New Member Area New to Monte Carlo Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Big Thanks...MCF solved ignition lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Default Big Thanks...MCF solved ignition lock problem

I just want to thank this forum and all the people who posted instructions and information about changing an ignition lock. I was getting the run around from the dealer and even independent mechanics. I have never taken my car in for repair, I usually do it myself.

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS. My key would not turn the ignition lock one day out of the blue. After 2 hours of wiggling and almost bending the key, a few frantic rants of frustration, I had the car towed.

The dealer quoted me at 700 for an ignition switch replacement. 3 independent mechanics had at 450. I was forced to search else where...here is where MTF comes in. Here is what I did.

1. I had a new key made. Has to be by factory code by a locksmith. Walmart and Home Depot only make a copy of your worn key.

2. New key turned the lock but with a little force and some wiggling.

3. Found local GM dismantlers that had the ignition lock cylinder. They sold me the cylinder with switch and housing, whole assembly with key for $40.

4. Removed the cylinder from new iginition switch and re-placed my worn one from my car. Car started even with new cylinder. I still did the re-learn procedures posted on here. The dealer was charging me an hour of labor to "code" new cylinder...not the tumbler to new key, that was an extra hour.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I've been on this forum since I discovered it. Loaded with info.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:55 AM

Hi Astflo,
Thanks for letting us know that things worked `out for you &
your Monte. Doing your homework & research saved you
some big dollars.
We wish you safe/fun miles in your Monte.
EnJoy

Old 07-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Welcome to the forum man. I was the same way i when started coming here. I had been a member of other forums but could not find the answers i needed. Then i decided to give this place a try. Almost 2 years later, i'm still here.

Really hope you decide to stay and become and active member. Maybe someday someone will come here and find his answers from one of your posts.

One more thing...

PICS PICS PICS

Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome....