Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

K & N Filter Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA
Hmm i think I'm the only one in the forum that likes the k&n lol ive had it for about 6 months now no problems. Sounds amazing and works fine. But guess i haven't tried a CAI to tell the difference
Maybe you like it because you haven't scanned for IATs?

Sure it flows well, and sounds good- but heat control is terrible. It seems like rather than get a snug fit, and a good seal- they make larger gaps and such for it to fit a wider variety of cars. If you just look at the 'heat shields' you can tell that they really aren't sealed off from the engine bay. When you have negative pressure in the filter area- it's going to pull air from all over- the fenderwell, and the engine bay (especially stopped and at low speeds).

Old 11-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzo
Well the money i got from selling my 86 is more then enough to make this car a performance car
And how much money are you talking here? To make your 6th Generation Monte Carlo a "Performance Car" and have it be able to compete with real "Performance Cars" you're going to need A LOT of money. Maybe your definition of performance is different than mine, but if you want it quick in the quarter mile, you won't get there NA so you are going to need boost. Turbo or SC, that choice is up to you. If you do go with boost, and more mods, you're eventually going to need a transmission that can handle running the car at a track. Also, you're probably going to go through a set of axles along the way. All things that you need to seriously consider before dumping money into your car.

I know there's plenty of people running under 12s in their W-bodys (even that isn't fast according to some people's definition), and a majority of them have a lot of money into their car. I would even go as far as saying you can't get under 12s, still be reliable for daily driving, for any less than probably 10k in total, assuming you buy new, non-used parts along with a built transmission, turbo kit, or SC, intercool, cam, tires that can hook, etc.

Just something to consider. I too wanted to go "performance car" with my daily driver, but it's just not going to happen. I'd much rather put the money towards a different car that's quicker in stock form and comes with a warranty, just my opinion though, I still think these cars are great for commuting/daily driving But it just comes down to how much money do you really want to put into a 12 year old front-wheel-drive car, your wallet will determine how far you go with any platform

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 11-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Yea that may be. Would recommendations would u give me to better my IATs without buying a whole new cai? Also, what is IATs? Lol

Old 11-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by SS Supercharged LA
Yea that may be. Would recommendations would u give me to better my IATs without buying a whole new cai? Also, what is IATs? Lol
IAT = Intake Air Temp.

Your best option, IMO, would be to make a Fenderwell Intake, or your own sealed box, or seal up your K&N. You want to keep your IATs within 10 degrees of the outside (ambient) temps.

Also, is there anyone here who scans IATs with their Cold Air Inductions intakes? I've always been curious how they stand up to in town driving conditions, lots of stops, in traffic, etc. Seems like a lot of people are getting them these days but all I ever see are pics and comments of how great they look. Anyone have proof of their performance vs. stock? I'd love some further justification of what $250+ will get you for a sealed box and filter