Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

K&N Filter

Old 10-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Default K&N Filter

I have a K&N cold air intake and it's time for it's cleaning. Does anybody has good sugestions on how to clean my filter out?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's probably the wrong answer, but I always do mine in the sink with dish detergent. Then I let it sit in the sun until completely dry. Then I oil it. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
It's probably the wrong answer, but I always do mine in the sink with dish detergent. Then I let it sit in the sun until completely dry. Then I oil it. Good luck.
Oh cool thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
I think K&N recommends against dish soap, as it may damage the material.

K&N sells a special cleaner/re-oil product (should be available at all parts stores that carry K&N filters). Basically, you spray the cleaning solution on the outside of the filter (the surface that faces the incoming air). After you let it sit, I think about 10 minutes, you rinse the filter.

IMPORTANT part about rinsing the filter, you rinse from the inside out. Another words, only run water through the opposite side you sprayed the cleaner. The reason for this is to prevent dirt particles from getting further lodged in the filter (if you rinsed from the outside in, you are trying to force the dirt to pass through the filter, which defeats it's design).

Lastly, you let the filter dry. After that, you need to re-oil it. If you do not re-oil it, the filter will eventually fail to work as designed.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
IMPORTANT part about rinsing the filter, you rinse from the inside out. Another words, only run water through the opposite side you sprayed the cleaner. The reason for this is to prevent dirt particles from getting further lodged in the filter (if you rinsed from the outside in, you are trying to force the dirt to pass through the filter, which defeats it's design).
Excellent point that I forgot to mention.

I 100% agree that you should follow K&N's recommended cleaning procedures if you can.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM

I haven't oiled/cleaned my k&N cone yet but I had a panel in my old bonne and I always cleaned and oiled per the directions

Since were on the subject, whats a good interval to oil and clean the filter? I've had my CAI with k&n cone filter on for over a year and 10,000 miles and it still looks as clean as when I installed it.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by labnjab
Since were on the subject, whats a good interval to oil and clean the filter? I've had my CAI with k&n cone filter on for over a year and 10,000 miles and it still looks as clean as when I installed it.
My Grand Am (which I drive year round with a panel filter), I usually clean/oil every other or every 3rd oil change.

THe Monte I only drive during the summer at the moment. I believe I put the K&N panel filter in last spring, and I have not cleaned it yet.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do my filter cleaning every spring as part of the Monte's spring cleaning. And to get it ready for all the pollen :P

Buy a K&N recharge kit (go for the aerosol oil, it's super easy and prevents you from over oiling) and just follow the directions that comes with it.

Make sure you pick a good sunny day and set yourself about 3 hours or more when you go to do the cleaning, as the filter needs to COMPLETELY dry so oil doesn't fly off and damage your MAF sensor.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I clean mine about once a year (every 30,000 ish miles). It does not even look very dirty at the time, but when you actually rinse it out, I definitely see the dirt. Keep in mind, I do mainly highway miles in a pretty clean environment. If you drive in dusty areas more often, I would not stretch the interval to 30K like I do.

I usually use simple green as the cleaner to soak the filter in, and clean it. Then I use the areosol can K&N oil to re-oil.

Be VERY careful to not over oil it. If you get to much oil on it, the excess will just get sucked in, and run right past your MAF sensor, do this a few times, and your MAF will be toast.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I clean mine about once a year (every 30,000 ish miles). It does not even look very dirty at the time, but when you actually rinse it out, I definitely see the dirt. Keep in mind, I do mainly highway miles in a pretty clean environment. If you drive in dusty areas more often, I would not stretch the interval to 30K like I do.

I usually use simple green as the cleaner to soak the filter in, and clean it. Then I use the areosol can K&N oil to re-oil.

Be VERY careful to not over oil it. If you get to much oil on it, the excess will just get sucked in, and run right past your MAF sensor, do this a few times, and your MAF will be toast.

I thought that simple green might be a good cleaner too for this.