Headers/Intake/Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Default K&N Air Filter

Hi, I wanted to start upgrading my engine and get more horsepower out of it, and I was wondering if this K&N air filter actually does increase horsepower and acceleration, has anyone used them and seen a difference, or will I just be buying a $50 air filter for nothing? Thanks alot. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...questid=296715

Old 08-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Hi Anthony, I think K&N makes a super product, & you get what you pay for. If you are only going for a panel filter, then K&N is a good choice if you are planning on keeping your Monte for a long time. There is a minor gain with Panel Filter's, but if you want more performance ?, I would consider a Cold Air Induction system.

Check back on your thread ? and I'm sure our member's that have them will post their comments/experience/suggestions.
Good Luck from `Space : )

Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Thanks kidspace, I was thinking of cold air, but it just seems really difficult in my engine bay, so I was going to do Short Ram Intake instead, because with the 5th gen Monte's it seems, once you get past like 3500 rpm then the car takes off, and since cold air intake really gives you power in the upper rpm's like 4000+, I was going to go with short ram and have an acceleration boost in the lower rpms.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 PM

Below link popped `up on our MCF Homepage Stating 37% off on air filters
check it out.
http://www.goairfilters.com/?gclid=C...FRmbnAodTCXfkg

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 PM

nice! Only $30 instead of $50, I love this forum.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:27 PM

..LoL `Anthony, I've found good things & people E.Z. to love 4-Sure. Let us know what you decide & give us your reviews when installed...Good Luck...

MonteCarloForums - Photo Galleries - Create an Account
Ads by Google

Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM

You really won't get much gain from a panel filter replacement- you can only increase flow so much with filter media design, its still the same size, and still has to filter the stuff out.

However, I bet you'd gain more that route than with a short ram- another name being HAI or hot air intake. Sure you get a lot more flow because of the bigger filter and less restrictive tubing, but your intake temperatures skyrocket doing this because now you're sucking in fan wash (keep in mind, the coolant inside the radiator is ~200*- so the air coming out is rather warm- and your filter is right next to your exhaust crossover).

If it were me, I'd either buy a panel filter and leave it, or spend the time to build a custom CAI box or FWI setup.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

this pic is from a member (mrl390), it is his 3.4 DOHC cai that i think he mad himself?? not sure though???

there is a thread started by (rocknss04) in which it states " BEST CAI, show me yours"! do a seach for it, there are some pretty nice pics of what other people have in their montes!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 AM

I actually went to Advanced Autoparts and purchased the panel K&N Air filter, it was $45 for me. I think I read online that they brag about gains of 1-4HP. You might gain 4HP if your previous filter was a FRAM with 20,000 miles in it. Still, 4HP is nothing you'll feel. The real benefit about the K&N is it's a cleaner filter, it will let cleaner air , and more air into your engine which is better for prolongning the life and adding very slight power, also, you only have to change the K&N filter every 50,000 miles, versus 10,000 for the standard paper filter. I've tested my car with the K&N filter plus synthetic oil, it's not a difference you feel, but you just might get some extra life out of that engine.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 PM

bumpin96monte is spot on with his advice.

I'd skip the panel K&N- I've been scanning IATs all week on my Regal GS (Wizaired cold air induction) and my Monte SS (gutted stock airbox with drop in K&N).

My GS never sees IATs more than 10* higher than external air temps.

My SS routinely is seeing IATs in the 140* range, even while driving! Not good- your PCM pulls considerable timing (2* if I recall correctly) when your IATs get this high.

Bottom line- if you car about performance, do a cold air induction or fenderwall induction kit (Wizaired, Thrasher, JMB, homemade, etc).

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter