Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Junkyard find :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by codell17
I'm pretty sure the L67 coils are the same GM part number as the regular 3800, ect, ect. I bought MSD coils and wires for my L67 and I like them a lot better. MSD wires have by far the least amount of OHMs per foot than any other wire on the market.
Some honda ricer did a ohm test with a bunch of pepboys and advance brands and found bwd, then bosch to be the best. all others where crap, but he didnt do any msd wires either. Not to take away from msd, alot of people (i have read) had a higher failure rate with any wires other then the oems for any of these engines.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by forgotten
Some honda ricer did a ohm test with a bunch of pepboys and advance brands and found bwd, then bosch to be the best. all others where crap, but he didnt do any msd wires either. Not to take away from msd, alot of people (i have read) had a higher failure rate with any wires other then the oems for any of these engines.
On the MSD website it says that they have the least amount of OHMs of any wire... but then again that could be marketing... Do you by chance have a link to that "ricer ohm test"? I am now very curious, because I just bought my MSD wires and have not had a chance to put them on, I may return them and get others, depending on this test. Thanks

Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 AM

On the MSD website it says that they have the least amount of OHMs of any wire... but then again that could be marketing... Do you by chance have a link to that "ricer ohm test"? I am now very curious, because I just bought my MSD wires and have not had a chance to put them on, I may return them and get others, depending on this test. Thanks
Spark Plug Wire Ohm Testing For My SRT-4 With Local Sets : OFF Topic (ie: nothing about computers)

it was for a ricer but wrong car. anyway here it is.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 AM

I may end up trying to redo this test on my own if i feel up to it.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks for posting that, it was very informational. I just wish they would've tested the MSD wires. I also wish GM would of put the coils on the valve covers on the L67 like the GM LS- series engines. The closer the coils are to the plug, the less resistance. Less resistance= more power

Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanks for posting that, it was very informational. I just wish they would've tested the MSD wires. I also wish GM would of put the coils on the valve covers on the L67 like the GM LS- series engines. The closer the coils are to the plug, the less resistance. Less resistance= more power
yup. but just remember that even though it may have less resistance, it may output more electrical interference to the pcm, radio and other electronics in the car. i looked on msd's site and they mention that. although i cant find anyone having a problem with interference.
if you have a meter its easy to take a ohm reading. im going to test the ones im throwing in in a bit.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm pretty sure the L67 coils are the same GM part number as the regular 3800, ect, ect. I bought MSD coils and wires for my L67 and I like them a lot better. MSD wires have by far the least amount of OHMs per foot than any other wire on the market.
Sorry man, L67 coils are different then the ones GM used on 3100/3400 and L36 3800. They have a different part numbers and are manufactured with a blue connector underneath (instead of the grey connector used on the coils found in other GM cars).

From the factory, GM uses the same ICM and same gauge/type wire (maybe even same length wires) on the L67 and L36, it's the coils that make a slight difference.

I can't say I've ever ohm-ed them out, but I've swapped three cars to L67 coils.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 AM

I stand corrected. I don't mind being wrong now and again, at least I learned from it. I like to learn as much as I can about these things. And you were also right, they do use the same length wires for the L67 and L36, cuz when I bought my MSD wires they were the same part number for both. Also if anyone is interested in buying my factory GM L67 coils, they are for sale. Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Last edited by codell17; 01-14-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 AM

@04chevyboy: How far "down" are you running to go parts hunting? Are you running down into the obvious place in Scranton along side 81?

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 AM

The bigger picture is what spark plugs you are running not what coils are on your car. All stock cars are going to have some KR and N/A cars are no exception. Adding a hotter spark is going to do nothing but possibly increase KR not decrease it. I have 4 sets of coils sitting here right now 1 set of L36 2 L67 and these ones from Jegs:

JEGS Performance Products 40122 JEGS GM DIS Coils

None of them make for better throttle response. As far as MSD the coils have been shown to have a high failure rate over stock coils. The best wires for your car are the stock wires but if you want to get some really good wires that are overkill then get wires from here:

Welcome to PRJ.Performance

I am not claiming I am an expert but I think with the stuff I have done to my car and my experience with different parts and mods I know a little about what I am saying.

Quick Reply: Junkyard find :)