Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: How much fluid to put in the 03 LS transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't know if there is a by the book specific order, but there may be, been a minute, but there is a method to alternate the tightening of them, it's not an all or nothing. Get them snug as you hopscotch around tightening them and then start all over again with the 2nd go round actually tightening them to spec. I reused my factory gasket on a work truck I used to have and never had a problem with it leaking, so while they can be reused perhaps this time since your cool new pan will have a drain plug the risk of damaging the seal is now limited to filter replacement sessions.

Bumpin mentioned the costs between III and VI fluid. I rehearsed in my mind why I did that and then I remembered I did conventional fluid swap outs twice and then did synthetic fluid top off, that was the price point difference. Now this was on my older 96 GMC Sierra, did this probably every 20k miles as its tranny was acting up, do the renew procedure, new synthetic Valvoline fluid like you are, Lucas Slip Stop and then eeek out another 20k or so till it started acting up again. Actually a great band aid that worked well enough versus a $2k tranny rebuild. My Monte I never have done this as it's tranny is rebuilt or freshened up often enough that the fluid never gets bad. Use the REDLINE D6 ATF, about $60 a gallon, ouch... Anywho, best of the best luck to you, you got this, be safe, get a nice led light setup that will work under the car so you can REALLY see what you are doing, put on some tunes, take a few drags off your cigarette and get busy.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:18 AM
1 Year Member

I found this video and its not only exactly what i will be doing but its on a 6th gen monte too, so this was helpful:

What i will do is take a paint pen and when i torque a bolt, i will just dab the end of the bolt head so i know which ones ive done already, then wipe it off when its all done. The only problem is he said 8 ft lbs i believe and my torque wrench goes from 10-150 ft lbs, and when i tested it it seemed a little out of calibration, and i have no idea where to get these calibrated. I will get a light, thats the only thing I forgot haha.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm telling you, when you are right at where you think they are snug, snap, lol, that happened to me on 2 bolts. 8lbs, that is nothing for sure. I never had a torque wrench, just worked blind, really never use one for anything other than what I think are critical assemblies and too not torque could lead to a catastrophic expensive failure, but then that's just me and my previous Army, "get it done yesterday" training. It's messy, but not to bad, your problem will be elevation, working with low clearance and trying to maneuver, manipulate things and yourself about under there. So just work in no hurry, suave muchacho...

Old 03-20-2022, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChayHAwk
The only problem is he said 8 ft lbs i believe and my torque wrench goes from 10-150 ft lbs, and when i tested it it seemed a little out of calibration, and i have no idea where to get these calibrated.
I'd pick up a new wrench as IMO the one you've got isn't the right one for this job. Even if the spec was 10, I'd still not use that wrench as the most variability in results tends to occur towards the outer limits. Last thing you want is to snap a head off.

I'd suggest switching over to an in-lb wrench. Thatll end up right in the middle of the range for a typical in-lb wrench.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:21 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah i was thinking about returning this wrench and i believe thats what i'll do. Do you have any suggestions for a good wrench to buy? I was thinking about getting a split beam style torque wrench as i hear those are much more accurate.

Last edited by ChayHAwk; 03-20-2022 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This guy made a nice video. Touched some good topics. I like how he pointed out the trans pan gasket (a topic I mentioned in another thread, he is SPOT on about being worth the money for a better gasket). And with the seal, I don't know that I ever needed more than a screw driver and a hammer.
To be honest, I am not sure I ever used a torque wrench on a trans pan. But I do tighten in cris-cross pattern, Not saying it is is wrong to use a torque wrench, but I don't believe I ever have. Some of it is just lots of experience doing this stuff.

It is awesome when people take time to make videos like this. Good information!

Old 03-20-2022, 09:41 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah that video is superb, i learned a lot from watching it for when i do my transmission pan. I ordered that gasket you suggested a few days ago and am just waiting for it to get here. Says it should be here the 24th. I dont really need to use a torque wrench, I just thought it was good form to use one, but if I can do it with just a socket wrench then i can do that, i'll just be careful. I'll also clean the entire area around the transmission so I can spot any leaks easier after taking it for a drive when im done. I would like to have a nice torque wrench though, its just nice to have around just in case.