Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Help please! 4t60-E swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Check out this post from another web site. Someone else had what appears to be the same issues as you and they found a solution. Not sure if your wiring issues are the same but worth checking into. The post is old (1995) so I don't know that you could still contact them. Link: http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...P-to-95-Lumina

Here's their stated problem:

4T60E Swap 93 GP to 95 Lumina
We swapped a 4T60E trans from a 93 Grand Prix into a 95 Lumina. Reverse works fine but trans only works in 2nd when place in drive. We suspect the wiring is not the same even though the connector fits. Does anyone have any experience with this swap and even better a wiring diagram?

Here's the solution they came up with:
Since we had no meaningful response to our questions we decided to try and solve it ourselves. We went to our local library which has access to Mitchell on Demand and retreived a couple of wiring diagrams and Transaxle Check Flow Charts for the 93 Grand Prix(4.3 engine) and the 95 Lumina(3100 engine), both 4T60E transmissions. The Lumina trans has a pressure sensor in the trans while the GP does not. The Following is how we made it work for us:
Step 1- After installing the GP trans in the Lumina remove the seven pin transaxle connector. Looking at the connector the pins are identified starting at the top and going clockwise as E, D, F, A, B, G, and C. You need to ask some GM engineer why this order???
Step 2- Cut or remove the wires at positions F and G. These were for the temp sensor. The pins can be removed by first taking off the plastic retainer and then inserting one leg of a small cotter pin into the small opening on the outside of the pin hole. This will release the pin which can be removed through the backside of the connector.
Step 3- Move the wire in position A to position F.(solenoid A)
Step 4- Move the wire in position B to position G.(solenoid B)
Step 5- You will need another pin with wire for this last step. We had an old wiring harness around that we used or you could use the wire and pin that you removed from position F or G. This wire needs to be connected(recommend soldering) to the wire in position E to provide power for the TCC.
Step 6- Insulate the cut or removed wires and plug it into trans and it worked for us.
If you have any questions or comments you can contact me at gcarson114@sbcglobal.net.

Last edited by JaxJim; 01-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM

thats known as LIMP mode when theres a fault in the electrical system of the transmission

Old 01-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Default Rewire of tranny

Ok, so from that site I notice the only difference is gear ratio's and the the tranny i put in is a non-PWM TCC.. so basically, this should work to rewire it? I'm pretty sure I understand what needs to be done from the other forum you posted, but just to be sure, this involves taking out the pins out of the round electrical connector from the physical TRANSMISSION itself, right? Also, any more descriptive instructions for what was listed on that post from somebody who understands exactly what needs to take place for me to accomplish this rewire without screwing it up would help greatly!

Last edited by Kuztom Dreamz; 01-18-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 AM
Default earlier question

Oh and to answer the earlier question, it was the only 4t60e tranny in the junkyard that didn't have tons of metal in the pan, and at the time I had no knowledge of transmission 'codes' Just needed to get my car running ASAP. I also used the TC from the same transmission because I wasn't sure of interchangeablility issues

Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

I really have no knowledge of transmissions. I'm just good at Googling stuff. Sounds like these other people found a way to revise the wiring at the connector so that the non-matching tranny could communicate with the car's computer. I really don't know if it's the same exact thing you're up against or not. Just figured I'd throw it out there and hope that it could lead you to a solution. Much easier than doing another trans swap if it could be made to work.

Oh and I just got a call from the shop where my car is sitting. The transmission is being replaced as I type. $1,725.91 out the door including tax. So, if you get it to work, you've saved at least that much.

I just hope that the transmission you bought is in good condition. My transmission fluid was nice and clean and red, and the pan was clean, but the clutch's were flat worn out. Of course this trans has over 200,000 miles on it, and hopefully your replacement had much less.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Well thanks for all the info guys, i'm going to try to make sense of what was in that post as best I can and get out there and give it a whirl, i'll let you guys know what happens