Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: Fixing the Tansmission Myself?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Fixing the Tansmission Myself?????

Hi Guys,
So, finances being what they are, I'm Seriously considering replacing the TCC in my trans myself. Question is, since the CEL is only putting out the code for the TCC, should I just replace that or should I replace the Shift Solenoids, the Pressure Switch and Valve Body?

My Symptoms, along with the code, are:
I feel it shift to 3rd gear if I let of the gas at 25 - 45 mph. If I am on a flat surface I can maintain it in 3rd. but if I try to accelerate it slips back down to Second gear. It will not hold speed if I am going up hill in the 3rd gear range unless I make it downshift, basically letting it slip back to 2nd. It's almost like there is not enough pressure to hold it in 3rd.
The other gears are fine although they do up shift a little higher in the RPM range than I think they should. At 70 MPH my RPMs are at about 2400 and if I try to accelerate it can go as hi as 3000 RPMs.
Also, if I do Hard acceleration, like when entering the highway, I have to let off the gas for it to shift into 4th from where 3rd was supposed to be.
When Decelerating, say from 70MPH, I can feel it downshift through all gears although 3rd does not feel firm.
I'm considering doing this myself because the car HAS to go through inspection by the end of the month and I don't see having the funds to have a Trans Shop do it for me. Plus, I need to replace the Hub Assembly and have to Rotor cut on that side of the car. Since I have to take that side of the car apart to do those, I may as well do the trans at that same point.
I can get the TCC for about $35. Or I can get the Kit with both Shift Solenoids, Pressure Switch and Valve Body along with the TCC off EBay for $85. As I said, I have other parts I have to get for that side as well and since funds are Very Low I don't want to replace parts that I don't really need at this time.

So what I am looking for is Opinions from those members who have had the TCC code come up, had similar symptoms and done the work themselves!
Please keep in mind that my Time and my Funds are shot and I can not afford to have the car spend any downtime!
Thanks for the help guy! I Really Appreciate All the Help from MCF!!!!!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I never had the TCC code, but I did have P1811 (long shift, max line pressure). Pulled the motor and trans, took off the side cover and replaced all 4 solenoids. That was the easy part. Didn't touch the valve body though.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I will be doing this under my Factor Shade Tree, on the street around the corner from my House. Some of my best Monte work has been done under that Tree. But I have no Cherry Picker to pull the anything so I have to go in from the wheel Well. Fun, Fun, Fun?
So what happened that you would not do the valve body? One video I saw made it look Farley easy, once you removed the Everything Else in front of the cover!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

I had a bad pressure control solenoid, everything else was fine. Replaced all the solenoids, since I was already in there. I've heard it's easier to drop the cradle to do this repair, but I had an engine lift on hand. Sure made it easy doing the oxygen sensor. lol

Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member

That's what the guy at the Trans shop said. But That's not happening on the street. I'll just have to take the Everything off to get to it! I saw a Video from one of our Members on YouTube. He didn't show what he did to get to the cover but the only thing left was the strut hanging from the tower.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Sucks to be that tight on the coin, but love your I'm going to get it done myself attitude. And with that I bet you can do it, sorry I'm no help with knowledge JC. Information, time, tools and a Valium are your freinds with this delicate project.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Greg for the vote of confidence!
I really have no choice. So I am gonna get the kit with the 4 sensor and the MPS. Swap them all out and Hope that the partial rebuild will be enough for now. I mean, the Trans does what it's suppose to just try not as firm as I expect So correcting the TCC and replacing the other solenoids should be enough. And I looked at some pics of the job being done and saw that only the axle was removed, the spindle sat to the side and maybe the end link was dropped. Maybe I should pick up a need end link set. So far, everything I have done to my car has been replacingoriginal parts. But when I did the other side the end link bushings looked good and the bolt came off without a hitch, just a little liquid wrench!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

all of the sensors are under the side cover and clipped into the valve body. no need to remove valve body to change sensors. this is a big pain to do in the car because of there the bolts are on the side cover etc. you need to keep everything super clean once that side cover is off do to having the whole trans exposed. the 3-4 bolts along the bottom of the side cover are a torx bit and there brutal to get out (mine stripped the head of the bolt and had to go another method to get it out)

just take your time and keep bolts in order of where they go. also buy some trans goo so when reinstalling you can stick the rubber seal that will fall out and the gasket in place.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

Good advise, Thanks Everyone! When I do it I will try to take pics of the procedure!