Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

2002 ls

Old 07-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Default 2002 ls

any performance mods that arent through the roof for this 6 banger,not looking for a screamer maybe something with a little umph,thanks

Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cai and tune is about all you can go without spending an arm and a leg, maybe some exhaust too

Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM

There's a few: ZZP Downpipe (w/ a high flow cat), Wizaired CAI (K&N is cheap but poorly designed), maybe change out the exhaust (I added a Y pipe w/ dual Magnaflows...they really add some tone to the 3400). Tuned PCM. That's about it really.

Downpipe w/ high flow cat (made w/ 304 stainless) is about $280 (if you get this, you'll want to have the P0420 code flashed out otherwise it might throw a check engine light because the high flow cat makes the car think the cat is going bad since it filters less...still emissions legal though). >> http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/...ts1.php?id=635

Wizaired CAI is $220...about $260 if you have ZZP include a 4" Filter >> http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=247&catid=113

Tune will very by who does it, etc. A few people have used this guy and are very happy w/ him >> http://www.getoverkilled.ca/ >> Here's a thread on it; https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ni...rsports-29720/

Exhaust...mine cost $680, however, I had a lot of my piping changed to 304 stainless, my resonator patched, tips (that was over $100 right there). Plus fabricating the Y pipe. The Magnaflow muffer itself was $155 a piece.

Last edited by Mike 00LS; 07-28-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Added Price Estimates & websites
Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mogwog
There's a few: ZZP Downpipe (w/ a high flow cat), Wizaired CAI (K&N is cheap but poorly designed), maybe change out the exhaust (I added a Y pipe w/ dual Magnaflows...they really add some tone to the 3400). Tuned PCM. That's about it really.

Downpipe w/ high flow cat (made w/ 304 stainless) is about $280 (if you get this, you'll want to have the P0420 code flashed out otherwise it might throw a check engine light because the high flow cat makes the car think the cat is going bad since it filters less...still emissions legal though). >> ZZ Performance

Wizaired CAI is $220...about $260 if you have ZZP include a 4" Filter >> ZZ Performance

Tune will very by who does it, etc. A few people have used this guy and are very happy w/ him >> :: Overkill Motorsports :: >> Here's a thread on it; https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ni...rsports-29720/

Exhaust...mine cost $680, however, I had a lot of my piping changed to 304 stainless, my resonator patched, tips (that was over $100 right there). Plus fabricating the Y pipe. The Magnaflow muffer itself was $155 a piece.
this^

was on my phone earlier hah

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
this^

was on my phone earlier hah
I was wondering about that. Usually you're a lot more in detail w/ your posts... But that explains why.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by mogwog
I was wondering about that. Usually you're a lot more in detail w/ your posts... But that explains why.
i was on lunch break and had like 5 mins left and wouldn't have had time to fill it all in lol, i figured someone would help me out =D

Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rags
any performance mods that arent through the roof for this 6 banger,not looking for a screamer maybe something with a little umph,thanks
I prefer not to give out performance secrets to people who like to call these "6 bangers" (they are unworthy to knw)

Just kidding.

The 3800 lends itself to a LOT more options then the 3400.

Mogwog and Trewyn15 summed up a lot of good info. I suppose the biggest question, what type of budget do you have. One thing they did not throw in there, you can add L67 coil packs (these are the ones used on the 3800 SuperCharged engine). They give a slightly hotted spark, translating to slightly improved throttle response. I would not go crazy on these, I got lucky to score a set from a junk yard for $15!! Both my 3800 N/A Monte have a set of them and so does my 3100 powered Grand Am (the 3100 was an earlier build of what is now the 3400). The L67 coils IMO are worth about $15-$20 for what they yield (so don't go nuts on that mod).

A resenator delete can also offer a small boost a little performance with no emissions or PCM effects (and I bet most exhaust shops would do that for a little amount of money). It only changes the pitch/tone on your exhaust. My 3100 powered Grand Am never had a resenator and sounds fine to me. I just had it deleted on my Monte because the after market cheap-o res the shop was putting on kept blowing the baffles loose every 3K miles or close to.

As already stated, could throw in a Wizaird CAI (if you don't want to install a CAI, you could at least installed a better flowing air filter like a drop-in K&N).

On a 3400 powered car, I'm not sure how valuable putting a ZZP downpipe and highflow cat would be. I leave that up to those who have done that mod and can give you some answers.

The CAI, Downpipe and a tune can get rather pricy.

The Monte and other W-Bodies are more popular to modding the 3800 drive trains. You may also want to check the Grand Am forums to see what those guys have done (since the 3400 is the biggest engine in the N-Bodies).

Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I prefer not to give out performance secrets to people who like to call these "6 bangers" (they are unworthy to knw)

You can add L67 coil packs (these are the ones used on the 3800 SuperCharged engine). They give a slightly hotted spark, translating to slightly improved throttle response. I would not go crazy on these, I got lucky to score a set from a junk yard for $15!!
Hmm, didn't know that. Learned something new today. You get yours at Cleveland Pull-A-Part or just a junkyard?

A resenator delete can also offer a small boost a little performance with no emissions or PCM effects
This one is really up to personal preference. Some don't notice a real change in sound, some do. I mean, if you're having issues with it cracking all the time, or baffle letting loose, then by all means dump it, but I think it sounds a little too droney. Sometimes, just getting a shorter one can help w/ flow and it gives a deeper tone.

As already stated, could throw in a Wizaird CAI (if you don't want to install a CAI, you could at least installed a better flowing air filter like a drop-in K&N)
Only thing with K&N is, if you don't find some way to heat shield it, it'll just turn into a hot air intake and pull the heat from inside the engine bay. Hot air actually decreases performance.

On a 3400 powered car, I'm not sure how valuable putting a ZZP downpipe and highflow cat would be
Just as valuable as on a 3800. It serves the same purposes. It opens the pipe up to be a full 2.5", removes the U-Bend, which is a major cripple in the exhaust system, and the high flow cat helps increase exhaust flow, helping the engine breath better.

Getting a tune is about $155 from Will at Overkill and a lot of people recommend him because he dramatically changes the shift points which is one thing that really hold the car back.