Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 SS No Start Condition

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Default 2002 SS No Start Condition

I have a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and the darn thing will not start. About 3 weeks ago I took it into the dealer for a battery issue (the battery was original and suffered a complete drain overnight) and they replaced it telling me the battery was just old and died. Well I parked the car this past Friday, left it alone all day Saturday and went to start it Saturday evening. I turned the key (to ACC) and everything powered up. I contiuned to turn the key to start it and absolutely nothing happened. Not even clicking indicating the battery had gone dead. When I turn the key to ACC everything powers up fine. I can even hear the fuel system powering up. Since the first incident I have been monitoring my guages and the voltmeter indicates that I am putting a positive charge into the battery when the car is running. I dunno where to look or what the possible problem is. Any one wanna take a stab at this one? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Default RE: 2002 SS No Start Condition

could be a bad ground. Clean the battery ternminals. Next check battery voltage. There could be a circuit draining the battery. if thats not it, get back to me, and ill read my damn electrical book, and see what else to check.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:23 PM

Starter solenoid.....

Tj

Old 11-20-2005, 06:55 PM

have you added anything tot he car recently? Like a radio etc...
Anythign other then a stock system that might cuase a drain on power for the system?

also as crazy as this sounds pull the rear seats down in the car and lock it up and check to make sure your trunk light is going out and also the glove compartment light is out. I have had one in the 78 that the trunck light would stick on on me once in awhile and i would have this issue. the other thing is to check and see if your run down solinoid (the one that shuts everythign off after 20 min. ) is not bad. It might be somethign that normally shuts down but the solinoid is in the wrong position cuasing it to drian .

Good luck
I have the full factory manuals on the 03 i will see if they say any thing for this in them also/

Old 11-21-2005, 09:47 PM

Its an 02 but do u have warranty left? May be easier and cheaper for the dealer to fix. If not then like Boost said check the cable on the battery for looseness or corrosion. Possibly overtightened the side post terminal and has bad connection in the battery. Turn headlights on and try to start, do H/L go out or not? If not then starter isnt drawing and prob solenoid or possibly ignition switch. Havent had an alarm or remote start put in, have u?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM

Security Module?

When I had this problem everything would turn on but the engine. I thought it might be some sort of main fuse issue. If I would leave it alone for about 30 minutes it would fire up. I guess this is the amount of time it takes to reset?

I had just changed out the Alt and battery about a month before I started having problems.

Are you getting a "security" warning light at all.

The dealer switched out the module, and I haven't had a repeat of the problem.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:09 AM

i was thinking theft deterent but that is usually the fuel cut off. it should crank yet. maybe a fault in the ingnition switch itself?

Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions all....after fumbling around a bit I found that there were actually two issues. The first and far more serious than the second was the BCM had failed. Apparently as it did it caused an ignition module to fail as well. All totaled a $900 fix by the dealer. My warranty had run out (had 69k miles on the car) and I ended up using the mechanical breakdown coverage I had through my insurance company. That knocked it down to the $250 deductable as my end of it. Rather than fool with the car anymore I got it repaired and ran down to my nearest Chevy dealer and traded it in on a little 4 banger. It has alot of spunk but not nearly as much as the MCSS. Oh well...it still is an SS even though it is a Cobalt. Happy holidays

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 AM

I just replaced the battery in my 01 monte and when I got the new battery in, it did the same thing. I found on the passenger fender well are two aux post. One of the wires was broken. I had a friend hold the broken wire to where it came from, and it started. So if ya haven't found the problem yet check that. It was an easy fix.