Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Clay Bar & Clear Coat Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Clay Bar & Clear Coat Sealant

I've spent the entire morning going over the entire car with a clay bar and finished it off with Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and the results were amazing. I was shocked to see the amount of dirt residue the bar picked up and the sealant product made the paint feel like glass. The sealant was also super easy to remove and took very little to do the whole car.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Clay Bar & Clear Coat Sealant

ORIGINAL: montejass

I've spent the entire morning going over the entire car with a clay bar and finished it off with Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and the results were amazing. I was shocked to see the amount of dirt residue the bar picked up and the sealant product made the paint feel like glass. The sealant was also super easy to remove and took very little to do the whole car.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

But yeah, that's the good thing about sealants. One thing I didn't hear you talk about though was polish and wax. Why did you skip those steps, especially after claying?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: 04MonteLS

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

But yeah, that's the good thing about sealants. One thing I didn't hear you talk about though was polish and wax. Why did you skip those steps, especially after claying?
I did skip those two steps as they were not suggested steps according to Wolfgang. Are the polish & wax required steps? What will happen if I only use the sealant?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:41 PM

I did skip those two steps as they were not suggested steps according to Wolfgang. Are the polish & wax required steps? What will happen if I only use the sealant?
You absolutely should polish and wax before applying the sealant, especially after claying. Detailing is basically 3 steps, cleaning, polishing and protecting. By using the clay bar, you did the cleaning part. The next step should be to polish the paint which improves the texture of the paint by filling in any minor scratches and swirls which would surely be left behind due to the clay process. It also helps lay down a perfect foundation for the protection step by leaving behind a smooth, glossy surface. After polishing, the wax or sealant should be applied to protect and enhance the shine from the polishing you just did.

Going from clay to sealant is like applying a clear coat to a paint job w/o wet sanding the color coat first. You wouldn't do that would ya?

And Wolfgang does recommend the process as stated above, as noted here

Old 08-02-2005, 01:14 PM

I was not after optimal results... lol

I am pretty happy with the results, but I plan to wax it as you suggested next time I clay it. This weekend I have to try to clean up my wifes truck. I'll try it on that and let you know how things work out.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 PM

I was not after optimal results... lol

I am pretty happy with the results, but I plan to wax it as you suggested next time I clay it. This weekend I have to try to clean up my wifes truck. I'll try it on that and let you know how things work out.

No worries, just letting you know how it should be done. Where did you get the Wolfgang and how much did it cost you? I have heard nothing but good stuff about thier product.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM

I purchased it directly through the autogeek.com website through the many links on our forum. In all I think I paid around $30 for the clay bar and the sealant. I've never used anything like the sealant before and it's well worth a try.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM

I purchased it directly through the autogeek.com website through the many links on our forum. In all I think I paid around $30 for the clay bar and the sealant. I've never used anything like the sealant before and it's well worth a try.

Sealants are nice, very easy to use and the results are remarkable. The thing I love about Wolfgang sealants, they are water soluable.

Old 08-13-2005, 04:30 AM

When i got my 03 it was pretty clean. ( one reason i bought it).

The paint was very good, but after i clayed it, it was soooo smooth.

After polishing and waxing i can see the advantage of the clay system.

Very easy to do and definately worth the time.

Tj

Old 08-13-2005, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: 03SSdriver

When i got my 03 it was pretty clean. ( one reason i bought it).

The paint was very good, but after i clayed it, it was soooo smooth.

After polishing and waxing i can see the advantage of the clay system.

Very easy to do and definately worth the time.

Tj
True story