Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

So what's with this clay bar stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default So what's with this clay bar stuff?

Almost everyone I know uses the clay bar on their cars....what is the purpose of this, "Clay Bar"...does it replace the waxing process? I saw on the mothers clay bar kit box and it said to use in between washing and waxing...

BTW what do you guys suggest for the ultimate waxing? Im looking for something that's either a spray on (Im using Meguiars Quick Detail) or someting like Ice....(I heard bad reviews about it)....Thanks!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

spray on wax will never work as well as the time-intensive waxes.

A claybar is a way to remove the contaminants off the cars paint that you can feel when rubbing your hand after the car is clean. After a claybar it will feel as smooth as glass.

I use one every year after winter to remove all of the harsh winter stuff.

There are a few threads about claybars and how they work, I'll see if I can find it.

*Edit*
Found the link! here you go I wrote a long intensive write-up on the process, and other members also contributed with their knowledge of the products.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 05-12-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: adding the link
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 PM

Awesome. Thanks alot!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

The title makes you sound like Seinfeld. But I thought he was into Porsches?? lol

Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

this link explanes ALOT. please take a look

clay bar dosnt replace anything,,

TIP: take a sandwich bag and put it on your had and run your fingers down the side of your car if its ruff then is need a clay bar kit.

i would stay away from luquid clay bars they dont compeat with the hard bars.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:32 PM

So, yeah....even though its suppose to rain tonight, I went ahead and washed my car just to get a fresh coat of wax on it...but after the wash I got carried away =[...I cleaned my rims, washed my car, Rubbing Compound it, Waxed it, Cleaned the Windows, Rain-X'd the Windows, and then Polished my rims....all in all, it was 8:25pm when I was completely done....checking the fluids....it was roughly 4-5pm when I started...hehe

but yeah, I decided to give "Victoria" (my mc) a feel....and yeah, she feels rough....time to give her my bar haha =P...clay bar...clay bar is what I meant...yeah....DONT JUDGE ME =[

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 PM

i said it before and i will continue to rep it

meguires is the best out there!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

i clay barred my car once and was a little dissappointed actually. it did take away contaminants, but it did not take away my hard water spots like it says it will. i just used a solid rubbing compound and that worked.

on the other hand, i purchased my turtle wax liquid ice wax and BAM. i dont think i'll use another wax again. i was so happy with the results. my car is soooo soft now. shined like brand new. its great because you dont have to worry about avoiding the rubber molding and trim...it works on that too! very easy to apply and take off. i applied it in moderate sun so my car was warm to the touch, its a synthetic wax so thats ok to do. its great because i dont have access to shade around my complex for waxing.

in a nutshell, thats probably the only wax i'll invest $20 bucks for. probably the only wax i'll use again.

and of course this is me: (help, im trapped in a nutshell!)

haha.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MonteLSV6
Almost everyone I know uses the clay bar on their cars....what is the purpose of this, "Clay Bar"...does it replace the waxing process? I saw on the mothers clay bar kit box and it said to use in between washing and waxing...

BTW what do you guys suggest for the ultimate waxing? Im looking for something that's either a spray on (Im using Meguiars Quick Detail) or someting like Ice....(I heard bad reviews about it)....Thanks!
The package is worth it, though the bottle of wax they give has just barely enough to wax your car. Just make sure you have about 7 hours of free time to wash-clay-and wax. And it is very important to take your time on the clay and to keep it clean.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by PINKFLOYD_
The package is worth it, though the bottle of wax they give has just barely enough to wax your car. Just make sure you have about 7 hours of free time to wash-clay-and wax. And it is very important to take your time on the clay and to keep it clean.
What the?

7hrs to wash, clay and wax your car? That's insane!

Wash = 30 min at most

Clay = 30 min at most

Wax = 30 min at most

So even if you're taking your sweet time, it should only take you 1.5hrs at most to do that process. I usually do wash/clay/wax jobs in an hour or less.

The trick is to clay the car using the leftover water from the final rinse as the lube. Just make sure to have a bottle of QD on hand if you need more lube.

Quick Reply: So what's with this clay bar stuff?