Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Best wax for a black Monte?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Here we go with the splitting hairs comment again

You asked what the best wax is, he suggested a sealant, I just clarified that one is not the other, not to be a jerk (and not aware of your intended generalization) but for information's sake. If you wanted to know what the best paint protection product is then you should have said as much instead of generalizing and expecting me to know that. Wax is Wax, Sealant is Sealant, Polish is Polish. No need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch, did you not read the part where I said "i'm not trying to make a big deal out of it (so don't make a big deal out of it)?"

You could have simply clarified your generalization and left it at that but instead you chose to promote negativity by your condescending reply. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Most of you guys are casual users of car care products and therefore speak in casual terms, using these products helps put food on the table for me and my family so I have a passion for it and all that's related to it, including educating people on things like the differences between products. When i'm speaking to a client and am made aware that a "detailer" gave him bad info or did a bad job on his vehicle, it bothers me because I'm a detailer and it makes me look bad. Perfect example; How many times have you (or someone you know) had a bad experience at a place of business and because of that, vow to never give them your business again? So because one person's actions (or inaction) at that company, the whole company gets written off? That's how it is for detailers too, when people are given bad info (or a bad job) by a "detailer" then they are much more cautious and that makes me have to sell harder and prove that i'm not just blowing smoke like the last guy.

So that's where i'm coming from, can we get past this now?

I didn't see his comment as condecending at all. I can understand you keeping waxes and polishes separate, they are indeed different. However, for the average user, we may not know the difference, hence the 'wax' generalization. I think what he was trying to say was he didnt care if it were a wax or a polish, whatever works best. Knowing this, maybe you could help explain what the differences are (I'd like to know, also) I'm not trying to be negative towards you or anyone else, just trying to keep this thread from going the wrong direction.

Shoot if I were close to you, 04MonteSS, I'd have you detail out my monte.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Toasty
I didn't see his comment as condecending at all.

You probably have a different favorite song than I do too, does that mean you're right and I'm wrong?

I think what he was trying to say was he didnt care if it were a wax or a polish, whatever works best. Knowing this, maybe you could help explain what the differences are (I'd like to know, also)

Shoot if I were close to you, 04MonteSS, I'd have you detail out my monte.
I understand what he meant now that he clarified, he explained where he was coming from, I explained where I was coming from, it's a dead issue AFAIC.

As for the difference between waxes/sealants, etc., I pretty much covered it already in this thread.

Wax - Paste or liquid form, contains carnauba, usually protects anywhere from 1-3 months. Gives a warm, deep, glossy shine.

Sealant - 100% synthetic, only liquid form, does not contain any wax or carnauba, extremely durable; usually protects anywhere from 3-12 months. Almost always easier to apply/remove compared to waxes (but many waxes have caught up in that regard.) Forms a hard shell of protection on your paint, results in a wonderful shine that generally lacks in depth and warmth in comparison to the finish of a good carnauba wax.

That pretty much sums it up, without getting into too much detail.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM

You probably have a different favorite song than I do too, does that mean you're right and I'm wrong?

nope, not in the slightest. what i was meaning was that i didnt think he meant it to sound condecending, that's all.

perhaps a different thread is in order for my next question-

That pretty much sums it up, without getting into too much detail.

could you suggest some reading, or go into some more detail on the benefits/differences, etc? I'm interested in more info!

thanks, man

Old 07-30-2009, 11:59 PM

could you suggest some reading, or go into some more detail on the benefits/differences, etc? I'm interested in more info!

thanks, man
Sure, I'll start a new thread...if not tonight, tomorrow for sure.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

And all this apparently bring us back full circle. What product out there (being non-specific at to type) will give my black Intimidator SS that great high gloss shine that typically only a good carnuba wax can give, without leaving all the white residue in every little crack and emblem corner, that takes FOREVER to remove?

I've had several suggestions, both here and by PM, asking me to not share their secret products. I appreciate all the input.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
And all this apparently bring us back full circle. What product out there (being non-specific at to type) will give my black Intimidator SS that great high gloss shine that typically only a good carnuba wax can give, without leaving all the white residue in every little crack and emblem corner, that takes FOREVER to remove?

I've had several suggestions, both here and by PM, asking me to not share their secret products. I appreciate all the input.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but from what I have been reading, a wax will give the deeper shine, but doesnt last as long as a polish. some people will polish first, then after that cures (24 hours) put a wax on top to get the benefits of both.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but from what I have been reading, a wax will give the deeper shine, but doesnt last as long as a polish. some people will polish first, then after that cures (24 hours) put a wax on top to get the benefits of both.
Kinda...the problem lies in terminology. Polishes like Liquid Glass, Finish First, and Zaino, they are actually synthetic polymer sealants, not to be confused with true polishes like Optimum, Wolfgang, Menzerna, Meguiars and Mothers, to name a few. True polishes are actually what give your car it's shine, they are meant to remove imperfections in the paint in preparation for the LSP (wax or sealant). Polishes have very little protective properties which is why it's necessary to apply an LSP afterwards.

Judging from your comment, you're referring to sealants and you're 100% correct.

I just wanted to clarify the difference between wax, sealants and polish.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

for some clarification is Meguiars NXT generation tech wax 2.0 a wax or a polish or is both. i have used it and its great but for the polish then wax thing with sealing it in. is there something you should use before or after useing that product!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jaws2008
for some clarification is Meguiars NXT generation tech wax 2.0 a wax or a polish or is both. i have used it and its great but for the polish then wax thing with sealing it in. is there something you should use before or after useing that product!
It's a sealant, it contains no wax. The stuff is pretty damn good, BTW. I like using it after Megs Show Car Glaze #7, the shine is breathtaking!

Because it's a sealant, you can put a nice carnauba wax on top of it for the ultimate shine and protection.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

It's a sealant, it contains no wax. The stuff is pretty damn good, BTW. I like using it after Megs Show Car Glaze #7, the shine is breathtaking!

Because it's a sealant, you can put a nice carnauba wax on top of it for the ultimate shine and protection.
Thanks. i been wondering that for a long time, i will try some of that and see some results!