General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Best car wax on a black car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:05 PM
3 Year Member
Default Best car wax on a black car?

2006 Black Monte Carlo SS.

Purchased last saturday, spotless.

6 days later...filthy!!!

I don't mind a weekly cleaning, but I was wondering what a good car polish/wax would be for a black car. Something to make the car look deep and wet and shiney without the swirls.

What all do you use?

I used to use Zymol on my old pontiac and nova, but I can already tell that I will need a black paint wax for my black car!

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is just the nature of a black car. Black is beautiful, but it is hard to clean. Do you live on a dirt road? Have you ever owned a black car in the past? Members here have a tough time keeping their black clean, as does anyone with a black car.

I, on my blue car, use Meguiars Gold Class, about $14 for the paste wax... and it works great for me, I love it! I also polish with the Turtle Wax polishing compound. But for your black, it will require something different Black shows swirls like something you've never seen. There are special waxes on the market that are really good for black, so I hear, but I can't recommend one to you as I have never used one.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 PM
3 Year Member

No dirt road thanks fully and no, I've never had a black car.

I don't know how comfortable I am using a polishing compound on the car! I guess I would use the finest grade I can get. Would the swirls come from the polish or the wax?

...should have got the silver Carlo!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should have got the silver!!! I've used Turtle Wax polishing compound (the green tub, not the brown tub, that's rubbing compound, which is more gritty) I think the swirls come from the wax... but I could be wrong. We start getting into pure personal opinions when we talk wax. I can't offer a good opinion on black because all I know about black is that it's HARD to clean! The polish comes off as a bunch of white powder sometimes.... I do think using a polish and then a wax cuts back on the swirls though. I'm no detailing expert... I'm pretty fair with my own cars... but we need to wait and see what some members with black cars tell us how they keep theirs clean.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Default car wax.......

...I don't know if there is a special blend of car polish for Black color ?
Maybe some of the guys and gals that own black colored cars can offer
some advice ? I would advise....after you wash it really good.....use a clay bar
kit ( Meguires , Mothers )........go over the car real good with it and then I recommend
Meguires Gold Class as well. It's a very good polish and lasts a long time. It goes on easy and
comes of easy. I would recommend that you polish one area at a time.
Hope that helps ?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the Megiures NXT wax works well on black - I had a metallic black Mini Cooper S and it was by far the easiest to use and with great results. I used the liquid wax and applied it with a red foam wax pad and a porter cable orbital - yes I'm lazy. I removed the wax by hand with a mircrofiber cloth.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 AM

Black cars are so nice when they are clean. But it's a constant battle to keep them that way. Especially here in the NorthWest. Every time I buy a black car I say "never again". But when I see that glossy, shiny finish I just can't seem to stop myself. This is my 4th black one. I'm sure I'll have a 5th someday......

I've used the Megiures NXT wax as well. Works great, but I do like the Zaino products the best. I use the Z-5 pro with the ZFX accelerator monthly with a complete claybar and rewax 2x a year. A bit pricey but my black car actually seems to repell the dirt somewhat. I know, sounds crazy, but the car does stay cleaner for longer. And the more coats you put on, 3+, the better it looks. For me it's worth the effort.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2 on Zaino. It can take you 8 hours to finish, but putting on multiple coats with layers of other products (they have how-tos on the site) is worth it.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 PM
3 Year Member

Thanks guys for all of the advice. I was a little nervous about using polishing compound, so I went with real fine grit stuff, I forget what its called, which the guy at Kragen said would do an okay job.

Just put a coat on by hand and I must say, it looks a lot better - still a few noticeable surface scratches that I just couldn't rub out, I'm assuming I need to find a little harsher grit polish to get those out. But either way, it looks a heck of a lot better.

Next up is Zymol! I wish I had a buffer, my arm is tired.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...VBGFPNBQWC71HY

Honestly, I don't know how well it works because I haven't personally tried it, but I wouldn't mind finding out. It does look promising.

Quick Reply: Best car wax on a black car?