Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Wider tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM

I'm glad someone else spoke up about spacers being a bad idea. So I won't get into that argument. Other than agreeing that its a bad idea.

I went with 18x8 rims, only 1 inch wider but most of that is on the outside, which is normal for most aftermarket rims.

When buying aftermarket wheels, its best to buy rims and tires together and get the shop to try one for fitment before committing to all 4.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, here's my 2 cents worth... I run wheel spacers, however, I think you need to define more clearly what they are... Here goes, there are 3 types of wheel spacers (maybe more, but these are the big 3)... Standard spacers, usually below 1/2" which require extended wheel bolts (not recommended), second, car specific spacers with correct high quality wheel bolts included (better, but still not ideal), 3rd type of spacers are very different, they attach to the HUB just like your rim and then have seperate bolts to mount your rim, typical off-set for this type of spacer starts at 1" (these are safe and recommended if not buying off set rims)... I run this type with 1" in the front and 1 1/4" in the back, and I do agree that any tampering from stock set-up will cause premature wear, but this is what we do, it breaks and we repair and strengthen and then sometimes do it again... I have attached a pic of what they look like... Also, if you do go this route, be sure to understand where they are manufactured, buying them from China will save you a few bucks, but perhaps not your life... Mine are manufactured in the USA to exacting standards with quality materials and workmanship... Hope this is helpful... Again, the best possible solution is to buy off-set rims, however, that is not an option for me as I love my stock rims...

Attached Thumbnails Wider tires-271343199085_1.jpg  

Last edited by Crusader SS; 03-01-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Call your local track and ask if you are allowed to run wheel spacers or adapters. Read the NHRA rule book. Talk to some experienced racers and ask their opinion of spacers.
My bad. I forgot that there are so many members here who regularly race their 4,000lb fwd Monte Carlo at the race track

Your points are valid for a race car setup, but we're speaking of real life, every day Monte Carlo drivers who will never see a track or race their Montes on a full-time basis. The average Joe just wants to widen the track on their street driven Monte Carlo...The billet spacers are generally stronger than the wheels themselves, so what is the issue?

Got any pictures or videos of cars sheering off suspension parts due to quality, US built wheel spacers?

Last edited by SSilver; 03-01-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Old 03-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That video doesn't show that spacers are safe, it merely shows that if you widen your stance you have less chance of rolling over.

Running down the track or running down the street is irrelevant. The danger is equal. The centerline of the wheel is positioned to carry the load of the vehicle. If you use a spacer you move the centerline of the wheel outward. This throws the geometry of the suspension off and puts additional stress on the wheel studs, bearings, axles and pinion gears. Wheels studs can shear off, bearings can fail and suspension parts wear at an accelerated rate. Using different width spacers front/rear makes the problem worse because it affects the oversteer/understeer of the vehicle.

By altering the offset of the wheel you can retain the original positioning of the centerline so you're not shifting the weight of the vehicle onto the studs. The suspension geometry remains intact, parts exhibit normal wear and you don't have to worry about the studs shearing off - which happens most often during cornering.

Like I said, if you want to use spacers then go for it. I just can't bring myself to get on a public forum and advocate the use of something I know is a bad idea and can lead to potential injury or death - especially when there is (imo) an alternative method that will accomplish the task without upsetting suspension geometry or shifting the weight of the vehicle onto the weak point - the studs.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

so you have 255/45,s on your monte? I ask because im running 245/45,s and want more meat and want to make sure they fit before I buy them.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space likes spacers