Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider tires on factory wheels cause inner tread wear?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wider tires on factory wheels cause inner tread wear?

I replaced the 225/60r16s on my car with 235/55r16s on the factory wheels. Noticed early tread wear in the centers of all 4 tires despite always monitoring tire pressure. Can putting wider tires on factory wheels cause quicker inner treadwear? Or are BF Goodrich traction TAs junk tires? I've put non-factory tire sizes on other cars in the past but don't remember having this problem. Thanx 4 ur input.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vincenti View Post
I replaced the 225/60r16s on my car with 235/55r16s on the factory wheels. Noticed early tread wear in the centers of all 4 tires despite always monitoring tire pressure. Can putting wider tires on factory wheels cause quicker inner treadwear? Or are BF Goodrich traction TAs junk tires? I've put non-factory tire sizes on other cars in the past but don't remember having this problem. Thanx 4 ur input.
That kind of tread wear is due to over inflation... (35psi is the norm depending on the kind and manufacturer and or recommended PSI.)

What is the tire pressure you currently have them set at?

Provided ... all the front end suspension parts aren't worn and out of alignment.
Tire wear should be across the whole tread patch of the tires...
Over inflation causes the issue you described.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 11-16-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member

Hey Stump. I kept an eye on the tire pressure. Even deflated a few pounds when I first noticed the problem. Even at 28psi they continue to wear. The suspension is on point as well as the allignment. When somebody told me running to wide a tire on a factory wheel it didn't make sense. Especially when you consider all the trucks that run 33s on factory wheels and I never hear them complain about early inner tread wear. Guess I'll try a different brand of tire

Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM

5 Year Member

Hey Stump. I kept an eye on the tire pressure. Even deflated a few pounds when I first noticed the problem. Even at 28psi they continue to wear. The suspension is on point as well as the allignment. When somebody told me running to wide a tire on a factory wheel it didn't make sense. Especially when you consider all the trucks that run 33s on factory wheels and I never hear them complain about early inner tread wear. Guess I'll try a different brand of tire
Under inflation generally results in outer tire wear..
I dont know what kind or brand of tire your running... or What are you using to gauge the tire wear?
I would first check into that brand of tire and see what the "recommended" tire pressure should be. Before you change brands and or sizes.

Maybe those tires only require 32 PSI?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member

I reduced the PSI in an attempt to counter the wearing in the center. I realize severely under inflated tires build heat & are prone to other bad stuff, so it's a fine line. The wear is visually apparent. I check the PSI with 2 different gauges. They always give identical readings. I maintain PSI levels according to what the vehicle manufacturer recommends, no the tire manufacturer. The sticker on the Monte calls for 32PSI. I run BF Goodrich Traction T/As. This will be my final set

Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 PM

5 Year Member

I reduced the PSI in an attempt to counter the wearing in the center. I realize severely under inflated tires build heat & are prone to other bad stuff, so it's a fine line. The wear is visually apparent. I check the PSI with 2 different gauges. They always give identical readings. I maintain PSI levels according to what the vehicle manufacturer recommends, no the tire manufacturer. The sticker on the Monte calls for 32PSI. I run BF Goodrich Traction T/As. This will be my final set
I do know that BF Goodrich tires tend to be a harder compound tire...
It may just be that they aren't the recommended type of tire for your car...

I'm guessing you got these in a prvt sale VS a tire store? (Just a Guess)

I too am a fan of the BF Goodrich Brand...
However after checking into an application for my Monte they don't make them for our vehicles.. As I wanted the white letter version.. But the only white letter versions you can get now are for Trucks only..

So I bought some Michelin advantage tires...
There 90,000 mile tires. Yes they cost quite a bit..However they are totally worth it.. as they are also all season tires... Since I live in Michigan it was the best decision I could make to get the most bang for my bucks.
This will probably be the last set of titres I will ever have to buy for it..since its no longer a daily driver.. I will be using it for car club meets, car shows and cruises from now on...
It will always be stored during the Winter Months from now on. Finally... lol

Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member

I got the tires from NTB. It's funny you mention raised white letters. The only people that still make them in 225/60 r16 is Cooper Cobra.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member

The problem is the tires are the wrong load. They're rated at 96. I need 98.