Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tie Rod Removal

Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tie Rod Removal

Been having all kinds of suspension issues-most recently, can't get anyone to do an alignment because the tie rods are too loose. Figured that would be an easy job, especially considering some of the other jobs I've taken on, but I've run into some problems:

I can't get the outer tie rod off. Whenever I try to turn it to unscrew it, the whole tie rod just rotates with it-I can't find anywhere on the inner tie rod to attach a wrench to keep it from spinning.

So I tried to skip removing it entirely, since I'm replacing the inner AND outer anyway-but the tool (which I borrowed from Autozone) is too small to fit over the inner joint. The diameter seems to be fine, but it's not deep enough. There were three different ends for the tool, tried all three, none of them fit.

I assumed this would be an hour job, worked on it for 4 hours last night and today I'm tired and cranky and tempted to put it back together and drive to the mechanic, but as a matter of pride (and cost) I'd like to try to fix it myself. Am I missing something obvious? Wish I had pics but I'm at work right now.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First get a propane torch.
Use the torch to melt the nylon keeper in the nut holding the tie rod to the spindle. The nylon melts out and you can take the nut out with minimum effort (may need vice grips to hold the stem).
Next use a pickle fork or a ball joint separator to pop the joint out of the spindle.

After that, heat the torque nut and housing of the outer tied rod. After getting it good and hot, let it sit until it's cool to touch and see if you can spin it off.

Hope that helps. This is what i did with my monte's outer tie rods and a few others.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Figured I'd post an update:

After trying some of what you suggested, I got fed up (it is REALLY cold here and I need my Monte to be driveable) and so I took it to the mechanic, who said he'd put them on for $50.

He called me back later, and let me know that actually, the tie rods aren't the problem, it's the steering rack-a $500 fix. This just after a replaced shocks and struts all around (did the work on that myself). I just can't win with this car.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thats a big job indeed, hope it gets on the road fast