Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Are Thinking about New Tires/Rim's ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM

The article by tire rack is excellent and makes sense, especially when you have experienced oversteer in a monte firsthand. The only problem I see with the article is that it in our cars we generally dont have to worry about oversteer unless were traveling at high speeds going into corners in really wet conditions.
Believe me, its not fun loosing the back end on a FWD car, theres nothing you can do to regain control but push the gas pedal down and theres no garuntee that will work either. As long as you stay within speed limits and remain aware of your surroundings as you drive it doesnt really matter which tire is where. Under normal driving conditions you have nothing to worry about.

Besides the government regulates the speed limits and sets them with safety in mind. They generally (at least on Long Island) set the speed limits for corners to be 15-20mph less than what you can actually do in wet conditions. Once again, stay withing speed limits on corners and sharper turns and you will never encounter a problem.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree, assuming you are not driving like a crazy person (which I would hope no one is in the rain, or snow), then its better to have the extra tread in the front on the drive wheels/ wheels that steer the vehicle. But if your pushing it hard, then you better put the tread in the rear.

Personally, I may drive like a mad man most of the time, but if the weather is bad, I am very cautious, and drive WAY slower.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks `Michael & Gib's for your post/opinions &
experience.
I have always put the better tires on the front on
FWD, but I did research, plus the Tire Rack article,
and my girlfriend never slows down (when driving: ).
We really get heavy tropical rains, so the bum's &
I just put the new ones on her rear : )
The front ones are in good shape with only about
5 K on them. I will go with the expert's advise
on her ride.

Look 4ward to see what other member's post about
the subject.

I think TireRack has some good links to read and
learn for people like me, and hopefully a few
Monte Carlo Family Member's.
Wish EveryOne reading this a Safe Journey
and Happy Day.
4-Sure

Old 01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
CMC
10 Year Member

If we're going to talk driving tips then I suggest "when in doubt, both out."

Basically, if you aren't sure if you should give it the gas or give it the brake, give it neither. On average, if you haven't done anything too stupid, the car will be easier to regain control of if you don't give it any brake or throttle input when you don't know what to do to regain control.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM

sorry for the late response. YEah she is one hell of a girlfriend. But you know i have to give her credit. I really wanted an ss but she got me an ls. Do im gonna rim it up and start looking into a motor swap. or finding some kinda way to sup up my 3.4