Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Detroit Axle Wheel Bearing?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Detroit Axle Wheel Bearing?

Opinions on the Detroit Axle Wheel/Bearing. The rears specifically. I've already did front ones, some time ago but the rear is howling and I've got the whole traction control and abs lights going nuts again.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03.SS.montecarlo
Opinions on the Detroit Axle Wheel/Bearing. The rears specifically. I've already did front ones, some time ago but the rear is howling and I've got the whole traction control and abs lights going nuts again.
You mean the hubs? Everyone recommends Timkin as the only quality hub on the market. I have never used anything else but Timkin is the only one I'v seen with a majority of good reviews.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM

I don't really think it's necessary to pay that much for a china bearing. I do believe timken moved all their operations overseas.

I understand that that's the popular brand for our particular car. I just don't have that kinda money.

Now, little update to my particular situation.

While the wife was on lunch break the car was parked long enough for me to jack it up. I felt ZERO play in any bearing. I know that doesn't mean much but for all the howling I'm hearing and feeling it doesn't make much sense. I also noticed something else. The inside of both rear tires are wearing at an angle. Strange since it's had a four wheel alignment not that long ago. I think my struts are hitting them. It's awful close. They do have 112k miles on them. The wear is significantly noticeable when standing back and looking the inside edge ain't even touching the ground.

I think the only way to know for sure about my bearings is just take them off and see.

Does anyone else know of another reason the traction control and abs to act up at the same time?

I know what I've said about the timken bearings is gonna stir people up, but really not trying to start a bearing war. Just wondered if anyone has used the Detroit Axle one yet.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:05 PM
1 Year Member

The Harness that plugs into the bearing also goes bad and could be causing traction And ABS issues. Thats a cheap part to replace.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:16 PM

Oh. Yeah. Jeeze that's embarrassing, I've forgotten check the actual wire for high resistance. The sensor could be ok but no the wire. I'll check that too.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
1 Year Member

Oh. Yeah. Jeeze that's embarrassing, I've forgotten check the actual wire for high resistance. The sensor could be ok but no the wire. I'll check that too.
heres the problem... the wires could check good. Its just the plug that gets an iffy conection. Only way to know for sure is to replace the harness for the affected hub.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Bearing play does not tell you the health of the ABS wheel speed sensor in the hub assembly. Checking the resistance is probably your best bet.
As for the wheels, sounds like you have a worn out suspension part somewhere OR who ever did the 4 wheel alignment messed something up.

As for Timken, I don't believe that all their operations have been moved to China (but I can't say what has or has not gone to China).
So far, I've had great luck with Timken bearings and hope that as long as Timken is still putting their name on it that it's still a high quality product.
RockAuto.com is a great place to get Timken bearings (normally I can get them shipped to my door for $100, cheaper then any local shop).

Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Default Did you ever have any luck figuring out the problem? I'm having the exact same issues

Any luck at all figuring out the exact issues? I'm experiencing the same exact thing with my 06 LTZ
I don't really think it's necessary to pay that much for a china bearing. I do believe timken moved all their operations overseas.

I understand that that's the popular brand for our particular car. I just don't have that kinda money.

Now, little update to my particular situation.

While the wife was on lunch break the car was parked long enough for me to jack it up. I felt ZERO play in any bearing. I know that doesn't mean much but for all the howling I'm hearing and feeling it doesn't make much sense. I also noticed something else. The inside of both rear tires are wearing at an angle. Strange since it's had a four wheel alignment not that long ago. I think my struts are hitting them. It's awful close. They do have 112k miles on them. The wear is significantly noticeable when standing back and looking the inside edge ain't even touching the ground.

I think the only way to know for sure about my bearings is just take them off and see.

Does anyone else know of another reason the traction control and abs to act up at the same time?

I know what I've said about the timken bearings is gonna stir people up, but really not trying to start a bearing war. Just wondered if anyone has used the Detroit Axle one yet.