Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Brakes not Disengaging properly

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Brakes not Disengaging properly

This is a new one for me.

symptoms
After leaving park, I begin driving and it feels like the brakes are applying pressure. It's the same sound as during winter when I'm trying to stop and the car starts sliding.

Then I get the christmas tree of lights abs trac off service trac system.

What has been done prior
complete hub assembly's in the front (within 9 months ago)
full brakes & rotors all around (within 4 months ago)
rear pass chamber kit & 4 wheel alignment (within 4 months ago)

Variables
With all the rain around here I have not washed my car for at least a month. (Car is Supa Dirty)

When my car was aligned they where able to get everything within acceptable "specs" so the car is supposed to be "tracking right" but the car going straight the wheel is cocked to the right every so slightly. They also recommended on my next alignment to get chamber kits for both front wheels.

Any thoughts on this? I'm hoping my sensors are dirty

Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wonder if one or more of your brake calipers cylinders are not releasing properly and causing the pads to hang against the rotors, Does this effect go away once you have went 50 ft or so?

When you have an alignment done and if the steering wheel is off center, tell them you need the steering wheel centered. They can adjust it so the wheel is properly centered. kind of a common occurance

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 06-09-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What you are defining sounds like it's the ABS system activating. It can activate for a list of reasons, common one is a bad ABS sensor reading (and yes, the hub/abs assembly can be bad and not throw codes or lights). Second issue could be a caliper having problems with properly moving and doing it's job (if it's not applying pressure in sync with the other calipers, this could result in the wheel speed sensor seeing a discrepancy between the 4 wheels.

Since the ABS sensor is in a closed unit on these cars, there is nothing to clean. But, you can inspect the following:
- Look at the wiring, see if any of the ABS sensor connectors or wires have a problem.
- Get the car in the air and have one person spin the wheels (one at a time) and another apply the brake. While the wheel spins, listen for noises. When the brake is applied, the wheel should come to a dead stop. While the brake is applied, try to spin the wheel.
- Check the brake pads for uneven wearing (such as, is there a wheel were one pad of the two is significantly worn OR the has developed an angle in the wear pattern). This would be a sign of a problem in that brake (could be bad caliper pins or a problem in the caliper itself.

Outside of that, get a hold of a scan tool that can data log the ABS speed sensors and let you review it frame by frame to find one out of sync.

Also, if you did not use Timken hubs, I highly recommend them. If you went with the cheapest hub, that may be the problem all together (it's a commonly known issue that the cheap hub assemblies don't last, only about 1.5 years on average).