RWD Tech Guides '70-'88 Guides/How-To information for RWD Montes 1970-1988

Mod Guide: Removing the computer from your 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 11:48 AM
Default Bog

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
One of the most frequently asked questions deals with the stock computer system on the Monte Carlo SS/Sc. The computer system is often removed, and many like to know how this is done.

Disclaimer: Please note, performing this operation will render your car emissions illegal, and will not be able to pass visual emissions inspection, and most likely, tailpipe emissions inspection as well. This write up also assumes you are capable of installing a carburetor and distributor, timing, and tuning the motor. Also, the owner, administration, staff, membership nor anyone else affiliated with www.montecarloss.com assume no legal liability implied or otherwise for the content in this guide. Use at your own risk! Furthermore, there is no affiliation with the products and companies mentioned in the links below. There are other products available, but those were simply the most convenient links to site at the time of composition

Many Monte Carlo owners have issues when they change the carburetor or the distributor. The problem is that both of these items are computer controlled, removing one of them for a non computer controlled unit will make the car run very poorly. The computer controlled Quadra-Jet has both a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and a Mixture Control Solenoid (MCS). These are directly linked to the computer, as in input and output, respectively. The TPS just tells the computer how much throttle is applied, and the MCS either richens or leans out the mixture, based on the input of the O2 sensor, among other components. In the event that the computer controlled Distributor is removed for a traditional vacuum advance counterpart, but the Quad is not, you will run into a serious issue: The computer will set the MCS to full rich, so gas mileage and drivability will suffer. Should you replace the Quad with a non CC replacement, you will have poor drivability, as the computer is no longer getting input from the TPS sensor, and the distributor will not advance timing.

To remedy these issues, both a non CC carburetor and a traditional vacuum advance distributor need to be used. If you are to use the stock intake manifold, you must get a spread bore carburetor, or an adapter. This would be an excellent point to upgrade your intake manifold, and you can get a dual spread bore/square bore design intake manifold, and run whatever carburetor you want.

The computer is located in the passenger side kick panel. You will need to remove the metal floor “Body by Fisher” panel on that side, and then remove the kick panel. Removing the computer should be self explanatory, get it out of the kick panel, and disconnect it from the wiring harness. There are two halves of the wiring harness, and you will need to remove the computer/engine harness. You will need to remove the passenger side wheel well to get to the hole in the firewall where the harness goes through. There is a bolt and bracket holding the grommet in that encases the harness, remove this, and pull grommet/harness through. Now trace this back to the motor, and disconnect anything it connects to. All the items it does connect to may be removed (but use common sense, the transmission can’t be removed). This harness is not at all connected to the harness that runs the gauges and A/C, etc., so all other functions will be fine, and it will remove easily. Now just reinstall everything you took out, making sure to replace the grommet, though no wires will br going through it, so water does not find its way into the vehicle.

At this point, everything should be installed and running, (assuming you have the correct throttle brackets and etc.). You should be able to time the motor, have her running, but do not drive it, as there are two more things that need to be addressed. You need to adapt your TV cable to your non CC carburetor. Assuming you have a Holley or Edelbrock, you can use this product to attach your TV cable (for your 200-4R, if you have an 85+) up to your new carburetor. This is imperative for the life your transmission, so make sure it is done.
B&M TV Cable Adapters
TCI TV Cable Adapters
Holley TV cable Stud
Holley TV/Throttle Bracket

Finally, you need a lockup kit, to lockup your torque converter at highway speed. This saves gas and helps the transmission run cooler. Note- often people just run a toggle switch (like keeping the part of the harness that goes to the trans and having pins A and F od the ALDL connector on either side of the switch), but I recommend a lockup kit, because the toggle switch is easy to foget about disengaging after a long trip, which will result in trans damage.

B&M Lockup kit
TCI Lockup Kit
Painless Lockup Kit -Note, the Painless Harness is for a 700-R4, it will work, but you are unable to use the pan gasket, and the TCC solenoid
Superior Lockup Kit -You are looking for "The High gear lock-up package #K013 by Superior". This is a very simple kit, and works great, but you will need to use the plug off the harness that goes to the transmission, as it does not come with one.

Original thread from MCSS.com
Comp removal
I unplugged the ccc but did not unplugged the connector with the a and f pin for lock up. I'm running an Edelbrock 650 and MSD street fire HEI. I've been trouble shooting a terrible bog. I unplugged that connector (ALDL) yesterday, and either coincidence, or the bog went away. My questions are:

What would have been causing a bog if I'm running a non CCC controlled carb and dizzy?

I have my lock up toggle switch wired to the black connector side of the "ALDL" connector. Is that the proper side to maintain my lock up switch? Or do I need to run it on the white side of the connector? Or does it not matter?

Old 10-02-2022, 10:21 AM

This post is 8 years old, probably should start a new thread for best results.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
This post is 8 years old, probably should start a new thread for best results.
In my opinion, I think we need one of them sticky posts at the top of every section that encourages users to note the date of a thread created and also encourage the making of new topics when necessary. People are so used to getting their heads bitten off (and I understand the reasoning) for "re-asking" or not adding on to an old topic, on other forums. They dont realize we do things a little different here and how greatly beneficial it is.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:59 PM

Great idea, hopefully the moderator's can get this done. I obviously don't want to see that I'm coming off rude, just trying to help the last poster.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
In my opinion, I think we need one of them sticky posts at the top of every section that encourages users to note the date of a thread created and also encourage the making of new topics when necessary. People are so used to getting their heads bitten off (and I understand the reasoning) for "re-asking" or not adding on to an old topic, on other forums. They dont realize we do things a little different here and how greatly beneficial it is.
Great idea, hopefully the moderator's can get this done. I obviously don't want to see that I'm coming off rude, just trying to help the last poster.
This issue has been brought up with Internet Brands (who owns MCF and many other forums). They are working on a solution that would still allow posting to an old thread but also notifying the person that it is in fact an old thread.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:37 PM

I obviously don't want to see that I'm coming off rude,
No, not at all. Ive been waiting for one of the older topics to be brought back so I could mention this.