Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

removing computer from 1986 monte carlo ss

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Default removing computer from 1986 monte carlo ss

I have a 1986 ss. I rebuilt the motor completely in 1997 since then the car hasn't been driven much about 20,000 miles. I lived in ohio and was pretty much forced by emmisions laws to build it back stock except for boring out of the cylinders .030 over. I now live in North Carolina and do not have emmissions laws to follow. I want to remove the computer controlled componets from my car. I do not race my car i rarely go over the speed limit. But even being rebuilt the 305 now about 310 is kind of a dog. I have also installed a 2 1/2 inch dual exaust system with a "x" crossover. It would be nice to hear my enginewith headers and without those two cats. I had in mind installing a little hotter cam & lifters, new intake, new carb, headers, and a decent ignition module. The couple questions I have are am I going to need to replace the distrubuter as well and possibly install one with a vacuum advance? I also want to replace my transmission as well. I have a 3: 73 rear end. My tranny now has over drive. I'm not really concerned with having the overdrive but it is nice going 70 mph and not turning 3500-4000 rpm. And can anybody suggest some cood componemt setups that would get me what I am looking for. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not going to understand if you start telling me intake and exhaust numbers or lift and duration numbers.But also I am not a dumbass when it comes to wrenching on my ride either. Any feed back would be awsome... Thanks

Oh by the way I'm a new member as well

Thanks

Mike

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Default RE: removing computer from 1986 monte carlo ss

[align=center]Hi Mike, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Be patience, and I'm sure that our member's will answer your questions.[/align][align=center]I'm a dumbass, so I'm typing really slow so I can keep up with what I type : )[/align][align=center]Sounds like you have the knowledge to turn your 86 SS into a lot faster[/align][align=center]ride. I'm not sure about the computer removal, but I'm sure that it [/align][align=center]can be done.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Look forward to your future posts, and pictures are a plus.[/align][align=center]We love look'in @ Monte Carlo's : )[/align][align=center]Good Luck to you.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]While you wait for an answer, check out the below link[/align][align=center]and search the MCF for other 85-88 owners.[/align][align=center]If you find one that you like, Post a message or email that member.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]https://montecarloforum.com/m_34860/mpage_3/key_/tm.htm[/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 04:26 PM

hey mike welcome to the site !!!!!
about your ride you will have to get a vacuum advance dis. you can get them fro accel or many diffrent company ready to go
you will also need a not computer controled carb and older rebuilt q-jet or even a 650 cfm edelbrock or holley your choice
and the trans will have to be fixed up too you will have to get a lock up kit or go with and older trans without the lock up feature
i went with a th350 in mine and 3.73:1 in the diff and i run 3200rmp at 65mph not too bad if you ask me
and headers you can get from headman and other places as well and take off the cats as for cams you can now pretty much put any thing you want now that the ecu is gone as for a intake i would go with a edelbrock rpm intake i beleave that there is 3 diffrent types
and ishort i think that is the basic of it if you have any other Q's just pm me and i will anser a.s.a.p. man or post here i am sure some body will help you

Old 11-12-2007, 03:31 PM

after further deliberation I've decided to just swap my entire engine and tranny with a 350 400 hp crate motor from year one and a new 200r4 rated for over 400 hp from opg. I will be selling off my rebuilt 305 and 200r4. I have placed an add in the classified section in these forums describing the details. Any body know where I can get a nice dash for my 86 SS???

Old 11-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: websytemike

after further deliberation I've decided to just swap my entire engine and tranny with a 350 400 hp crate motor from year one and a new 200r4 rated for over 400 hp from opg. I will be selling off my rebuilt 305 and 200r4. I have placed an add in the classified section in these forums describing the details. Any body know where I can get a nice dash for my 86 SS???
http://www.mikesmontes.com/partList....1986&cat=5

Dash Cover - Black

Dash Pad