Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Winter Project: Rust Removal :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

UPDATE!

Got all of the rust sanded off of the intake/drivers side area. Went ahead and primered all of the area

Por15 supply should be here next week. Underside will be interesting.. Probably going to pick up quite a few more jack stands just so I have plenty to keep the car up for a while. Definitely won't have the underside done overnight. May even hold off for christmas break just so I know I can go without the car for a few weeks.

After just a little sanding

Sanded all rust away, thankfully it was almost entirely surface rust so I was able to eliminate it nearly all of it

Going to let that dry for a while and possibly sand and do another layer, then paint over the weekend and clear the week after. Should look good

Then I can move onto the passenger side

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM

3 Year Member

New decals

Purchased my POR15 supply last night from eastwood company. Also picked up a gallon of their marine clean and a gallon of prep & ready. Bought some red Por15 from summit racing as well

Got more than enough do to my car for only $150. Probably going to be the best cost/effectiveness mod I've ever done. Especially since I live in Iowa and get to experience iowa/minnesota/wisconsin winters

Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 PM

3 Year Member

Got my garage organized today! Also picked up some more jack stands

Got the battery pulled and all that mess thats on the passengers side. Couldn't believe the condition of my battery tray!

Also got a respirator for the process. Hope its good enough to save my lungs from the Por15. Going to brush everything on. The spray seems too risky in terms of my health

Made a little shelf set up in the front of my garage. (Toolbox and work bench are towards the back) Got everything for about $10 at Lowes. Seems to be coming in handy

Also had a chance to finish up polishing my engine mount. Got my SS overlay from Reflective Concepts put on too.

Started to clean up the inch of rock and debris that settled under my battery tray.

Can't wait for my supplies to be here! Ready to get a good layer of Por15 on everything and clean up the engine bay!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looking very awesome!!!

Laptop stand for the MCF while you work?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 AM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Looking very awesome!!!

Laptop stand for the MCF while you work?
Of course! But i cant reach my appartments wifi from my garage so i have to rely on my slow phone to host

I have 8 shop lights running off of my single oulet hope management doesnt mind my additional usuage i usually only have one or two on just to be safe lol. I sure get some stares if i have the door open while im working

Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I see you did get the SS overlay!! AWESOME MAN!

Also, if you are brushing the POR15, no need for a respriator, it's no more harmful then brushing any other paint on. But if you were spraying (especially with a compressor driven spray gun), I'd say use the respirator.

If you need a brush for more then one coat, wrap it tightly with a bag or plastic wrap (keeps the POR15 wet on the brush). DOn't bother cleaning, when you are all done, the brush is trash.

Also, when closing the lid on the can USE PLASTIC WRAP between the lid and the can. Also use gloves when applying. Take my word from this, you get it on your hands and it dries, you can scrub your hands RAW, it will NOT come off. Time is what will remove it from your skin.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I see you did get the SS overlay!! AWESOME MAN!

Also, if you are brushing the POR15, no need for a respriator, it's no more harmful then brushing any other paint on. But if you were spraying (especially with a compressor driven spray gun), I'd say use the respirator.

If you need a brush for more then one coat, wrap it tightly with a bag or plastic wrap (keeps the POR15 wet on the brush). DOn't bother cleaning, when you are all done, the brush is trash.

Also, when closing the lid on the can USE PLASTIC WRAP between the lid and the can. Also use gloves when applying. Take my word from this, you get it on your hands and it dries, you can scrub your hands RAW, it will NOT come off. Time is what will remove it from your skin.
Yes, thanks for sharing the info./proof/etc for that overlay! Looks great and Reflective Concepts got it to me for a great price and quick! Now if I can just get the cap modified to fit the F-body valve covers LOL

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll wear the respirator just in case? I'm only in a car and a half garage so it's a pretty small area, unless it really isn't bad with the brush on type.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 AM

3 Year Member

Some of my shipment arrived today

Have some more Por15 coming that should be here next week. Didn't think any of it would get here so soon! Eastwood ships super fast

Got the front lifted up. Pulled a lot of the suspension components off to replace my axles. Also have a surprise coming for my new set-up May hold off pics til I'm all done

Polished mount put on

Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great progress man! Really jealous of your progress I'd really like to de-rust my monte.. but it almost seems hopeless. Keep it up!

I like the decals too!

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Of course! But i cant reach my appartments wifi from my garage so i have to rely on my slow phone to host

I have 8 shop lights running off of my single oulet hope management doesnt mind my additional usuage i usually only have one or two on just to be safe lol. I sure get some stares if i have the door open while im working
We seriously need to meet up I gladly come by and lend a hand sometime.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:06 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Great progress man! Really jealous of your progress I'd really like to de-rust my monte.. but it almost seems hopeless. Keep it up!

I like the decals too!

We seriously need to meet up I gladly come by and lend a hand sometime.
Thanks! I'm living at South Duff this school year. We'll have to meet up some time

Quick Reply: Winter Project: Rust Removal :D