Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Silver Decals NEVER AGAIN....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My graphics are almost original to the car and they stayed in great condition. I just replaced my hood graphics last fall because there was a water spot incident at work and etched spots in the vinyl. The car has been garaged or covered most of it's life.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Or you could just paint the vinyls silver again. Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chevrolet
Probably the sun is damaging them. The sides dont get as much thats why theyre fine. Do you have a car cover or garage?
i believe the sun is damaging them, but the said laminate was supposed to protect them and i do park in the garage but when I'm at work for my 8-9hour shifts it sits in the parking lot. I really should just get a cover.

Originally Posted by Montelicious
Yup. Get them painted on. I had similar thing happen to my silver windshield banner, hence why it is gone now.
Yeah I'm thinking about just having them painted on. Ive heard the metallics in the silver get twice as hot than regular vinyls.

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
My vinyl is not perfect, but its definitely not that bad! The vinyl on the BudChev is 6 or 7 years old now. It is regularly parked under a flowering crab apple tree, so it gets lots of crap on it. I used to have to park it under a walnut tree - that was hard to protect against. I do have a really good car cover, but I never use it anymore. I don't have any silver on mine, but the hood has a separate layer of metallic gold which is actually holding up better than the other colors. I wash my car a lot - sometimes 3-4 times a week. Maybe that helps? I use detailer instead of wax

i usually wash my car twice a week if i can. and i use some Carabana (not sure how its spelt) wax, which is also supposed to protect it.

I don't know why you are having such bad luck! I know when I got the car done I told them to spare no expense and use the very best stuff possible. I still recommend vinyl as a cheap way to make ordinary extraordinary, but obviously not all would agree.
Yeah i spent a lot to make sure this time they would be perfect and wouldn't be ruined down the road. I will always go paint down the road.

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
I would do something about it. The bad thing is a repaint would cost as much as another used Monte. So if your not to attached to your Monte, bail on it, especially if your having glitchy issues other than the vinyl. I never trusted vinyl, it's a quick eye wash for a few years then it's all sketchy. Cracks, damages the paint with sun fading, which shows if you remove the vinyl. Mine are painted on, always a fair amount more coin, but 6 years later and they are still like new. Wax and shine...
i know, repainting can be costly. It just sucks because its hard to find another Supercharged SS in my area. Im really in a bad position.

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree with zippy. If this is a keeper/collector car to you, I would pursue paint work. If not, then don't spend monster time and money. Maybe a cleaner will help wash away the marks or perhaps you can do something to hide them.

No matter what you chose to do, this entire mess sucks!
yeah its a HUGE mess haha, I'm just in a bad position because I'm putting money into it in what wouldn't make it better than it would of been if it had never had decals in the first place idk if that sounded the way i was trying haha. but I'm going to meet with some new guy and hopefully he has some ideas.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
So are the Stripes on the hood Roof and the Trunk or just the hood? A lot of the Stripes can be remove with a heat gun hair dryer for instance. You maybe able to do a single stripe panel something like the Camaros have, which would cover it up. The sun is the killer for the decals. I have seen this happen a lot over the years. Some decals are better than others. I try to keep mine covered in a garage, or a car cover when I am out side with it. I also have some in my windows and I cover them with a heavy tint film, when I want to display them I can just slide it off and save it them put it back on again. Sorry this happened keep posting on your repairs.
Its only just started on the hood of the car. the roof is just having the laminate peel up. I really think its this Florida Heat . but i was really hoping the laminate they said would protect it, would actually do its job.

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
I am in Florida for a time doing work and I can see that the sun here can take a toll on the paint and decals ( lots of sun and heat today).
ITS HOT man haha, I'm sure thats the reason for it burning the decals i just have to figure out what i can do.

Originally Posted by Barovelli
I've watched as company fleet vehicles get their brands changed over the years (from TCI to AT$T to Comcast). Installers used a rubber wheel that looked like a gum eraser to remove the old decals. Safer than heat.

Just a 2 cents.

Hmm thats good i know, ill keep that in mind!

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
My graphics are almost original to the car and they stayed in great condition. I just replaced my hood graphics last fall because there was a water spot incident at work and etched spots in the vinyl. The car has been garaged or covered most of it's life.
LUCKY. ugh i wish mine were fine. its too pricey to keep having them changed out every 2 years... paint might be in my future if i decide to keep this car.

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Or you could just paint the vinyls silver again. Just a thought.

paint the vinyls silver? what do you mean?

Thanks for all the replies ! i will keep you all updated. Meeting with two places tomorrow!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Not sure if this would help or hurt, but might a silver sharpie marker hide the staining?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

That looks more like debris accumulation to me. Autoglym makes a product called SRP that might take that crud off. Use sparingly with light pressure. Make sure you tape off the surrounding painted areas.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Thanks to this thread, I will NOT be getting stripes on my car ^_________^; Thank you sir ! And sorry to hear about your situation

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member

My graphics are also painted on. I know I would not be as lucky as Amy was whith hers.

I saw her new hood graphics at the monte nats and befitting to the name of her car they are Awesome

Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte

i usually wash my car twice a week if i can. and i use some Carabana (not sure how its spelt) wax, which is also supposed to protect it.

I think you are referring to Carnauba wax. I don't know for sure, but when I google it, I was able to find multiple sources saying not to use Carnauba wax on vinyl and vinyl wraps. Some sources said it is the only safe thing. I use Lucas SpeedWax, which is a detailer. Nothing on the bottle says its for vinyl now, but I remember the old label (before they called it SpeedWax it was just called Lucas detailer) specifically saying it was actually good for vinyl decals, which is why I started using it and always have. My theory is that the wax doesn't really do the damage, but the "elbow grease" to remove the wax (especially at the edges) may result in stripping the vinyl a bit. Detailer is not really applied like that.

But I can understand that there could be no selling you on vinyl now...

Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Not sure if this would help or hurt, but might a silver sharpie marker hide the staining?
idk if that will stay

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
That looks more like debris accumulation to me. Autoglym makes a product called SRP that might take that crud off. Use sparingly with light pressure. Make sure you tape off the surrounding painted areas.
I cant feel the actual marks, its as if theyre under the stripe/laminate

Originally Posted by Hiroska
Thanks to this thread, I will NOT be getting stripes on my car ^_________^; Thank you sir ! And sorry to hear about your situation
Glad i was able to help! paint is the only way!

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
My graphics are also painted on. I know I would not be as lucky as Amy was whith hers.

I saw her new hood graphics at the monte nats and befitting to the name of her car they are Awesome
shes lucky!

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I think you are referring to Carnauba wax. I don't know for sure, but when I google it, I was able to find multiple sources saying not to use Carnauba wax on vinyl and vinyl wraps. Some sources said it is the only safe thing. I use Lucas SpeedWax, which is a detailer. Nothing on the bottle says its for vinyl now, but I remember the old label (before they called it SpeedWax it was just called Lucas detailer) specifically saying it was actually good for vinyl decals, which is why I started using it and always have. My theory is that the wax doesn't really do the damage, but the "elbow grease" to remove the wax (especially at the edges) may result in stripping the vinyl a bit. Detailer is not really applied like that.

But I can understand that there could be no selling you on vinyl now...
very true. and yeah i dont think ill ever do vinyl again. its works and looks great but the maintenance is killer.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member

UPDATE!
I got around to trying to peel off this laminate! First part i did was driver side roof, it came off pretty willingly and the discoloration was on the laminate. Stripe underneath appears to be fine but just alot of stick residue remains. Now my next objective is to find a SAFE easy remedy to remove this residue without harming the vinyl itself. Anyone have any ideas? I heard WD40 would be a good one, but still unsure if thats the path i want to take.

Will post pics asap!

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Silver Decals NEVER AGAIN....