Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Silver Decals NEVER AGAIN....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Silver Decals NEVER AGAIN....

Hey guys, as some of you remember i had purchased my monte in 2008. It had decals on the car prior to my purchase (hood, roof, sides, ect). After awhile, the decals due to poor quality, got severely burnt and ended up cracking and fusing to the paint of my car (paint peeled up during the replacement process which was filled). After searching, i came across a decal company that does vinyl wraps and has seen this before. I had them replaced in 2012 and in addition they added a laminate film that was for sure suppose to protect them and a 1 year warranty. Now out of warranty of course, the laminate on the roof are peeling. I brought it to the place that replaced them and they said $50 to have it fixed, i decided to hold out. And NOW im getting brown spots all over the hood stripes. They look like coffee stains and they're getting worse as time goes on. I will post pictures. I will NEVER BUY A CAR WITH DECALS AGAIN. If i decide to have racing stripes they will be painted on. This has been a nightmare. I hope no one else has this problem. Any idea why this is happening? I use the proper wax on the stripes and everything.

Any comments ? Any suggestions? My options are: to just have the whole car repainted factory superior blue with silver stripes; try to peel the laminate off and see if the stripe underneath is fine (and go from there); just replace the hood stripes; trade it and look for another monte; ignore it and let it get worse;

Help!

Last edited by Mr.Monte; 07-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member

^^^Heres pics of the hood. Will get roof pics when possible.^^^

^^sides are fine^^

Old 06-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Probably the sun is damaging them. The sides dont get as much thats why theyre fine. Do you have a car cover or garage?

Old 06-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yup. Get them painted on. I had similar thing happen to my silver windshield banner, hence why it is gone now.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My vinyl is not perfect, but its definitely not that bad! The vinyl on the BudChev is 6 or 7 years old now. It is regularly parked under a flowering crab apple tree, so it gets lots of crap on it. I used to have to park it under a walnut tree - that was hard to protect against. I do have a really good car cover, but I never use it anymore. I don't have any silver on mine, but the hood has a separate layer of metallic gold which is actually holding up better than the other colors. I wash my car a lot - sometimes 3-4 times a week. Maybe that helps? I use detailer instead of wax

I don't know why you are having such bad luck! I know when I got the car done I told them to spare no expense and use the very best stuff possible. I still recommend vinyl as a cheap way to make ordinary extraordinary, but obviously not all would agree.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would do something about it. The bad thing is a repaint would cost as much as another used Monte. So if your not to attached to your Monte, bail on it, especially if your having glitchy issues other than the vinyl. I never trusted vinyl, it's a quick eye wash for a few years then it's all sketchy. Cracks, damages the paint with sun fading, which shows if you remove the vinyl. Mine are painted on, always a fair amount more coin, but 6 years later and they are still like new. Wax and shine...

Old 06-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I agree with zippy. If this is a keeper/collector car to you, I would pursue paint work. If not, then don't spend monster time and money. Maybe a cleaner will help wash away the marks or perhaps you can do something to hide them.

No matter what you chose to do, this entire mess sucks!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Monte

^^^Heres pics of the hood. Will get roof pics when possible.^^^

^^sides are fine^^
So are the Stripes on the hood Roof and the Trunk or just the hood? A lot of the Stripes can be remove with a heat gun hair dryer for instance. You maybe able to do a single stripe panel something like the Camaros have, which would cover it up. The sun is the killer for the decals. I have seen this happen a lot over the years. Some decals are better than others. I try to keep mine covered in a garage, or a car cover when I am out side with it. I also have some in my windows and I cover them with a heavy tint film, when I want to display them I can just slide it off and save it them put it back on again. Sorry this happened keep posting on your repairs.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
So are the Stripes on the hood Roof and the Trunk or just the hood? A lot of the Stripes can be remove with a heat gun hair dryer for instance. You maybe able to do a single stripe panel something like the Camaros have, which would cover it up. The sun is the killer for the decals. I have seen this happen a lot over the years. Some decals are better than others. I try to keep mine covered in a garage, or a car cover when I am out side with it. I also have some in my windows and I cover them with a heavy tint film, when I want to display them I can just slide it off and save it them put it back on again. Sorry this happened keep posting on your repairs.
I am in Florida for a time doing work and I can see that the sun here can take a toll on the paint and decals ( lots of sun and heat today).

Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
So are the Stripes on the hood Roof and the Trunk or just the hood? A lot of the Stripes can be remove with a heat gun hair dryer for instance. ...
I've watched as company fleet vehicles get their brands changed over the years (from TCI to AT$T to Comcast). Installers used a rubber wheel that looked like a gum eraser to remove the old decals. Safer than heat.

Just a 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Opinion Needed: Silver Decals NEVER AGAIN....