Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.
View Poll Results: What should I `do ?
Drive it until it `Ends & sell/trade/salvage ?
20.00%
Keep it forever & Mod it the way I want it to `be ?
80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Should I or shouldn't I?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM
1 Year Member
Default Should I or shouldn't I?

Here is my dilemma folks. For now, as long as the car is my DD, I don't plan on doing a whole lot of non-audio mods, as it's only going to get used and worn.

But, in the future (5 years or so), I have this idea that I want to garage the car and start rebuilding it. It's just a "run of the mill" Monte, but I want to eventually make it a one-of-a-kind Monte (maybe I'm just in way over my head here ). Basically what I want to do is turn it into a street-legal production-model lookalike of Dale Sr's racecar. Fresh paint (including the #3 on roof and doors), spoiler, red/white high sport kit, goodyear eagles with yellow lettering, the works. Supercharger, exhaust, fix up the engine and drivetrain any way I can. Dale Sr headrests, new steering wheel, new leather seats (or maybe racing seats, idk), custom pedals, the whole nine yards for interior as well. Maybe even take out the back seat. In short, take a few years and make it as close as possible to the actual thing.

First question - good idea, or tacky? Yeah, my car blah blah, but I value yalls opinions and any extra input
Second question - to anyone who currently owns any of the above mods, how much are they, ease of finding them, recommended brands, installation complexity? Basically can I get an idea of how difficult this restoration process would be.

Actively searching out some input here

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Well it would be easier to start with a 02 or a 04 dale sr car prob be cheaper in the end sence they have most of the parts you want, & good luck with the tires lol ull just have to buy good year eagles & paint rm

Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
1 Year Member

Oh I know it would be easier to start with a new monte, but I just couldn't let my current one go lol. I'm sure you can understand the attachment

Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Ohh im the same way with mine, but all of it can be done if the funds allow, you can always look on copart.com for a 02 sr monte & buy it for parts & part out the rest

Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 PM
1 Year Member

Possible, but by then those cars will be even harder to find. I am thinking I'll have to resort to finding individual parts or even custom making them. Crossing my fingers that there will be parts still available though..

Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Here is my dilemma folks. For now, as long as the car is my DD, I don't plan on doing a whole lot of non-audio mods, as it's only going to get used and worn.

But, in the future (5 years or so), I have this idea that I want to garage the car and start rebuilding it. It's just a "run of the mill" Monte, but I want to eventually make it a one-of-a-kind Monte (maybe I'm just in way over my head here ). Basically what I want to do is turn it into a street-legal production-model lookalike of Dale Sr's racecar. Fresh paint (including the #3 on roof and doors), spoiler, red/white high sport kit, goodyear eagles with yellow lettering, the works. Supercharger, exhaust, fix up the engine and drivetrain any way I can. Dale Sr headrests, new steering wheel, new leather seats (or maybe racing seats, idk), custom pedals, the whole nine yards for interior as well. Maybe even take out the back seat. In short, take a few years and make it as close as possible to the actual thing.

First question - good idea, or tacky? Yeah, my car blah blah, but I value yalls opinions and any extra input
Second question - to anyone who currently owns any of the above mods, how much are they, ease of finding them, recommended brands, installation complexity? Basically can I get an idea of how difficult this restoration process would be.

Actively searching out some input here
turbo monte started out being my daily driver and i loved the car i choose to make it what it is now and never sell the car. lets face it here there not being made anymore, they may make a monte carlo again but we all know it wont look like ours!

with that said i say keep it drive it and keep up with maintenance until you can retire it from being a dd and then start modding the way you want. now for cost on parts etc it all depends how far you wanna go on performance, are you going to do a basic top swap and call it a day or are you going to cam it run a gen v supercharger, and use a intercooler and make alot of hp? trans will need upgraded as well. i would go with racing seats, rear seat removal and a cage for the look your wanting. also are you planning any suspension mods?

i have ALOT of stuff done to my monte and rough guessing i have about $15,000 in upgrades alone if not more. thing is im making good hp (fully built turbo engine and trans) and not one part on the body of my car is stock lol

it has also took me 5yrs to get turbo monte to where she is now

good luck man i hope i will see you post a thread in the future of your monte's transformation

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

To me it all boils down to personal preference...

I did the mods that are currently on mine from day 1 when I ordered it from the factory...Paint, system, graphix ground effcts..etc....

Long before I found this site for Monte Carlo people....
So, Mine is pretty much what it is...I did show it for quite a few years....Then It quickly became my daily driver as I had no choice back then....

My original goal when I bought it was to drive it til the wheels fell off...
That was 14 yrs ago and 160,000 miles later....I still love this car! I cant possibly put it up against any of the newer ones...as its only a 5th gen...
But you get what I mean....If you have the ability, time, and finances...I would say...Go for it! IMO

Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
1 Year Member

Suspension is something I'm going to do while it's still a daily driver.

Not sure what in detail I'm going to do with the engine just yet. That's going to take the most time and money. Obviously can't make it like the race car lol, so I will see what kind of cash I have to work with at that time. Doing something drastic is not out of the question at all turbo monte is quite an inspiration.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Well it would be easier to start with a 02 or a 04 dale sr car prob be cheaper in the end sence they have most of the parts you want, & good luck with the tires lol ull just have to buy good year eagles & paint rm
X2 It would be cheaper to buy another one with that done..