Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Removing heavy overspray/fog?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Removing heavy overspray/fog?

Hey all, I did a little fix to my gf's hood where she had a crease and some bad paint chips and peel where it cracked the paint from a low speed deer strike. I got it all sanded and painted but there is a thick ridge of overspray around the repaired area where we fogged everything in. You can visibly see and feel the difference. I was told to claybar the area, and as it seems to make it smooth but it wasn't cutting the overspray near enough, I would have been there for days. I've proceeded to hit it with wet 2000 grit and am seeing better results. The overspray ridge is slowly working its way back down to the painted repaired area. This is the first real go at blending, and there are areas that are close to being done. Is this what you all recommend? Should I try 2500 instead? Obviously it will need a good buff to get the gloss back but so far I think its coming along...basically just trying to knock it down to the original clear coat that its sitting on top of right now.

Anybody with experience on this?

Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM

use a mild rubbing compound . with a buffer

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you didn't sand down any before spraying?

you should buff it out now just to see where you're at.

If you sand down to the original clearcoat you won't have any clear on the new paint, then you'll be dealing with paint issues down the road, pretty soon.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

You should of just cleared the whole hood, theres an actual blending clear shops use, but i nvr reccomend blending cuz itll show later on

Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Blend slowly

I agree with what they said above about "prior to doing the work" however, I believe that you already started to "blend" so, I think your at the point of no return. I'd just do what you are now but I'd stop as soon as your right above the original clear coat, then running compound and buff to get it the rest of the way. As stated above, you may have a paint issue in the future, but I'd deal with that then. If you do have issues down the road, I'd make sure that when typos redo anything, pick a cutoff point near a body line, or the best is an entire panel. For instance , if it's in the middle of a fender, just reshoot the entire fender, on the door, spray the entire door, etcetera .. That way there will be no need for a blend line. That's the way I've always done it. When it comes the the hood, or trunk, best way (little more work, but...) CID the area that needs repaired, then spray the entire hood, no need for a blend, nor blend line. I think it's a lot more work to try and blend it (for the overspray issues, trying to blends, then trying to match the rest of the hood) just as easy to spray the entire hood. Just my opinion, I may be wrong... Thanks.. Mjc..

Keep in ind ILove Painting and fixing dents, scratches etc on cars, so when I get the chance, sure, I paint as much as possible to make it look right. When you even just go to a body line, when light hits the body line it "changes the color" anyway, so it's real hard to see a blend line because of this effect. Thanks and good luck, take a few pics and lets check it out.. Mjclemm..