Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Heavy Metal at Oshkosh...

Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Default Heavy Metal at Oshkosh...

Ok, it's not Monte Carlo related, but it certainly is horsepower related - and like a Monte, it's a thing of beauty...

This is, in my opinion, the ONLY kind of Mustang we're allowed to worship - the North American P-51D Mustang...

Boasting a Rolls Royce/Packard Merlin V-12, thistwo-stage two-speed supercharged engine purrs like nothing you've heard, all the while producing some 1,690 horsepower...

Here's the same aircraft on takeoff a few minutes after the first image was shot...

One of the most-incredible events of the day was the tag-team performance of old and new...well, kinda new...the P-51D and F-15 flying formation.

There was lots of precision flying too...these fellas aren't more than 15-20 feet apart...

When it comes to brute horsepower - let's talk P-47D Thunderbolt. This aircraft carries an 18-cylinder R2800 Pratt & Whitney radial engine producing 2,500 horsepower and turning a 13' 6" diameter prop.

Not necessarily the most powerful - but still one of the prettiest - the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk...

If you have any interest in flying, Oshkosh is the place to be this week. There's 10,000 aircraft on the grounds as I type this, with more coming in everyday. They estimate anywhere from 40,000 to 60,000 people per day, over 7 days...pretty incredible stuff.

Jeff

Old 07-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Heavy Metal at Oshkosh...

thats cool love air shows

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nice aircraft.

Anyone ever seen the '55 Chevy with the (I think) Helicopter engine in it?

Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM

No, but they did have "car" there (if you can call it that) that had a P-51 engine in it...V-12 Packard...he removed the supercharger so it only produces 1350 hp.

J

Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM

O...M...G... took the S/C OFF? lol.... that engine is scary for sure!!!

Being in northeast Iowa I've seen tons of aircraft heading that way, doing all sorts of aero-batics? (SP?)

Some biplane... lots of older ones... and all flyin... too cool.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Sad news out of oshkosh airshow.
1 Killed in Wisconsin Airshow Crash
OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) -- Two single-engine war planes at an experimental airshow collided while landing Friday, killing one of the pilots and injuring the other, officials said. The Federal Aviation Administration said the collision with the two P-51 Mustangs happened at 3:17 p.m. after the planes finished a performance at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual AirVenture show. P-51 Mustangs are single-seat fighters that were used in World War II. FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board investigators were on the scene on Friday. NTSB spokesman Ted Lopatkiewicz said one pilot died and the other had minor injuries when the planes clipped wings on landing. He said an NTSB investigator on the scene scheduled a news briefing at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Wittman Regional Airport terminal. On Monday, a veteran pilot trying to break a speed record en route to Oshkosh was killed when his small, experimental plane crashed into an apartment building and playground in Switzerland. The pilot, identified as Hans Georg Schmid, a former Swissair pilot, had been trying to break a world record for a solo single-engine flight. He had planned to fly more than 4,970 miles with a C1-D class of plane, aiming to reach his destination in 30 hours. The annual convention is considered one of the world's largest gatherings of recreational aviators. It draws more than 600,000 people and 10,000 planes from around the world. The weeklong event ends Sunday.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AIRSHOW_CRASH?SITE=NVLAS&SECTION=HOME&TEMP LATE=DEFAULT

Mike.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 AM

Sorry double post.

Mike.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM

The pilot of the green-winged airplane, Gerry Beck, was a friend of mine. I knew him back from my air museum director days. Corey Oldegaard, the pilot of the blue-and-yellow Mustang, had some minor cuts and bruises, but walked away from the accident.

Jeff

Old 07-29-2007, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 03LS_Sleeper

The pilot of the green-winged airplane, Gerry Beck, was a friend of mine. I knew him back from my air museum director days. Corey Oldegaard, the pilot of the blue-and-yellow Mustang, had some minor cuts and bruises, but walked away from the accident.

Jeff
Oh man, I am sorry about the loss of a friend. It is a shame things like this have to happen, but I guess it reminds us all that flying (and just living)can be dangerous, and to live life to the fullest everyday.

Mike.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:45 PM

[align=center]Amen to the above post [X(]by`Mike, ~ Trapshooter ~ [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]My grandfather & I went up to the air show on the Spacecoast.[/align][align=center]Below is a link to the site.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]