Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

paint overspray removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Default paint overspray removal

I noticed that some of the paint on the right side of my car between the door and wheel is rough... like it has overspray on it from body work on the car. I waxed the car recently using a cleaner wax, but the roughness is still there. How do I safely get that off without damaging the paint?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Default RE: paint overspray removal

ya might try the clay bar deal on it. they seem to take off alot of things to include oxidation on cars.
i know about the ox. i just did mine yesterday took me 4 hours of doing it ,washing it , waxing it, buffing it, and repeating the waxing and then removed by hand .

and then after all of that i found a spot i missed today when the sun was hitting it just right[:@]

Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Get some rubbing compound and rub it out with a rag then wax it again. Simple, quick and cheap.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

i used a clay bar on mine when someone sprayed something with a spray bomb right beside my car, got it all off, and it was white on a black car

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM

I also vote for the clay bar, very likely to get the overspray off without removing any material off your paint job.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 PM

5 Year Member

Im telling you, just get some rubbing compound on a rag and rub it out. Use the claybar only if the overspray is really on there good, usually when it hits the paint while its still wet it may graba little. The claybar will remove more material than the compound and it may even scratch the surface a little. The compound wont. Just be sure to wax the surface afterward cause the compound will take all the old wax off.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: mrl390

Im telling you, just get some rubbing compound on a rag and rub it out. Use the claybar only if the overspray is really on there good, usually when it hits the paint while its still wet it may graba little. The claybar will remove more material than the compound and it may even scratch the surface a little. The compound wont. Just be sure to wax the surface afterward cause the compound will take all the old wax off.
Not trying to be a ***** here But.

Im not sure you have looked at what or how a clay bar works. They are made for jus tthis type of thing along with tree sapp etc... Just make sure you follow destructions and also kneed the caly as your useing it.

I would recomend spilting it in half if you get one of those with only one clay bar in the kit. i know mothers has two smaller ones but still plenty of clay to do your car several times.

I would use the first one and then the other one i would save for the next time. and use the one i used this time for the wheels .

Clay bars will take off all kinds of stuff off of your paint and WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT IF DONE RIGHT!! Make sure you use the lubercante in the bottle in the kit.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM

5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: mickey

Im telling you, just get some rubbing compound on a rag and rub it out. Use the claybar only if the overspray is really on there good, usually when it hits the paint while its still wet it may graba little. The claybar will remove more material than the compound and itMAY even scratch the surface a little. The compound wont. Just be sure to wax the surface afterward cause the compound will take all the old wax off.
Not trying to be a ***** here But.

Im not sure you have looked at what or how a clay bar works. They are made for jus tthis type of thing along with tree sapp etc... Just make sure you follow destructions and also kneed the caly as your useing it.

I would recomend spilting it in half if you get one of those with only one clay bar in the kit. i know mothers has two smaller ones but still plenty of clay to do your car several times.

I would use the first one and then the other one i would save for the next time. and use the one i used this time for the wheels .

Clay bars will take off all kinds of stuff off of your paint and WILL NOT HARM YOUR PAINT IF DONE RIGHT!! Make sure you use the lubercante in the bottle in the kit.
Not to be a ***** here either but read my post before you tell me Im wrong. I said it MAY, meaning it is possible. Not that IT WILL. I have seen it happen before even when following the instructions and doing it right. We had a neon in the shop that my boss was claybarring. He had two different bars of the same brand (Meguiars). He used them both the same and one scratched the car and the other didnt so I said it could happen. Its still overkill IMO if it works right or not. Plus the claybar is expensive, too expensive to buy it to just remove overspray once.

Ok maybe I was trying to be a little bit of a *****, but no harm intended.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:40 PM

It can, it all depends on what clay you use. The stuff you find at your local auto part store won't scratch the surface when used as instructed but there are stronger formulations of clay that are alot more agressive than those compounds and they can definitely mar the surface. I own my own detailing business and I never start off with compound, I always start out with the least agressive product and work my way up as needed. And it's always a good idea to follow up with a polish after you compound, and then wax after the polishing is done. That way, the polish will remove the micromarring from the compound and will leave the surface smooth as can be and ready for the LSP.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM

speaking of this 04 where did ya find the high temp stuff?
Or did you find somethign better then it for use with a buffer? Im still trying to get some swirls out of mine and also noticed this weekend that i have some oxidation on the hood and i want to get it off of there ASAP.

the clay bar took most of it off but it was rubbing real hard on it and almost dry in that area alone to ge tit off.

I didnt have anythign to cu tthe surface down so i could not try that just strickly wax.
Meg. Gold.

mrl390

I understand what yoru saying but at the same time i have learned tha tthe avrage person is not going to get a agressive product from a auto parts store in most cases whant it comes to this type of thing this is also way i made sure to say lube it up good and follow the destructions.

Wasent trying to say you dont know what your talking about just trying to keep it simpel for someone tha tmight not have acsess to the more agressive clays or even the more agressive waxes for cutting the surface.

think of it this way you cant even get a decent buffer for your car if you dont know what to look for in the right places.

Quick Reply: paint overspray removal