Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Questions on Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Questions on Brake Calipers

Hey all!

Taking the Monte out of storage again for the summer, and I'm alllll ready to get back to getting her real nice! I'm on campus right now, but I'm switching out my campus car for the Monte tomorrow. I currently have the G2 Red brake caliper paint kit waiting for me at home, and tomorrow is going to be the only nice weather day for quite a while (thanks Iowa). I'm going to try to tackle the project tomorrow afternoon.

I've done a fair amount of research and know that prep time is key. I won't be able to take the calipers off, as much as I would really like to. My questions begin here: how should I go about cleaning the calipers? They shouldn't be in too bad of shape.. will the stuff that comes in the G2 kit be enough or should I get other stuff?

Next, how many coats should I expect to have to put on? I know that time is of the essence (my next question touches on that more), so what are your suggestions?

Finally, and most importantly, what should my strategy be for lifting the car? I believe I'll only do the front two calipers, so can I jack up just the front of the car? I'll probably stop at the store and get some jack stands tomorrow on my way back. If my prior belief is correct, there is only a scissor jack in the trunk, right? Will I be able to use that to get the car high enough for the jack stands on both sides of the car to keep the front up? I'd prefer not to whip out more cash for a nice floor jack..

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. I love the community here, and I lurk VERY often. Perhaps my 39 posts don't support that statement, but I really appreciate you all. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Degreaser, wire brush, sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease will get the calipers clean. Prior to painting wipe them down with paint prep. 2 thin coats versus 1 thick coat with drying time between coats will give a nice finish. You can jack the car up with the scissor jack then lower onto jack stand. Since you've researched prepping I won't go into that. Just take your time and they will come out looking great.

On a side note I know a couple people that sprayed high heat clear over the paint and the calipers still look like they were freshly painted over a year later.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't recommend using the trunk jack for raising the car like that. It's more of an emergency type thing.

I took off all 4 wheels at once, and sprayed it all down, then I went to town with a drill and wire brush attachment. Gotta get all of that surface junk off. Then I sprayed everything down again, let it dry a little, then went to town with the brush on.

I did 2-3 coats per caliper, and still had a ton of paint leftover.

They say try not to drive the car for 24-48 hours, so I did it on a saturday morning and left it until Sunday night.

Name:  ReadyforCaliperPaint.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  paintedcaliper.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  69.9 KB

Old 04-18-2014, 07:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't recommend using the trunk jack for raising the car like that. It's more of an emergency type thing.

I took off all 4 wheels at once, and sprayed it all down, then I went to town with a drill and wire brush attachment. Gotta get all of that surface junk off. Then I sprayed everything down again, let it dry a little, then went to town with the brush on.

I did 2-3 coats per caliper, and still had a ton of paint leftover.

They say try not to drive the car for 24-48 hours, so I did it on a saturday morning and left it until Sunday night.

Nice Job Mike!
Wish I had large enough garage to do mine that way...
Unforunately, I have a 1 car garage... The Monte Barely fits in it...
Let alone be able to walk around it.
Thanks for the heads up! and Great Info!