Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Full LED lights and no Hyper Flash

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:12 PM
Default LED Headlights and Fog lights

Plug and play

Old 03-23-2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Thanks for the kind words Greg! Modding the flasher module by and far was the best idea. I found out someone else years ago was selling modded flashers. When I saw his description, I know how his mod was done, as it did not fully restore the proper blink rate, he only did half the mod (what I do is all the way, truly restores the blink rate).
I have sold a bunch of these, but mostly to Grand Am people.
With my 2004 blue Monte, I have yet to cut ANY of it's factory wires for any reason! I find a way to adapt or tie in that is as clean as I can possibly do. Even when I added an XM receiver (only to get my radio to see XM so I could then inject my own audio). I feel it is a bit of a hidden art form.
So what is the answer? The dealer fixed my turn signals but now they blink at twice the normal speed.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by GrayGhost1951
So what is the answer? The dealer fixed my turn signals but now they blink at twice the normal speed.
Some people solve that hyperflashing issue with load resisters. They fake out the load normally consumed by incandescent bulbs so the system in the flasher module does not hyperflash (to indicate you have a bulb out). I was not a fan of this, as in the old days you had to splice you factory wiring. Later companies got wise and made load resistors that are plug and play in line with the wiring and the bulb (but now you still have to buy one for each bulb, tuck the wiring AND some people still had problems).
I solve this by going directly to the source! I modify the flasher module. If you want to do it yourself, I do have the process documented here:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...signals-61550/

Or, I do sell pre-modded modules for $40 shipped.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...signals-62250/

Old 03-25-2022, 06:25 AM

Some people solve that hyperflashing issue with load resisters. They fake out the load normally consumed by incandescent bulbs so the system in the flasher module does not hyperflash (to indicate you have a bulb out). I was not a fan of this, as in the old days you had to splice you factory wiring. Later companies got wise and made load resistors that are plug and play in line with the wiring and the bulb (but now you still have to buy one for each bulb, tuck the wiring AND some people still had problems).
I solve this by going directly to the source! I modify the flasher module. If you want to do it yourself, I do have the process documented here:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...signals-61550/

Or, I do sell pre-modded modules for $40 shipped.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...signals-62250/
Well I don't have LEDs for turn signals, just most everything else. Can the dealer not source the OEM flasher that came with the car? Is that the problem? It's a 2005. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:21 PM

10 Year Member

Well I don't have LEDs for turn signals, just most everything else. Can the dealer not source the OEM flasher that came with the car? Is that the problem? It's a 2005. Thanks.
I am not sure you understand the situation or we have a mis-understanding. The dealer and local parts stores can and do sell replacement flasher modules. This thread was started to talk about using LED bulbs and no longer having the hyperflash problem. The OEM flasher module and to my knowledge, despite "claims" no after market module has been proven to correct hyper flashing with the use of LED turn signals. So if you want LED turn signals, you have to use load resister or mod a flasher module.

If you don't have any LED turn signals and you are experiencing hyper flashing (increased flash rate), that is a built in function of the flasher module where it detects a problem in the current draw that is typically a result of a bulb being out. If this is the case, I would advise checking all of your signal bulbs (and I think some of the ones in the rear have two filaments because they actually have two different circuits). It might be easiest to open a new thread and explain what is happening and what you have done and what you are aware of.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:55 AM

I am not sure you understand the situation or we have a mis-understanding. The dealer and local parts stores can and do sell replacement flasher modules. This thread was started to talk about using LED bulbs and no longer having the hyperflash problem. The OEM flasher module and to my knowledge, despite "claims" no after market module has been proven to correct hyper flashing with the use of LED turn signals. So if you want LED turn signals, you have to use load resister or mod a flasher module.

If you don't have any LED turn signals and you are experiencing hyper flashing (increased flash rate), that is a built in function of the flasher module where it detects a problem in the current draw that is typically a result of a bulb being out. If this is the case, I would advise checking all of your signal bulbs (and I think some of the ones in the rear have two filaments because they actually have two different circuits). It might be easiest to open a new thread and explain what is happening and what you have done and what you are aware of.
It was just a simple problem of the turn signals not working., While it was at the dealer I asked them to fix it. They told me they did. So when I tried them they blinked at light speed, not the normal speed. Maybe they used the wrong flasher. Not worth a new thread, unless others are having this problem. And FYI, I put low, high and fog light LEDs up front, and backup LEDs in the rear. No problems at all.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:48 AM

10 Year Member

It was just a simple problem of the turn signals not working., While it was at the dealer I asked them to fix it. They told me they did. So when I tried them they blinked at light speed, not the normal speed. Maybe they used the wrong flasher. Not worth a new thread, unless others are having this problem. And FYI, I put low, high and fog light LEDs up front, and backup LEDs in the rear. No problems at all.
Usually you don't get unexplained hyper flashing out of a failed flasher module (common issue is the signals stop working). I would double check all of your bulbs first. And if you decide to do the flasher module, I am NOT a fan of how it is mounted in the Monte (the dash piece can be a bit too easy to break). I would remove the dash panel, put in your replacement flasher (let the replacement "hang" and drive with the dash temporarily removed) to ensure that was the problem. If it is, swap the bad out out of your dash piece. But before I did that, check ALL of your bulbs. I think some of the bulbs in the back use dual filaments, so they might be "ok" and reality is a filament is broken resulting on one of their circuits failing. I hope that helps.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:06 PM

Thanks for your input. Will give that a try.