Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Couple of Problems with my MC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Default Couple of Problems with my MC

I have 2 problems with the exterior of my car. One is an oxidized headlight.

1) I recently hit a deer with my car and when they fixed it they put on a headlight that had been restored to look like new. This was good except for the fact that the headlight that wasnt replaced is oxidized. I tried buying some oxidation cleaner from an auto store but it did not do much to help. Any other suggestions outside of buying another headlight?

2) Back in September or so, two of my dogs thought it would be a great idea to take a bite out of my car's back bumper. They were only 4 or 5 months old at the time and they chewed on the bumper right where the indention is to put the license plate on. It has made about 20 or so "scrapes" on each side of the indention for the license plate. Any cheap way to fix this besides replacing it?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1 - I've never heard of that headlight problem as "oxidation". To my knowledge, plastic does not "oxidize". If you look at most headlights that are cloudy and/or yellow, the plastic is discoloring and/or pitting (pitting gives the plastic a rough texture that no normal cleaning resolves). That pitting gives the headlight a "cloudy" look. I know some people on forums swear they have "restored" headlights with kits in the auto parts stores. The people I have seen in person who have tried, well, they did not look "good as new". These kits are giving you the tools to "retexture" or get rid of a very FINE layer of the plastic on the headlight.
My recommendation, buy good/new replacements, and apply wax VERY often.

2 - If there are no punctures, you may get away with a little body filler and a re-paint of the current bumper. I had a gouge in my '84 Camaro bumper filled and it was repainted with the entire car YEARS ago. Never could see the gouge after that. Consult a local reputable body shop.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=The_Maniac;450099]1 - I've never heard of that headlight problem as "oxidation". To my knowledge, plastic does not "oxidize". If you look at most headlights that are cloudy and/or yellow, the plastic is discoloring and/or pitting (pitting gives the plastic a rough texture that no normal cleaning resolves). That pitting gives the headlight a "cloudy" look. I know some people on forums swear they have "restored" headlights with kits in the auto parts stores. The people I have seen in person who have tried, well, they did not look "good as new". These kits are giving you the tools to "retexture" or get rid of a very FINE layer of the plastic on the headlight.
My recommendation, buy good/new replacements, and apply wax VERY often.

2 - If there are no punctures, you may get away with a little body filler and a re-paint of the current bumper. I had a gouge in my '84 Camaro bumper filled and it was repainted with the entire car YEARS ago. Never could see the gouge after that. Consult a local reputable body shop.[/QUOTE

Thanks