Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Couple problems with a 95 Z34...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Default Couple problems with a 95 Z34...

First a big problem.... I been having a bad oil leak, like 2 quarts in a week will leak. I've been told by a oil change place (cant remember where I was) that it was my head gasket. Other people have looked at my car and said it couldn't be a blown head gasket because theres no smoking, no overheating, and the oil doesn't have that milkylook of a blown head gasket. Anyone have any suggestions of what could be causing the leak?

Secondly a smaller problem.... My window on the driver side isn't functionally normally. Usually when I press the button it goes down inch by inch and it seems frozen. Sometimes it goes down almost all the way even so im guessing it isn't the motor. Any suggestions on this problem?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Default RE: Couple problems with a 95 Z34...

One possible source coild be the oil pump drive cover O-ring is notorious for leaking on the 3.4's. The original O-ring material couldn't take the heat and dries out and leaks. I replaced mine when I replaced my upper and lower intake gaskets (also prone to leaking/cracking). The bad news is to do it right you have to remove the rear head. And that's a big job (I know). If you elect to do that you should also do the intake gaskets.
I had oil and sludge laying between my heads, below the intake manifold, on top of the block.
jogasz28

Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 PM

The driver side window has a feature where if you slightly depress the button, it'll only go down a little. But if you press the button all the way in and let it go, it'll still go all the way down. I know because I wondered about this myself. I read about it in the factory manual I bought. It's probly in the owners manual too.
jogasz28

Old 01-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the advice i'll get that checked out.

And about the window, I know how it works with the auto feature and all but what I'm saying is that it seems frozen. Its like I can hold down the button all I want but it'll just be stuck. If I leave it alone for a minute or so itll go down a little more at a time. It seems like its off track or something....

Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 AM

as far as your oil leak is concerned, as said above it is probably the oil pump drive seal. yes, you can remove the rear head to replace this seal. it is however, not necessary. you can replace this seal without removing the rear head. pm me and i can let you know how to do this without the removal of this head. as far as the window doing what it is doing, your motor is bad. i have had this happen to 2 out of 3 of my cars with the same problem. replacing the motor got rid of this problem. in order to replace the motor, you have to replace the regulator as well. GOOD LUCK

scott

Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jdawgkemp

Thanks for the advice i'll get that checked out.

And about the window, I know how it works with the auto feature and all but what I'm saying is that it seems frozen. Its like I can hold down the button all I want but it'll just be stuck. If I leave it alone for a minute or so itll go down a little more at a time. It seems like its off track or something....
If you are saying what I think you are the window starts, stops and restarts after it sits while you are continuously holding the switch. The window motor if I recall correctly has a thermal protection ckt inside, First try to lube the window tracks see if that might help. If it doesn't you may need to replace the motor. I did have to replace the switch on my 96 but the window would stop completely and after a few minutes it would work normal for maybe a few weeks before I had another problem.