Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Is winning Monte of the Month a kiss of death?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Is winning Monte of the Month a kiss of death?

I look back at all the members who have won a MOM competition and wonder where most have went. Not that I have taken time to thoroughly analyze members recent or last posts. Yet it appears to me we have this friendly monthly event here on the forum only to see the winner fade away within a matter of 2 to 3 or so months.

And therefore I mused to myself thinking that winning the monthly contest leads to the death of that member. Hence the Kiss of Death analogy. I mean the member is here for some time, perhaps 2 years or so, very active in discussions and such. Then when they are finally in the running for MOM they participate even more for the next 2,4 to 6 months till they eventually win. And then it seems the death spiral begins, initially enthusiastic posts the month after they win and perhaps the next month, then it seems their activity wanes away to a trickle. Perhaps a howdy here and there, then within 6 months or so no more.

Obviously this is not the way all MOM winners are, but it seems to me I bet a dozen or so MOM winners out of the past 2 years have just melted away. I wonder why that is? They sold, wrecked their Monte or just got what they wanted and bailed. Got bored with the forum or what. I guess if they would just give one an official good bye we would not be left to wonder about our forum friends and what has become of them.

Perhaps winning MOM is proving to be the demise of those who once were cool participating forum members. Maybe one should not want to be a MOM winner after all...

Kind of sad, thought we were a family, tough to see a member die...

Name:  thlips4.png
Views: 20
Size:  21.1 KB

Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i seen this exact same thing and its sad... but ive been here for well over a year after winning motm and im still here and dont plan on going anywhere. its very nice to win motm but being an active member and being able to help other members is the main reason i am here.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll tell you, I new Dbaldwin was gonna win Jan14, and Although in the deepest resources of my mind I Hope to win, I'm Glad he did. He is very deserving. But had I won, it would nit have mattered as far as my participation goes. With every car I've owned, I have wished there were someone who owned the same car that I could talk to when it wasn't running right. And I Love being able to help others in need when I do have an answer or idea on how to solve their issues. MCF has given me both these opertunities. To help and be helped! And that would be hard time give up. Even the guy across the street with the Black 03 LS DOESN'T work on his own car. Here, the members do, and encourage other members to at least pay attention to their Baby's and keep them running smooth. To know what work has been done, and possibly know how to do it.
We are, I am, exactly what the Title of this forum suggests, Monte Carlo Lovers, Monte Carlo Enthusiast! We have Pride in our car's pride in our selves and pride in MCF. Those who leave, drop of are those who do not feel the same. I wish them Well, but We will go on! Hopefully, they will come back. Once Family, Always Family!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:34 PM

seems like just in general most members are leaving or selling off their monte for mustangs or camaros or goats

Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

It's tough to say why some members "fade way".
I've even seen where a member went to the Monte Nats, won an award and I don't think it was a month later, he got rid of his Monte.

It may be possible a small percentage of these people hung around just to get MOTM, felt accomplished and left.
I believe for most, it was a coincidence. It could be a matter of they won and other things happened in life. It could also be they moved out of their Monte and decided they did not want to hang around a Monte forum.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I won MOTM and became admin. So there's hope if you stick around long enough.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Well, I guess this might define me, sorta. I won last January and disappeared for 10 months! I'm not going to go into it, but I'm still active. And I became more active than before after I won it the first time in May of 2009 - I was just a new member then.

Many members sell or maybe wreck their cars. I don't think there is much to this Kiss of Death a MOTM thing - just coincidence. Its like saying the playing a Bond Girl is the end of your acting career. Maybe we're more likely to notice the MOTM's absence more than other members who "fade out".

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Well, I guess this might define me, sorta. I won last January and disappeared for 10 months! I'm not going to go into it, but I'm still active. And I became more active than before after I won it the first time in May of 2009 - I was just a new member then.

Many members sell or maybe wreck their cars. I don't think there is much to this Kiss of Death a MOTM thing - just coincidence. Its like saying the playing a Bond Girl is the end of your acting career. Maybe we're more likely to notice the MOTM's absence more than other members who "fade out".
LOL, your to funny Junior, I like your candor.

I guess all in all if someone chooses to leave, I mean were not married to the forum by any means, it would be nice and courteous to get a formal good bye and say Adios Amigo's it's been fun, but I'm moving on. We all take a hiatus once in awhile as life takes us all over the map, but some who were particulary active members just up and dissappear leaving us to wonder what became of them. Once a person has been away for an extended period and has no real intention of a continued presence in the forum it would be nice to make a last post and clue us in on their intentions. But then again thats just my thinking...

Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg:

What the hell are you thinking????

You really think that someone who jets from the forum is really going to say adios? (other than space or spacerider) but they intentions are truly real...lol

Its tough enough to hear someone say thanks for the help...

That's just the way of forums Greg... People come and people go...

Its unfortunate ...but that's the way it is...

Old 01-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by solaris_vii
seems like just in general most members are leaving or selling off their monte for mustangs or camaros or goats

X2 That's what it maybe they sell their Monte an leave ..
I won Monte Of The Month -- July 2011

Quick Reply: Is winning Monte of the Month a kiss of death?