Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Why can't we have good things?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:28 PM
1 Year Member
Default Why can't we have good things?

Hey everyone, so here in North Carolina it seems like no one knows how to drive. People will randomly pull out in front of you, ride your tale, or do 30 mph on the highway. My mom just recently got a 2012 Dodge challenger, here is a pic.
Name:  IMG_20130413_174817_524.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  171.4 KB

Well her Challenger is now a big door stop for now. She was on her way to work this morning and got rear ended by someone who was all over her tail and traffic came to a stop and the lady wasn't paying attention. Just looking at it, cosmetically it isn't horrible. She did hit hard enough to buckle the right rear quarter panel, the rear bumper is trashed, and the trunk lid is way off. It looks as though we would just need to have the quarter panel fixed and get a new bumber (or should I say have the lady get us a new one) and have the trunk lid fixed. However, we went to take it to get looked at and she ended up bending the frame. So we are looking at about $7000 in repairs all because some lady couldn't pay attention. It amazes me at how some people on the road manage to get there license. At least the lady's insurance is going to pay for it. Still sucks to see such a gorgeous car get wrecked like that.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:51 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is bad drivers. New Jersey is especially a hellhole, which certainly is its driving reputation, because there are people who simply suck at driving (and by that phrase I mean that they are simply jerks, morons, absurdly unaware, and jerks -- oops, did I say that already? ) AND there are people like me who have to deal with their crap. I'm trying to get somewhere, and I can do it quicker than you so just get out of the way. Sometimes I won't drive particularly safely, I'll grant you that point, but it's usually because....well Idk, maybe I'm cool or something.

I have zero tolerance for people who are texting in driving. Anybody. I don't care if you're 17, 18 or if you're 30, 40, 50. It is absolutely the most dangerous and idiotic thing you can do. Put down your phones!!! There are statistics that say it's worse or on par with drunk driving.

Why can't we have good things?

Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats why they invented, Speaker Phone, Blue Tooth Head units, Audio Jacks, Speak to Text, and this great App. called VLingo. You can activate calls, messaging, text, other apps and not have to even look at your phone. All with your voice. But do people use these Great things? Not in Jersey! Even the cops in my town text and talk on their obied while driving! "Scotty, Been me up already"

Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM
1 Year Member

So it turns out that the lady tried to lie to the insurance company and say it was my moms fault. She got an ambulance ride and went to the emergency room and complained about being "hurt" and all that nonsense. Turns out she is fine (imagine that) and ended up telling the truth. So now not only does she have to pay for my moms car, my moms rental until hers gets fixed, her own car, she now has to pay for a ride in an ambulance as well as for going to the emergency room. It amazes me at how dishonest some people are in this world. Oh well, Now she gets to pay for more then what she originally would have and she deserves it. Maybe next time she will pay more attention and won't lie.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First, glad your mom is OK.

Second, it's awfully hard to LIE about it not being your fault when you rear ended someone. Even if that person came to an unexpected stop, and you hit them as a result, a cop might be generous and not give you a ticket, but at the end of the day, it your fault because..... "You did not have enough safe following distance". End argument.

Third, with damages up to $7000 and frame damage on an almost brand new car..... She clearly got hit pretty hard. I know body shops are good, but man, I'd be extremely irritated that a car, probably just around a year old, has suffered this level of damage! That type of an accident on an older car would total it out, but regardless, just caused BIG damage to resale value of the car if your mom chooses to ever part with it. I'm not sure what I would do at this point personally.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First, glad your mom is OK.

Second, it's awfully hard to LIE about it not being your fault when you rear ended someone. Even if that person came to an unexpected stop, and you hit them as a result, a cop might be generous and not give you a ticket, but at the end of the day, it your fault because..... "You did not have enough safe following distance". End argument.

Third, with damages up to $7000 and frame damage on an almost brand new car..... She clearly got hit pretty hard. I know body shops are good, but man, I'd be extremely irritated that a car, probably just around a year old, has suffered this level of damage! That type of an accident on an older car would total it out, but regardless, just caused BIG damage to resale value of the car if your mom chooses to ever part with it. I'm not sure what I would do at this point personally.
Yea, that's what my moms insurance agent said. Even if my mom was broken down in the middle of the road, it would have still been the ladies fault. And I don't think my parents would ever part with the car. I know my dad would never let go of it. It's his baby, my mom just gets to drive it haha. We found an amazing body shop. They do really high end stuff, such as full restorations be it on older cars all the way up to body kits or any kind of damage on things
like Audi R8's, Ferrari's, SLR McLarens, etc. They do crazy good work, the ladies insurance said we could pick any shop we wanted, so we are going with these guys.