Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Why can't people leave things alone!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Angry Why can't people leave things alone!

Alright, I'm all about moving forward & advancing but why can't smart people leave things alone! I mean I'm considered smart but why can't others see situations like this the same way I do? Ohh yeah I'm talking about a genetic engineering ordeal that I like to call unnecessary/dumb resurrection. The newest act of people trying to do this is as follows:

Researchers aim to resurrect mammoth in five years

Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported.

Under the plan, the nuclei of mammoth cells will be inserted into an elephant's egg cell from which the nuclei have been removed, to create an embryo containing mammoth genes, the report said.

The embryo will then be inserted into an elephant's uterus in the hope that the animal will eventually give birth to a baby mammoth.

Ohh yeah I don't see this plan going wrong at all! Okay, say these scientist do succeed & the wooly mammoth population comes back...poachers will just kill them off right away anyway so why waste the time. & what about their temperament? What if they are really aggressive? Am I the only one who thinks of this stuff???

& you know what else the succession of the recreation of the wooly mammoth will bring?

or this lovely fellow

Mhm cuz my fellow scientists (I'm majoring in science) can't control themselves. & this all reminds me of a smart scientist from one of my all time favorite movies...

Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park. I know cheesy but he said some of the smartest words ever that people should live by! & his words made good argument in my genetic engineering college paper my senior year (that I got an A on).

Although he had sooo many sarcastic & funny remarks, some have stood out to me for years...

"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

One of the best quotes ever & these scientists & all of the other scientists out there who are playing God should think about that. These animals are gone for a reason, there is a reason why we don't have exact copies of ourselves, there is a reason for all of this!

Dr. Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
Dr. Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...

John Hammond: Condors! Condors are on the verge of extinction. If I was to create a flock of condors on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say!
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No hold on, this is not some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or the building of a dam. Dinosaurs, uh, *had* their shot, and nature *selected* them for extinction!

& this is another moment that stands out for any scientist who try to "contain" these animals
Henry Wu: You're implying that a group composed entirely of female animals will... breed?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territory, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously.

&& another moment...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility... for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could and before you even knew what you had you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[pounds table with fists]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it,
[pounds table again]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you want to sell it!

&&& another that is amazing
Dr. Ian Malcolm: God help us; we're in the hands of engineers.

& this is what I will be saying when all of this happens in the future...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Boy, do I hate being right all the time!

& with my rant done, I think. I will leave y'all with one more quote to think about...

Dr. Ian Malcolm: What is so great about discovery? It is a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world.

That is all...sorry for the ridiculous rant but this kind of stuff reallyyyyy boils my blood!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Awww, c'mon Britney! That wooly mammoth is cute! Fuzzy little fella... I want one! And you can make a lotta piano keys with those tusks! Sign me up!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Jon

Setting the PACE of the new generation.

it would be cool to see one of these animals in todays time, but for it to live and adapt into our modern era would be impossible.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's kind of like reality meets Jurassic Park. The climate of today's world just doesn't suit the Wooly Mammoth. It would be neat in a zoo. I think we have more aggressive animals in the zoos. I don't know much about the Wooly Mammoth, but if we humans decided to genetically engineer one and bring it back, I think we could also genetically engineer some passiveness into one.

There are a lot of moral dilemmas here. There is also money to be made. What do you do?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I saw this and I was gonna make a thread about how awesome it is. I honestly think its gonne be cool. Think about seeing those things in the wild!!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Let them, we're not paying for it. :P
I think it's a cool project.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I'm with ya on this one Brittany. I think they should just leave things alone. There are all kinds of motives behind this. None of which are good in the long run.

And it won't be a true mammoth. It would be a mommoth-elephant hybrid. I think there's all kinds of things that would go wrong. Birth defects, new diseases, temperment issues, short life spans are all possibilities. But they definitely would suffer from poachers. With people willing to spend un-godly amounts of money to own genuine mammoth items.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM

They seemed pretty friendly in the movie ice age.

To me this is a bad idea as your are playing god and the consequences could be far reaching.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I think the wooly mammoths is an environmentally friendly alternative to high emission construction equipment. Like your can strap a cabin (made of sticks & rocks) to their backs to ride around in while moving things around with their trunks instead of a back hoe or crane. I saw it on the tv

Old 01-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I've seen that show. Reality show at the Slate rock quarry isn't it?
Yabba Dabba Doo!
LOL

Quick Reply: Why can't people leave things alone!