Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

- What Class are You ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: - What Class are You ?

A professor of mine used to tell us time and again, "Never trust a study." And I'd say a poll falls into this category as well. They are one sided designed to give the results expected.

If Uncle Sam tells me all Native Americans and their decendants are crazy from the word go, then I'd have to say Bolderdash!!!
I happen to know someone of Native American decent. Me for one. I doubt I'm crazy. Okay maybe just a little bit.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM

Yeah, I guess it is true that there are still classes at college. I went ahead and put myself middle class as my father bought my car and is paying for my first year of college, after that I'm on my own. Oh, and I would totally have a part-time job right now if it wasn't for the fact that us Architecture students have little time to sleep, let alone hold down a job. Maybe next semester when I transfer back instate for Graphic Design. I defiantly need to get a job then, I've got to pay for my trip for ISV to Australia.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Great thread!!! We have some of the most civilized discussions here for being "gear heads."

I've been on other forums and they more intellectual and pseudo-intellects they attract, they more they act like ******.

We have a geat middle-of-the-road membership crowd.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:39 AM

My thoughts are based on annual household* income:
Lower class = less then 35k
Lower middle = 36k to 80k
Middle = 81k to 140k
Upper Middle = 141k to 200k

*Household being both spouses incomes combined. Now remember this is my own personal opinion.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: LnLSS06

My thoughts are based on annual household* income:
Lower class = less then 35k
Lower middle = 36k to 80k
Middle = 81k to 140k
Upper Middle = 141k to 200k

*Household being both spouses incomes combined. Now remember this is my own personal opinion.
JR, Interesting view/post
I've posted several times that life is just a $ Money Game$.
You put a dollar value on the Social Classes, which gives
the reader a visual that everyone can relate.
I knew when I posted this thread that it would give several
member's a platform to state their views/opinions.
Everyone's post is appreciated.
I'm in the lower/lower class: way under 18K a year : (
Thanks JR...., thanks members
`Space

Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 AM

[align=center]

Take our decorating quiz and find out if you belong on Park Avenue or in a trailer park/houseboat : )!
Want to fit into another class? Better learn how to talk the talk. How many of these items can you identify?
What's your class attitude? Answer these simple questions, and find some revealing answers.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click on below link to take the test : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.pbs.org/peoplelikeus/games/index.html[/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 AM

Take a look at this chart, which shows not only how much taxes are paid by various income groups, but also each group's share ofthe total income: http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/341.html

Keep in mind that this is just federal income taxes. Why, it seems to me that it's the bottom 50% of income earners who are not paying their "fair share". Shazam!

In the not too distant future, the bottom 50-percent will be paying no federal income taxes at all, at which point the political debate over taxes will be finished -assuming those who pay no income taxes are still allowed to vote. [:@]

Alexander Tyler got it right when he said this, well over 100 years ago:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

Personally, I think we're currently in the process of moving into the "apathy to dependency" stage of Tyler's model.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: gale155

Alexander Tyler got it right when he said this, well over 100 years ago:

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

Personally, I think we're currently in the process of moving into the "apathy to dependency" stage of Tyler's model.
Gale, thanks for your post/input.
Our life just seems to be
a series of events or actions that repeat themselves regularly and in the same order <the cycle of birth, growth, decline, and death that is experienced by all life forms.
History repeats itself ? Aren't we suppose to learn from
our past, our history not to make the mistakes again ?
To climb the ladder of success, to only fall & start again.

[hr]
When you see someone in a Monte Carlo, what class
do you put the owner into ?
lower/middle/upper
[:-]

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Income tax whern first started was a "Temporary" thing to help the U.S. get back on it's feet after WWII.

It was not intended to be a perminent system.

You can bet it's perminent now.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i thought it was to pay for WWI, o'well

Quick Reply: - What Class are You ?