Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What brand of tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Summer: Nankang NS-II

Winter: Yokohama AVID TRZ
- Sorry, no pics, but I will attest that they're very good tires for rain and snow. I'm happy with my selection.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I'm boring....

I have the Hankook Optimo H727, 100,000 mile warranty... and with 110,000 miles on the car when I got them put on, it may be the last set of tires the car ever gets!! The same tire went on my parents Honda Odyssey at the same time. They're pretty loud for my tastes, ride about like the National Ovation's I had before. They have a ton of tread, and love the wet roads. My parents minivan didn't want to wander as much when the Hankooks went on as it did on the old Michelins. I live in North Carolina, so winter performance isn't necessarily an issue for me.

And my classic has a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. My signature pic has Good Year Light Foot's, but that was before I changed them.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM

I put Michelin HydroEdge's on about 25K miles ago. Excellent ride, quiet, good in rain. I don't have a picture of them on my car, but here's an advertising shot of the tread.

Attached Thumbnails What brand of tires-michelin-hydroedge.jpg  
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i've got a set of BFgoodrich traction T/A directional tires on mine that i got a fantastic deal on, and i LOVE them. the truck is getting BFG's too when i buy the tires for it, wouldint really concider anything else.

they do great in the rain, and hold the road really well. and i've flung the car around some wicked a$$ed corners too lol. did good in the slushy snow the couple times i had it out too. and the car runs like its on rails in dry weather nice and quiet too.

they look like the above, too lazy to go take pics in the cold rain right now, lol. found this discription on the same site:

"To drivers who want to enhance the performance of their sporty car, sedan or minivan, Traction T/A® delivers unbeatable traction and handling in dry and wet conditions. A directional tread that helps move water out of the way. The same tread compound found in ultra-high performance all-season tires for extra control at your fingertips. And hundreds of computer-generated "biting edges" to give you the edge when it snows. Great traction plus outstanding mileage.

•70,000 mile manufacturer's limited treadlife warranty.

•T-speed rate"

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...92626&pc=38393

Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM

During the summer i use Goodyear Eagle Gt's and love them, lots of grip in the raid and on dry ground.

For the winter i use Firestone Winterforce, and i could not be happier. this will be my second winter with them and they have a nice quiet ride and awesome grip in the snow. Studdable also, i chose against it because the noise would drive me nuts.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I dont remember what i had on my 5th Gen. All i know is that they were black and round.

But back in my mini-truckin days, i used to always use BFGoodrich Euro T/As. My Apache and my Cougar had BFGoodrich Radial T/As. I'll be getting those for the Jimmy when she is ready for new shoes.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:08 AM

My car came with Hankook optimos, 235/55R17 v rated, when I bought it and they absolutely suck. If I give anymore then half throttle from a stop they spin and forget about it on wet ground. Its even worse now with the 3.6 pulley and rockers.

Next spring I plan on buying a set of firestone firehawk indy 500 which are ultra high performance summer only tires. They are suppose to have awesome traction and wear halfway decent too

For winter I bought a set of 16 inch wheels and run 225/60R16 Studded Firestone Winterforce. This cars a tank with those. We had 18 inches in one storm and it went through it like dry ground. Even on the highway when its snowing and slushy I can usually safely drive the speed limit. Its a tire I highly recommend. They are noisy when studded but the studs are well worth it IMO if you get a lot of ice

Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

great thread looks like I'm buying a set of Firestone Winterforce tires for my winter only tires, gonna mount them on my current wheels and then buy a new set of summer only wheels and tires in the spring!

Old 11-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I will admit my Hankooks are bad for a performance oriented driver... I've sort of come to the conclusion that a front wheel drive V6 ain't a race car. You guys with the superchargers can fight me on that, but I don't have a supercharger, so meh.

There are a few different Hankooks Optimos. There are the H724's, 725's, and something like a 717, then the 727 is the most expensive is the one I have. I don't try to drive performance wise... traction for me means it drives straight and doesn't want to wash off the road, and it doesn't do that!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I just put new tires on my Monte about a month ago. I went with the Michelin Hydroedge. They look awesome (sorry no pic) and they are awesome in the rain. Handling is amazing, I can throw the car into this one on ramp from one highway to another at 90 mph and it sticks like glue to the road.

Before the Michelins I had Continental Conit Pro contacts...they were overall good tires in all aspects. And I got 63,500 miles out of them.