Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Turbocharging Goes Mainstream + More : )

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Turbocharging Goes Mainstream + More : )

Turbocharging Goes Mainstream

Not just for those who want to drive fast and furious, the turbocharger has a pragmatic side as well.

By Erik Sofge of MSN Autos

New York Auto Show Turbocharging — for decades a symbol of high-end, on-demand power — has finally gone mainstream. It's easy to forget that when the technology's first real ambassador, the Porsche 911 Turbo, debuted in 1974, the Arab oil embargo was at its peak. The "No Substitute" Turbo offered performance and pragmatism: turbochargers boost pressure in the engine, increasing torque and horsepower, while dropping fuel consumption. But as gas lines disappeared, so did the emphasis on fuel economy. Never a low-end feature, turbocharging then became an added bonus for, say, the well-heeled BMW or Mercedes-Benz owner who loved driving fast and hard. Still is.
But at this year's New York International Auto Show, it was clear that the technology isn't just being used for its get-up-and-go possibilities any more here in the United States, as high-performance turbocharged models from the likes of Volvo and BMW were joined on the show floor by much more affordable, turbocharged models from Chevrolet, Hyundai and Kia. Why? To boost fuel economy, of course.
It now seems possible that turbocharging could eventually become a standard feature on all gas engines. "When you look down the line, at what customers want, at what the fuel-efficiency regulations are demanding, everyone is going to have to be applying this technology," says Alan Hall, technology communications manager at Ford, which expects to have 90 percent of its fleet turbocharged by 2013. "Is it more expensive? Yes. But there's no other way to get there," says Hall about meeting the customers desire for both power and good gas mileage.
Here's a look at five of the latest turbocharged vehicles coming down the pike and what makes them so notable.

Chevrolet Cruze Eco

Click to enlarge picture
2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco

The smallest of the show's new turbo vehicles, the Cruze might also be the best example of where the technology is headed. Everything about this compact is geared towards fuel economy, including the standard Ecotec 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, which gets as estimated, hybrid-like 40 mpg on the highway. Topping out at 138 horsepower, don't expect this powerplant to blow the doors off of, well, anything. But Chevy claims that the power is there when you need it — the Eco delivers 148 lb-ft. torque at just 1800 rpm — but the 4-cylinder fuel efficiency is always there.
Nissan Juke

Click to enlarge picture
Nissan Juke

Aside from the expense, the biggest potential drawback to turbocharging is the process itself. That boost in pressure, as well as the cycling of exhaust air back into the engine, can lead to overheating, among other problems. The answer, traditionally, has been money, namely the price of fancier engines and frequent synthetic oil changes. But the cost of adding direct fuel injection to engines, which can offset climbing turbo-related temperatures, appears to be dropping. Gasoline direct-injection is sometimes called GDI or, in the case of the newly announced Nissan Juke's turbocharged 1.6-liter 4-cylinder DIG (direct-injection gasoline). Nissan hasn't announced the mileage on the sub-$20,000 crossover, but another advantage of direct injection is improved fuel efficiency, making it even more of a natural fit for the newer, more sensible influx of turbochargers.
Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

Click to enlarge picture
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T

Another, well-known downside to turbocharging is lag, that brief but strangely endless moment when the engine is revving high, but hasn't built up enough exhaust to kick in the turbo (a kick that, it should be noted, thrills some drivers, and rattles others). So while the new Sonata 2.0T's 2-liter turbo GDI enjoys the usual turbocharged benefits — V6-level power (274-hp) with a 4-cylinder's economy (34 mpg on the highway) — it also borrows a feature from a more exclusive breed of car. The 2.0T's engine incorporates a twin-scroll turbocharger, which increases the amount of exhaust captured. That means the turbocharger kicks in earlier and more seamlessly, providing 269 lb-ft. torque at 1800 rpm, with little to no lag. Hyundai hasn't announced the price on the 2.0T, which replaces the V6 option on the Sonata, but the message is clear: not only is turbocharging coming to the masses, but the lag-fighting performance features normally found in high-end engines are ready for primetime, too.
BMW 550i

Click to enlarge picture
2011 BMW 5-Series

Of course, the old guard in turbocharging was still on display at the show: Volvo's S60 comes in a variety of turbocharged variations, and nearly every new model shown by BMW was outfitted with a unit. The redesigned 5-series, which BMW claims is its single most popular domestic product, includes the 550i, with its 400-horsepower, twin-turbo direct injection 4.4L V8. BMW hasn't released fuel economy numbers, but claims that turbocharging provided more power than its naturally aspirated V8, without increased fuel burn, and with less displacement (down from 4.8 liters). So while the luxury automaker isn't making fuel economy a top priority, turbo allows BMW to continue pushing the limits of performance without sacrificing mileage.
Ford Edge

Click to enlarge picture
2011 Ford Edge

Speaking of sacrifice, in the name of improving fuel efficiency across its entire fleet of vehicles, Ford is willing to strip turbocharging of any semblance of sex appeal by rebranding the feature as EcoBoost. So car, Ford has four EcoBoosted models: the Flex, Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKT and MKS. The Edge will begin shipping with a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder this summer, replacing the current model SUV's V6.
Ford spokesman Alan Hall expects more V6 to 4-cylinder replacements in the near future, followed by widespread V8 to V6 downsizing and increasingly smaller-displacement 4-cylinder engines. As direct-injection and turbochargers themselves become more common, the price premium should disappear. And even if it doesn't, the premiums associated with hybrids and full-electrics are here to stay. Unless emissions standards and gas prices suddenly reverse, turbo is likely to become the rule for gas engines, not the exception. "Turbocharging used to be for sports cars," says Hall. "What we're doing now, focusing on fuel economy, is bringing it down to earth."

Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I like that the auto manufactures are keeping in mind that we don't just want small fuel efficient cars. We want regular cars,with power to spare, and great fuel economy!

BTW, that Nissan is UGLY! :P

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM

...Hi `Michael, when are you going to Turbo your R.S.
It would be a Super Mod for you 2 `do
What's you next mod on your list 4 your `Monte ?
I 'm waiting 2 C if GM will put turbo's on the new Camaro
- the V-6 & the V-8's -

Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

haha, yea i'd love to be able to turbo the Monte. But I don't have the time, money, or extra car that I would need to make a turbo set up logical.

IDK what my next mod will be. I said I was done with modding the Monte, but then went and bought the projection headlights for it, so who knows, if I find something I really want, i'll probably buy it. haha (assuming its not to much money). But before I buy anything, I need to save for all new struts and tires. My struts are pretty much shot, and my tires are down to the wear bars, and starting to cup. So I plan on getting new struts and tires at the and of summer, right before the rain comes in fall.

It would be pretty awesome to see turbo Camaro's, holy crap those would be fast! I really think GM could make one heck of an engine out of the already awesome 3.6L V6.