Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.
View Poll Results: What's your choice ? Post why `OK
Supercharger
62.50%
Turbo
31.25%
N/A Natural Aspirated
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

> Turbocharging Vs. Supercharging <

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool > Turbocharging Vs. Supercharging <

Hi Member's,
Please `Vote above ^ & post why you chose the one you voted for ?

Do we have more member's that like Superchargers ? Turbo's ? or N/A ?
  1. Supercharger

• A supercharger is directly mounted onto the engine and uses a pulley and belt. There are centrifugal-style, screw-type and roots-type superchargers. They use impellers, twin rotating screws and counter-rotating rotors, respectively. All superchargers pull air in to be compressed, but faster engine revolutions per minute (rpm) increases the boost of superchargers.

Turbocharger
    • A turbocharger uses exhaust gas from the engine traveling through the exhaust manifold. The gas then powers the turbocharger's turbine, which drives the air compressor. Turbine speeds can exceed 75,000 rpm, reaching up to 150,000 rpm. Because turbochargers can spin so fast, they have higher peak boost numbers. Also, turbochargers do not require any of the direct engine power that superchargers need.

Lag
    • Superchargers yield faster power than turbochargers because a supercharger is mounted on the engine. Turbochargers require exhaust gas from the engine meaning the turbocharger has to wind up before it can even function. While it is winding up, little to no boost is created. Superchargers on the other hand can create extra power even at low engine rpm.

Efficiency
    • Turbochargers are more efficient than superchargers because it uses engine gas exhaust waste to run. Superchargers rely on the direct power of the engine crank which could be used on the wheels. Turbochargers also create less drag when the impeller device is not spinning. Turbochargers create inefficiencies like exhaust backpressure and exhaust flow interruption.

Installation
    • Many enjoy the ease of superchargers over turbochargers in terms of installation. Superchargers have few components and simpler parts. Turbochargers can require complex modifications. While expertise is required for turbocharger installation, superchargers can be installed by most novice mechanics. Superchargers also require less tuning and upgrading.

Last edited by Space; 10-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Obviously I'm a supercharger guy

I like my powerband, ability to have better traction, and cooler running temps.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Wish i could supercharge a LS4. Love superchargers

Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

TURBO!! bolting a turbo kit to these cars vs bolting a top swap (supercharger) the turbo will make more power every time. building a supercharged car vs building a turbo car with our engines the turbo car will make more power every time. plus the sound of a turbo spooling up and the sound of the BOV is awesome! superchargers are very nice as well and make very respectable HP numbers but i will turbo every time!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I prefer supercharged!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM

i will have to wait to pick. I am installing my topswap tomorrow! once done i'll have the info to make my choice

Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Supercharge, everyone uses turbos, superchargers are not as common, plus I have one and its fun

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Turbocharger is the way to go. I'm building my Monte to be a pretty fast car and while a Super can make it scoot down the road fairly well, the turbo makes stupid hp, causing her to fly down the road.

Seems just a few years back most all american cars if boosted were Supercharged and only im ports were turboed. That's another reason I wanted to turbo, try something new on our cars.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 PM

For me I like superchargers more and that is what I would do to my car if I could. I know turbos make way more power. But I like the sound of a supercharger more and to me opening up a hood and seeing a whipple supercharger under the hood just sends chills up my spine.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

For me I just cruise the car to and from shows and as cool as it would be to just say it was turbo charged for me it would not do anything for me .I have thought about it a lot for 3 years. I just can't convince myself that I would like the car more with it. So I will be the odd man out and say I love mine just as she sits N/A Natural Aspirated and proud to keep it that way.

Quick Reply: > Turbocharging Vs. Supercharging <