Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Senseless abuse of horsepower!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 AM
Default RE: Senseless abuse of horsepower!

My 06 SS lets me spin them as much as I desire (with TC off)so I can't explain the problem.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

heres how i usualy do it with TC off. What you do is put the car just in drive, don't owrry too much about gearing. hold the break down pretty far and push the gas until you got about 2-2500 rpm's but still not moving. this may take a try or so to get right, but mash the thorttle nad release the foot breka at the same time. i cna lay rubber for 30-40 ft that way.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:54 AM

hmmm just 3 nights agoi did a huge smoke show... but i usually try tohave the traction control off for at least 20 mins or so before hand. Then i never seem to have a problem.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM

I agree. I easily can burn through a set of tires within a one week time frame, so I have to watch it when flooring it from the start. Hell, I was only home for 2 weeks and almost went through a set of front tires. Once you put the 04 traction control off, it STAYS off. And you are right about the new Chrysler and Dodge Lineup. You have to turn off the ETC (extra traction control) immediately after turning on your car, before the chiming stops. Unfortunately though, after your first burnout, and stopping, the ETC will kick in again on the new Daimler Series of the SRT8. Maybe try the same thing on the new montes?

Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've tried doing a burn out with the TC off. The tires will begin to slip but then you can feel the TC kick in and stop any useless display of tire wear.

I've read other '06 owners complain of the TC coming aback on even if they turn it off.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 PM

Well, the TC is confusing... First it uses ABS if you have the brakes on... from what I understand the car will not, or can not activate the breaks anymore than you already are.... so if you aren't touching the breaks, then it's forced to simply use thefly-by-wire Throttle control. Also, the guy at GM said it de-tunes the engine. So I think it will actually reduce horsepower for a certain amount of time-in addition to limiting the throttle. That way the next time around the car doesn't have as much power to try and shred the tires with.

But yeah, try Gabe's reccomendation... I've done it where if you drive around with TCC off it will finally let you do what you want, but probably only if you haven't caused it to activate for awhile. So like if you wait 5 minutes, then try again, and it comes on, then you have to wait the full 20 minutes or so again.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:11 PM

My '00 did the same thing if both front wheels spun. It is called torque managment. If you get a ECM form ZZ they have it removed if you like. My bonneville has the same thing and it is a 97. Kinda sensless having a Traction Control button with this huh

Old 08-29-2007, 10:58 PM

Well. I finally got rid of the goodyears, after last night when the monte hydroplaned down the Transcanada at 120k/ph.. Got the new set today. Same tires.. Perhaps the programming is so that you dont damage the tranny.. I would have loved to send them out the right way, but as my montes primary function is a family hauler, safety comes first...