Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

3.9L. Need More Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Default 3.9L. Need More Horsepower

Hi,

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo LT. I have a 3.9L in it with 240HP but I want more Horsepower. What do I have to do to achieve more horsepower? I would like at least 300HP. Is there a big Difference between FWD and RWD when it has to do with horsepower and racing? T

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Default RE: 3.9L. Need More Horsepower

Hi Deno & Welcome to the MCF
There is not to many mod's for the 3.9 @ present.
If I wanted 300+HP, I would save & search for a 06-07 Monte V-8 SS.
It already has a stronger structure, transmission, rims/tires etc.
From the Research I've found there is only about a second difference
between the 3.9L & the V8 in 0 to 60 times & quarter mile times.
But, there is nothing like the sounds of a Chevy V-8.
I love my 3.9 for the Power/MPG & much lower insurance cost
then a V-8 SS.
I'm sure the MCF members will postother suggestions for you.
Wish you good luck & safe/fun/fast miles in your new Monte.
Look forward to your future posts.
`Space

Old 06-27-2007, 07:19 AM

well the 3900 is just like all other 60 degree v6 out there every performance part you want will have to be made by you or some one you know
but a less restrictive exhaust system,and air intake is always a good place to start with
but if you have good fabricating skills some headers would be great !
and i know that some cam companys make regrind's for the 3400 so maybe you could call them and see if they also regrind the 3500/3900
and you can always put boost to it or spray!!!!!! for that extra power

Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Many members have reported that mods other than exhaust and intake are slow in coming. Just be patient and enjoy your 36/39k warranty.

If you don't have the 100k warranty, you should be able to mod it after that.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM

I don't think FWD / RWD has anything to do with HP. What I can tell you is that Space DooD is absolutely right, the V8 models are beefed up somewhat because of the added HP. You want to make sure you are holding on tight if you punch the 5.3. I would imagine ifa 3.9 was modded up, it would be quite an added strain on the rest of the stuff.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

I don't think FWD / RWD has anything to do with HP. What I can tell you is that Space DooD is absolutely right, the V8 models are beefed up somewhat because of the added HP. You want to make sure you are holding on tight if you punch the 5.3. I would imagine ifa 3.9 was modded up, it would be quite an added strain on the rest of the stuff.
That's correct. FWD and RWD don't make any differance in HP, it's just the placement of the drive wheels and the fact that RWD cost more to manufacture.

Typically FWD also has less engine bay space due to everything being up front.

Finally the V8 models are beefier. There are next to no mods yet, but it's becoming more poplular to turbo them but you need to fabricate all the plumbing so it costs quite a bit.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Revitupfaster

I also agree. The best way to beef up the 3.9 without putting strain on it is to beef down the car.

I'd suggest dropping the 3.9 into a Mazda 3 series or something similar to feel the real "bang" of the engine.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Just to touch on a few things I've read so far...

RWD compared to FWD

One thing you have to ask your self when deciding if one is better then the other is what kind of driving are you going to be doing???

The reason thats an important question is, because Rear wheel drive cars make great drifting cars because the torque being in the back swings the back end around with little effort. The is good for this application.. Front wheel drive cars are great in my opinion. the only downfall you may notice is that you experience something pros call torque steer... Torque steer is when you accelorate real hard the front tires spin causeing the front end to shift front left to right and right to left... may not seem like a big deal but when doing a 1/4 mile you dont want the front end to point at a wall when you launch... it seems to be easier to get grip with a FWD car because the motor and trans are basiclly sitting on the front wheels...

That aside neither have anything to do with HP.

If you want some more pep in your Monte I would suggest that you start with the basics... let your ride breath better...(performance intake and exhaust)

There are many exhaust kits, most of which will feetch you the same power add but sound is the big difference. Secondly I would get your pcm tuned or get a super chip..This is where a computer changes your factory settings to increase power...Some of the things that a tuner or chip will change is preset rev limiter top speed limiter, factory shift points.spark advance...

i dont have any diffinitive numbers but if you do these things, it will wake up your monte... I promise....if interested PM and ill get you contact info. for the parts and things i mentioned for the best deals...I had to do the homework so Id be glad to save anyone a few footsteps.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: MonteSS2001

it seems to be easier to get grip with a FWD car because the motor and trans are basiclly sitting on the front wheels...
This is correct in the lower HP applications, but as you go up in HP it is being proven as false.

During the initial launch the weight moves to the back of the car hence the reason you see the RWD cars lifting the nose in the air.RWD cars also have the option of getting much larger tires and better grip to avoid slipping. FWD's don't have that option and just spin the tires. There are some developments on this where wheelie bars are being put on and have constant contact with the track to avoid the lift.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:51 AM

Wow, Thank you all. That is a lot of info. I really appreciate it. I didnt know anything about my car until now. You all are really great thanks again.

Quick Reply: 3.9L. Need More Horsepower