Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Senseless abuse of horsepower!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Default Senseless abuse of horsepower!

Ok folks.. The stock goodyears are starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Its only right to send them off to heaven the proper way, right? Burnout time..

So we set the car up after getting clearance from the local PD, on goes the park brake, and into first gear. Tromp on the old pedal and I get to hear the goodyears in thier last final song. Thank god.. Then my photographer tells me to stop!

Apparently I was dragging the rear end of the car. Traction control light came on. "Oh yeah.. Duh.." I thought and pressed the oober button of tire death again. Same effect.

Puzzled, we wished the PD a good night and packed it it, scratching our heads. As luck would have it the nice warm, dry roads of earlier had gotten wet from a rain earlier. Again, I tromp on it. The engine revs. Then bogs. Then Revs then bogs, only chirping the tires. I curse, and reach down to press the magic button and I noticeThe traction control is... Off?

I mean come on! I know I have the 3500, but it should still scat a set of rubber!

What Am I doing wrong? how do I defeat this traction control demon....

Old 08-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Default RE: Senseless abuse of horsepower!

1. Hi `Ian
2. I'm still researching on how to turnTC `off
3. How many miles on your GoodYears ?
4. What are you going to replace them with ?
5. Love your avatar~> Is that you dog'ie ?
6. I hope that a member knows how to control the Traction Control
and post the infor. It's in the computer somewhere ?
We look forward to your answer's.
~ Peace ~
`Space & Bum's

Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

well the best way would have been to put a little bit of stuff on the tires to make them slipery, but they should have spun still, but i've even heard on the 300c's and the magnums with the hemi's in them that the tires dont barely spin with the traction control off, its a function that the manufacturers have been putting in the cars

Old 08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For nice smokey burnouts, I always like putting bleach on the tires.
One time a friend of mine got so much smoke, you couldn't see the car anymore.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Yep.. well the monte Just rolled over 30,000kms, and the tires are down to the wear bars.. Im really hard in the corners.. I think Im going to invest in the Goodyear tripletred (or was it michelin?) We have TONS of rain and snow in this area and the goodyear integrity on the car just doesnt cut it for me.

So we gave it a go with bleach. No change. We gave it a go with vegtable oil.. And spent most of the afternoon cleaning the wheel wells.. These are the tires that just wont die!! Lol...

A mopar fella next door said the computer migt have it.. His magnum wont spin the tires much with the tc off either.. Whch makes me wonder how the heck you'd spin the tires if you were stuck in a rut of snow, or even at the track if you had some drag radials or something... Whats the chances GM put in an anti-abuse device into the montes?

My avatar is the arctic fox, pretty common in canada, more so in invut and the yukon, but sometimes you will see them as far down as where I live. Crafty , wise and usually crazy. Just like me.. Crazy like a fox.. And I have a crazy addiction to caffeene, hence "HyperFox". I actually have had a fox I was taking care of in my backyard, until last year when she went back to the wild.. I her now tattooed on my arm.. But thats another story. I dont want to hijack my own thread.. lol

Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM

Goodyear TripleTread from TireRack.com is what I'm going to be getting. I've got 55,000 on the RSA's and its time to swap them.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 PM

Yeah I thought so. Ive heard some pretty good words about them and I think the price is fair. They also look pretty sweet.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:15 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What I've read about the TC, whether you turn it off or not the computer will turn it back on when/if it feels the tires are not getting the traction the computer feels it needs to have.

I tried doing a little bit of a chirp with my tires before. On or off didn't make that much of a difference with the TC.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Sounds right Rj. I guess its a failsafe in the PCM to prevent us from abusing the car. Basically Im guessing the Traction Control button isnt an On/off switch, but more of a Low/high switch.. lol

Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 AM

That must be something new with the 06+ vehicles. The 04 lets me smoke all day.

Quick Reply: Senseless abuse of horsepower!