Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Are semi-automatic weapons for personal defense?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not a huge gun owner, only have one. But i think it would be wrong to take guns away from law abiding citizens. If they criminals want guns, they'll find a way to get them. You'll just leave law abiding citizens with no way to defend themselves and i think crime would go up if criminals know there is a lower chance of someone else being armed.

A co worker of mine had an interesting point, arm everyone. You're not going to go randomly shooting if you know someone will shoot back.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Well, if you really want to kill somebody, you will, one way or the other.

But statistically, you're significantly less likely to be robbed/burglarized/raped/etc what have you if you pull a gun on the perp. It's one of the few deterrents that actually work more often than not. Most criminals are opportunists who want easy targets. They don't want work, and many of them simply don't want to hurt anyone in the first place. A potential victim with a gun is work, and much of the time the encounter will end right there without shots fired.

... which is also why you never hear about it on the news, of course

Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Well, if you really want to kill somebody, you will, one way or the other.

But statistically, you're significantly less likely to be robbed/burglarized/raped/etc what have you if you pull a gun on the perp. It's one of the few deterrents that actually work more often than not. Most criminals are opportunists who want easy targets. They don't want work, and many of them simply don't want to hurt anyone in the first place. A potential victim with a gun is work, and much of the time the encounter will end right there without shots fired.

... which is also why you never hear about it on the news, of course
I say outlaw cars...the no. #1 killer of people in the U.S.