Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Are semi-automatic weapons for personal defense?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Are semi-automatic weapons for personal defense?

One has to be aware of all the issues surrounding ownership of semi-automatic rifles. Some officials in the government as well as some people of the public sector have split feelings over who whould be able to own what type of weapon. Notice how many sheriff departments across the country have come out saying they will not enforce any new gun laws that require people to turn in thier weapons or high capacity magazines. Then you have those including the govt. who say the average american citizen has no need to possess a semi-automatic rifle especially the ominous appearing black military appearing ones.
It is argued we have no need for one as what have we to fear and all we need is a 5 rd shotgun for personal defense. Then interestingly enough the DHS has put out an order for 7,000 rifles capable of selective fire to include full auto. And right there in their solicitation proposal as for the purpose of the weapons they state they are for PERSONAL DEFENSE. So why is it they are able to claim they need them for personal defense and when we make the same claim we are labeled as some wacko type survivalist. I sense a disarming of the average american citizen. What a wild world we now live in.

See excerpt from article below and a link to the actual bid request.

The scope of this contract is to provide a total of up to 7,000 5.56x45mm North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) personal defense weapons (PDW) throughout the life of this contract to numerous Department of Homeland Security components.
The action shall be select-fire (capable of semi-automatic and automatic fire).

Link to article: See article IN section C (PDW) and enlarge the 1st paragraph.

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&m...=core&_cview=0

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im not a fan of anything this gov is doing right now so hypocritical , there trying to solve an issue with the dumbest or reasoning, instead of fixing the system they think taking guns away will make everything better & itll be sunshine & rainbows all over when really crime & shootings will go up, i carry a 9mm in my car where ever i go & i have a carry permit so its on me at times, i own alot of guns that this ban there pushing threw covers, will i give em up, bet your *** i wont, i think the days of the gov are gone & the days of a controling gov are coming up

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Its the wrong move in there part to try and ban them. There taking the guns out of law abiding citizens saying it will keep them out of criminals hands... my question is since when did criminals abide by the law to begin with? Making these illegal will stop a criminal because the gun is illegal now? Yea OK, this govt is messed up IMO

Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM

I don't really have a strong opinion on it. It doesn't apply to me, I don't own an "assault riffle" and was never planning to.

This isn't the first time the government has come up with stupid rules. A criminal is going to get their hands on something if they want it regardless of whether it's banned. And what difference does it make what they're shooting people with? It only takes one shot from anything to die. It appears that the government is punishing those who abide by the laws rather than those who don't. Harsher penalties for those who break the current gun laws would have been sufficient.

As for the original question, no. My personal opinion, the weapons in question are more for "play" for gun enthusiasts. During a home invasion, I picture someone grabbing a pistol tucked away in their nightstand or in their closet for emergencies, or concealed on them for self defense. But again, I'm not an owner so perhaps I'm biased.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

What's the problem with semi-automatic rifles? Handguns are semi-automatic... Are they gonna ban them too?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 AM

I think there's a people problem in our country & on planet `Earth...There are those that have not been taught to be good.
To many have been programed to hurt by their bad experiences in life & had no mentors/teachers guidance to be good to others in their life. They will continue to hurt until they are reprogrammed or re-taught...Those that can't follow the laws & rules of life must be contained or they shall continue to hurt others...

Cars can & do kill "Lets ban them"

We the people must elect people that are for the majority of "We the People" & not for special interest groups.

To many in D.C. have sold their souls/minds to get in office. Money & Power corrupts/controls! Sad, but `true!

2012 Election Will Be Costliest Yet, With Outside Spending a Wild ...

<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-style: normal;">OpenSecrets.org: Money in Politics -- See Who's Giving & Who's GettingNews & AnalysisOpenSecrets Blog</cite>
Aug 1, 2012 – The presidential race by itself will cost about $2.5 billion

People starving & living on the streets in the USA It should not `be...People without health insurance, etc...We the people must get involved `if we want change for the better..We have to many that just keep taking & give nothing back to their country....We have to many that can work, but don't. We must reform the leeches...Or just sit back & do nothing & accept what you get & have (your choice ?) `amen

Urban Dictionary: sheepeople

<cite style="color: rgb(0, 153, 51); font-style: normal;">www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheepeople</cite>
People that follow the herd (the majority). Easily influenced by peers/media to adopt certain behaviors or blindly follow trends. The "freedom" to ...
We are `One ?

or we should `be to change things for the better on Planet `Earth. People must learn to obey the laws/rules & work peacefully to change the laws that are unfair to the majority `amen

That's all that's falling outa my tired `mind + I've had 2 much high test coffee during the night to stay awake @ work (That's my excuse 4 the above) lol - Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 01-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I think their argument is not that banning certain guns will guarantee criminals won't get them. I think their point is to make it more difficult for them to get. Will that work? Probably not.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM

There's very little chance of any ban actually passing. The most likely to pass will be the universal background checks, but that also won't have any measurable affect on the problem they claim to be wanting to solve. The emotions are starting to subside and reason is beginning to take over again.

Politicians aren't stupid, they know where to look for hard statistics on self-defense use. They just don't care.

What really gets me is when even some gun owners don't recognize the potential need for "high cap" mags. If the criminals have them, than any given one of us has a potential need for them. But in the end it's not even about "needing" this or that, it's that we simply have a right to arms in common use... which is precisely what they're after.

TLDR; I've stopped worrying so much about bans, and more about voting out those who have spoken in support of one so that we don't have to go through this crap all over again someday.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In line with semi auto rifles:
The government is also looking to ban you owning multiple magazines or high count magazines....Meaning you can only have the magazine that came with the gun originally...

They dont want anyone to have any gun,Pistol/rifle that can hold more shells than it was manufactured to use....

In my Honest opinion:
When they outlaw guns, Only outlaws wil have them...

If only the government would step up, and alleviate the "NUT" cases that are now on the books and own hand guns/rifles etc... Those people should not any longer be allowed to have them... To me thats the real problem. IMO.

Does the government have the right to take away my 2nd amendment rights to bare arms... I say No absolutely not!
I like" Mike" will choose to NOT turn them over...

Times like these..The way the country is heading.... If your not...you should be! ...There could be a revolution comeing...

Ive always said...Better to be safe than sorry!

It looks like the government is trying to take away high powered assault
rifles. But who hunts with an assault rifle?/ I hunt for the meat (1 shot 1 kill)...not to swiss cheese my meat. lol

For those of us that live in Michigan..right now is the best time to purchse firearms/ and a license to carry... If Obama has his way...who knows what this world will turn into...
Since I live in wayne county... and detroits police force is nill/corrupt.
The only one I can count on...IS ME!

NUFF SAID..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Being a part of the gov't I have mixed feelings about it. But my overall standpoint is, if criminals break the law and you make certain guns illegal, then you're empowering criminals with the ability to know that all law abiding citizens are now at a disadvantage for protecting themselves.

Now far stretch here I know, but I would like to see us go back to old west days where everyone was allowed and encouraged to open carry. I highly doubt there'd be any mass murders or killing sprees that would last longer than a couple seconds, if everyone had a weapon and everyone else knew it. A criminal is much less likely to try to rob/carjack/rape/accost someone with a pistol holstered on their hip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are semi-automatic weapons for personal defense?