Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

porting because im bored

Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Default porting because im bored

so I have this old blown 3.4 sitting on the ground and I just bought a new dremel so I picked up the upper intake manifold and started cleaning up the inside runners,im not worried about messing it up since its going to the scrap yard next week but I really dug into it and made it really smooth and shiny

id like to know more about doing it properly and efficiently incase id like to do it on my next engine,or would I be better off getting it done by a pro?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As a new Dremel owner, I recommend getting really familiar with www.WidgetSupply.com. Lots of awesome stuff for a Dremel and CHEAP!

As for porting, you have to be some what careful on some stuff. Such as it's not always about port-n-poilish. Some drivetrains work better with smoothing the rough castings BUT having some texture, allows the air to be more turbulent (which helps mix air and fuel).

When porting a LIM, you can either port match (meaning port the LIM so the ports better align with the head) or gasket match (if you do this, you need to port the heads too, otherwise, you have created a "step" that is not favorable to air flow).

There is a LOT you can do with a Dremel and playing around. There are some things I've seen recommended on the L67 LIM that could help. I know the Pontiac Bonneville guys have done a lot in the world of custom fab work with the L36 and L67.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the Info Maniac,ive been looking for a good place to buy bits and stuff,walmart is way too expensive and doesn't have a good selection

the main reason I done this is to get familiar with using a dremel and holding it steady,but ive worked with grinders for a long time and became very detailed with them

I realized gasket matching is always one step ahead lol,if you do the UIM you have to do the LIM and if you do that then you have to do the heads or like you said there will be a big step in between. I might just use it to Polish my intakes to get all that gunk off the runners to burn cleaner

Old 05-16-2015, 05:49 PM

10 Year Member

Here are things I've done with my L36 and a Dremel (and lots of stuff from WS):
'04 Monte Carlo SS - L67 Throttle Body
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Port Matched LIM
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...c-heavy-48949/

Lots of fun times. Kinda like an art form. And it takes a lot of playing around to find the best bits for the different jobs.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:14 PM

that's nice man,great job

is there any more threads about the l26 swap on an l36? I am interested

and what kind of gains did you get?

ive always been worried about doing custom work like that,i never know if a part will work in a certain location or if the "steps" are there for a reason

but I guess that's what custom work is all about..figuring out and learning about what will work and what wont

Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 PM

10 Year Member

I think L26 swaps are not that common. That thread about my L26 swap is probably one of the most complete threads you can find. There are a couple others I found such as an impala, grand prix and we have a member here on MCF.com that replaced a blown L36 with an L26.

Admittedly, I did the L26 swap for looks. I wanted to get rid of the plastic intake and get something a bit more unique. As for gains, I either fixed something I did not know was broken or I really did get some gains. I have no numbers, but it feels peppier.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:41 PM

I love the way they look..after all my plans and time building a build sheet for an l67 I threw it all down the drain for the l36...there much more common here and in better shape..but I like how the l26 intake has the "snout" by the throttle body,it seems like it would flow better than the stock l36 intake

Old 05-17-2015, 07:41 PM

10 Year Member

I honestly don't know if that snout does anything good or bad for air flow. But if you notice, the air flow on a L36 from the back of the T-body goes to an oval like shape.
There are two L26 UIMs. Both have an obstruction because of the PCV stack (but one has a bigger obstruction then the other). I used the UIM with the lesser obstruction, but still hogged it out a little to keep the inlet more round and maybe flare into the main chamber.
I won't lie, mine took a LOT of time and all I had was a Dremel, an extension wand and a ton of bits from WS.
But I'm very happy with it. It's also great at car shows, you stand back in the distance and see people who thought they really knew these cars look confused at it.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 PM

it actually resembles a supercharger to me, and on the oval shape before the TB is the same way on a 3.4 it has a lot of weird spots in it

does the l26 intake bolt directly on or is it custom? and where can you get one from?i don't want to steal anyones idea so il do some custom work to make it my own lol

Old 05-17-2015, 09:43 PM

10 Year Member

For the most part the L26 UIM is a bolt on to the L36, minor changes. You need to address the PCV system and an issue with a vac line (as the original connection on the t-body gets pushed about 2-3 inches forward). You will also need an adapter plate to put a L36 or L67 T-body on it (the L26 T-body won't work since it's drive-by-wire). Check the thread I posted earlier here, I explained everything with pics.

As for getting one, junk yard or ebay. The aluminum intake was standard on all L26/Series III 3800s. If you look in the thread I posted, I also show the differences between the two different L26 UIMs (I had both in my garage at one point). There were some numbers on the two and I noted those in that thread as well.