Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A "Please help me with my personal relationship issues" thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A "Please help me with my personal relationship issues" thread

As the title says... lots of personal stuff going on here, so read on at your own risk.

So this story starts back in my sophomore year of college. I had changed majors and was in education classes with this girl and have known her now for over 3 years. However, I was in the beginning of hwat turned out to be a 2 year relationship and she was about to get engaged. So we had a "professional" friendship.

As our classes went on, we just somehow ended up on the same rotation having the same classes with each other, so we ended up talking to each more and more over the years and became friends. We did our practicum and student teaching experiences in the same school and woudl often take our problems and issues to each other. However, for a lot of this time, I had a relationship, and for all of this period of time, she was engaged to be married.

We had this one night class that was a disaster and we both hated it... so we talked and played on our laptops to each other a lot... this was before student teaching. We became pretty close friends during that class period somehow.

She has family issues between the fiance and her family, her family and the fiance, her and her fiances family, etc.. and this guy is 2 years younger than her. So she warns several of us that she actually cared about that she was going to delete her FAcebook and restart a new one later on.

So about a month after we both graduated college, I get a text message from her saying this is my new phone number. She gave her maiden name and I said "shouldn't you be ****** Bradley by now?" And she said "No, not happening, long story." She got back on Facebook and this is all over a summer while we're both looking for a job. We talked about our job woes with each other, talked about old college friends, and over time, talked about how each others long term relationships had come to an end.

I landed the job first, and I was trying to help her out by sending all of my calls for an interview after I landed a job to her. She ended up finding a job about a week and a half before school started. Since then, we have both been each others "Go to" for finding jobs, issues, etc...

Since she is starting to try to get back into dating, she eventually started brining the "Why do guys do this" or "What does it mean if a guy says this" questions to me. The two guys she dated recently, she brought me some of the things they were doing and saying to me, and I told her that I thought the one guy must be gay and not know it yet, and showed her how the other guy was just trying to take advantage of her.

And what all of this came down to was the two of us deciding to meet up and see each other in Raleigh, which is about the halfway point between us. (By the way, after college, we both ended up moving back home, which is about 100 miles apart for us, and Raleigh is about the halfway point.) The state fair is around nad I took her to a restaurant nearby and was about to take her to the fair, but she has been having an issue of some type with her stomach and ended up having to go home because she felt like walking aorund would make her throw up. She apologized to me for this several times.

And waht all of this comes down to for me is... I like this lady. We get each others humor, we share career goals, we both teach the same content area, we're the same age and class, we poke fun at our differences... but something has always between us. Before, it was an engagement ring, now it is distance and religion. However, I would really like to try to pursue a relationship with her and see how things go. Maybe if things went well, I would move closer to her next school year.

But, am I just a dreamer? And if I'm not, how can I express my feelings to her? How could I ever make this work?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
So about a month after we both graduated college, I get a text message from her saying this is my new phone number. She gave her maiden name and I said "shouldn't you be ****** Bradley by now?" And she said "No, not happening, long story." She got back on Facebook and this is all over a summer while we're both looking for a job. We talked about our job woes with each other, talked about old college friends, and over time, talked about how each others long term relationships had come to an end.
I like this lady. We get each others humor, we share career goals, we both teach the same content area, we're the same age and class, we poke fun at our differences... but something has always between us. Before, it was an engagement ring, now it is distance and religion. However, I would really like to try to pursue a relationship with her and see how things go. Maybe if things went well, I would move closer to her next school year.

But, am I just a dreamer? And if I'm not, how can I express my feelings to her? How could I ever make this work?
I don't think your a dreamer , She texted you her new phone number..
You just need to be there for her when she needs you..

Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

i agree your not a dreamer, there is feelings of some sort that she feels for you as well but both of you are to shy to bring it up is how i feel. my suggestion is when you two are hanging out and chatting in person sit her down and explain how you feel. tell her no matter what she decides you will still be the friend you are but you feel she is the right girl for you in your life on a more serious note. dont be pushy trying to make her feel bad and want to say yes etc. just be casual and take it from there.

i live by these few things in life:

-the answer "no" never killed anyone

-if its ment to be it will be, if its not ment to be it will not be

good luck man i really hope it works out well for you

Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Buy her roses and chocolate! Make the first, real move and go from there!

Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

It is a tough situation. I would say be honest with her and tell here you want to build a relationship with her that is more than just friends. Just remember it could become an awkward situation if she don't have the same interest as you. Good luck, we wish you the best.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 AM

How to Tell a Girl You Love Her Without Losing Her - Lovepanky

Click above link by the experts

Good Luck `Duane & to all that
`Love

p.s. The strongest foundation of any
relationship is honesty 4-Sure!

Last edited by Space; 10-15-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 AM

Update Please ?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for thinking of me, kid from 'Space. I haven't talked to her much since about Sunday. maybe she has been busy or something. We'll see how it goes later....

Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Wish you the best `Duane "Don't give `up 4-Sure"

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again"
Good things in life are always worth your time...
We will never know (?), unless we try.....

Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM

I would just tell her how I feel and ask her if she has those type of feelings for me. I think you have known her long enough to feel comfortable doing so.

Good luck...