Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you believe in alien life out there ?
Yes, I believe~~~~~~> *Multiple Choices)
100.00%
No way, I don't believe
0%
I believe in space
40.00%
I think space is a weird alien-type 4 -Sure
80.00%
I believe this is a waste of `space
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

> Alien planet closest ever found to Earth <

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool > Alien planet closest ever found to Earth <

Hi Member's,

New updated information released 2day..I'm posting to inform you that there maybe another planet like earth that we might be able to get to start all over again Maybe if we get another chance (?), we can get it right this time . This thread also fills up some empty space on the MCF...One never knows what they may learn when they visit the MCF 4-Sure
Stay in control or you may fall `off your planet ? WoW

Here's a cup of `space coffee to enjoy as you check `out the below ~> EnJoy Your choice

NBCNews.com
Alien planet at Alpha Centauri closest ever found to Earth
MCF `Space is HomeSick & is proof that aliens exist.
'Extraordinary discovery' has roughly our mass and may harbor other alien worlds as well

ESO / L. CalcadaThis artist's concept shows the newfound alien planet Alpha Centauri Bb, found in a three-star system just 4.3 light-years from Earth.

By Mike Wall & MCF`

updated <ABBR style="DISPLAY: inline" class="dtstamp updated" title=2012-10-16T23:00:58>10/16/2012 7:00:58 PM ET</ABBR>2012-10-16T23:00:58<!---Print--->
The star system closest to our own sun hosts a planet with roughly Earth's mass and may harbor other alien worlds as well, a new study reports.
Astronomers detected the alien planet around the sunlike star Alpha Centauri B, which is part of a three-star system just 4.3 light-years away from us. The newfound world is about as massive as Earth, but it's no Earth twin; its heat-blasted surface may be covered with molten rock, researchers said.
The mere existence of the planet, known as Alpha Centauri Bb, suggests that undiscovered worlds may lurk farther away from its star — perhaps in the habitable zone, that just-right range of distances where liquid water can exist.
<IFRAME height=307 src="http://assets1z.msnbc.msn.com/rendering/document/49439571/Default/IFrame" frameBorder=0 width=410 scrolling=no></IFRAME>
"Most of the low-mass planets are in systems of two, three to six or seven planets, out to the habitable zone," study co-author Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory told reporters Tuesday.
So the discovery "opens really good prospects for detecting planets in the habitable zone in a system that is very close to us," Udry added. "In that sense, this system is a landmark."
Alpha Centauri Bb zips around its star every 3.2 days, orbiting at a distance of just 3.6 million miles (6 million kilometers). For comparison, Earth orbits about 93 million miles, or 150 million km, from the sun. [ Gallery: Nearby Alien Planet Alpha Centauri Bb ]
A difficult detection
The research team, led by Xavier Dumusque of Geneva Observatory and the University of Porto in Portugal, spotted Alpha Centauri Bb using an instrument called the High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher, or HARPS.

HARPS is part of the European Southern Observatory's 11.8-foot (3.6 meters) telescope at the La Silla Observatory in Chile. The instrument allows astronomers to pick up the tiny gravitational wobbles an orbiting planet induces in its parent star.

In the case of Alpha Centauri Bb, these wobbles are very tiny indeed; the planet causes its star to move back and forth at no more than 1.1 mph (1.8 kph). It took more than 450 HARPS measurements spread out over four years of observing to detect the planet's signal, Dumusque said.
"It’s an extraordinary discovery, and it has pushed our technique to the limit," he said in a statement.
The detection, to be published Wednesday in the journal Nature, was so difficult that some astronomers aren't yet convinced that Alpha Centauri Bb exists.

Digitized Sky Survey 2This wide-field view of the sky around the bright star Alpha Centauri was created from photographic images forming part of the Digitized Sky Survey 2. The star appears so big just because of the scattering of light by the telescope's optics as well as in the photographic emulsion. Alpha Centauri is the closest star system to the Solar System.

For example, Artie Hatzes of the Thuringian State Observatory in Germany lauded the discoverers' technical achievement but said he believes the jury is still out.
"As the American astronomer Carl Sagan once said, 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence,'" Hatzes wrote in a commentary piece in the same issue of Nature. "Although a planetlike signal is present in the data, the discov­ery does not quite provide the 'extraordinary evidence.' It is a weak signal in the presence of a larger, more complicated signal. In my opin­ion, the matter is still open to debate."
Udry, however, said that the team's statistical analyses show a "false alarm probability" of just one in 1,000 — meaning there's a 99.9 percent chance that the planet exists.
And some experts don't agree with Hatzes that Alpha Centauri Bb requires extraordinary supporting evidence.

"The reason why this seems to be an extraordinary claim is because everyone has heard of Alpha Centauri B; it's a household name," said Greg Laughlin of the University of California, Santa Cruz, who was not part of the discovery team. "It's extraordinary not so much in terms of the robustness of the result, but rather just in terms of the fact that's it's a well-known nearby star."
  1. Space news from NBCNews.com

1. Astronauts have an ice cream party Science editor Alan Boyle's blog: The astronauts on the International Space Station are having ice cream for dessert — and we’re not talking about that spongy "astronaut ice cream" stuff.
    2. Mars rover studies rock that's a true curiosity
    3. Shuttle Endeavour is new L.A. 'star'
    4. Astronomers spot huge 'diamond planet'
A lava world?
Dumusque and his colleagues determined that Alpha Centauri Bb is about 13 percent more massive than Earth, suggesting it's a rocky world. In addition to being the closest known exoplanet, it's also the first planet with a mass similar to Earth ever found around a sunlike star, researchers said. [ Gallery: The Smallest Alien Planets ]
Alpha Centauri Bb's extreme closeness to its parent star probably gives the planet a surface temperature around 2,240 degrees Fahrenheit (1,227 degrees Celsius), making it unsuitable for life, researchers said.
"At this temperature, there is a lot of chance that the surface — if it's made of rock, for example — it's not solid, but it's more like lava," Dumusque told reporters Tuesday.

Even though it resides in a three-star system — consisting of close-orbiting Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, along with the more distant Proxima Centauri — the newfound world's orbit is stable over the long haul, Laughlin said. So are orbits in Alpha Centauri B's habitable zone, he added.
It's possible that Alpha Centauri A and Proxima Centauri may host planets as well, Udry said. The system will likely be the subject of newly intense scientific scrutiny, as astronomers seek to confirm the existence of Alpha Centauri Bb, learn more about it (such as whether or not it has an atmosphere) and hunt for additional nearby alien worlds.
"If you want to envision exploring this system, then it's almost twice as easy to get there as anywhere else," Laughlin said. "This is our backyard, and to find out that planet formation did occur there is just extraordinarily exciting."

Astronomers have now discovered more than 800 exoplanets, but thousands more — including 2,300 detected by NASA's planet-hunting Kepler Space Telescope — await confirmation by follow-up investigations. Work so far suggests that small, rocky planets such as Earth are quite common throughout our Milky Way galaxy. © 2012 Space.com. All rights reserved. More from Space.com.
Do you sometimes feel that you learned so much on the MCF that your brain is going to explode (LOL)...Now aren't you happy you got this far ?....The End

Last edited by Space; 10-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM

With all the stars out there (like our sun) and planets around them I think there is a good chance there is life out there.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I watch alot of the Discovery channel. And I believe there is someone else out there. or in another dimension. Ever wonder what would happen here on earth if we dicover life else where. better yet!!! If they land here 1st ! What that would do to our way of life ? Would it bring us all together ? OR WHAT ? . Kind of scary. Not knowing if their hostile or friendly. A lot to think about. Plus theres too many clues that there is life out there and its closer then we think it is. Only because our & other goverments don't or won't tell us the truth. When 2 or 3 presidents try to find out if there is. And they tell him. It's higher then TOP SECERT. And he doesn't need to know!! Who says he the most powerful man on earth then?? Just who is running our country and our world. If its not the President of the USA ??

Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I beleive there are other forms of life out there. Space is so vast would be closed minded not to believe

Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I'm not much into the science fiction movies or shows like star wars or x files but I think there could be life on other planets in other galaxies.
The truth is out there.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I never searched for any .com's with this type of interest. I wonder it there is a blog or a site that deals with the truth on this subject ?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
I never searched for any .com's with this type of interest. I wonder it there is a blog or a site that deals with the truth on this subject ?

Yes `Rick, there are many sites on this topic/subject,
just do a Google search & you will find 4-Sure...

Many types of alien beings are often seen on alien spacecraft

Below are just two that you may enjoy
  • Different Types of Alien Beings

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">www.aliens-everything-you-want-to-know.com/DifferentTypesofAli...</CITE>
    What is preventing open human contact with space aliens? The answermay surprise you. Here is what you need to know..

• List of alleged extraterrestrial beings - Wikipedia, the free ...

<CITE style="FONT-STYLE: normal; COLOR: rgb(0,153,51)">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alleged_extraterrestrial_beings</CITE>
    Andromedans, Mirrored People - Alien Being (Energy Being), Glass People - Alien Being (Energy Being), Sharif Nicholson - Alien Being (Energy Being), ...

Thanks everyone for your posts & comments + keeping a open mind about this topic & what maybe out there ?

Last edited by Space; 10-17-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I am kind of on the fence about it
I think Human Beings got lucky that we were "created". we had the right conditions at the right time to make organisms to evolve into human beings.
I think that's absolutely one in a gazillion-million shot there.
Finding another planet to the the perfect amount of distance away from their sun, with the perfect atmosphere, with the perfect amount of water on it, ect ect, it truly impossible to find.

But then again, nothings impossible.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Lets hope things dont turn out like Prometheus lol!!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Outer space is such a huge, vast expanse. I have to think that there is some kind of life on another planet somewhere. Even if you want to take the religious view on creation. Who's to say God didn't create other forms of life on a distant planet somewhere?

Quick Reply: > Alien planet closest ever found to Earth <