Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

NEW weapon targets used by Law Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In a LEO's situation, I would think the plan would be to neutralize the threat. Don't always need to kill on the first shot. A kid with daddy's handgun is very different from a situation where a platoon is faced with a kid with a bomb strapped to him.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Sure I agree one needs to identify and assess the threat and these things help. But as it says Homeland Security is buying most of them, and they just bought 2 billion bullets. And they don't deploy overseas. It's like a strange scenario where they are desynthesizing agents to engage once off limit targets. As Lou says, if a young child has a pistol is he a real enough threat to double tap him or should they try to contain the situation till a parent can be brought into the equation. And I agree if any A-hole is out there walking the streets popping of rounds he has made a target of himself to LEO or a CCW or Open carry citizen. I just find it odd the new targets are similiating the normal everyday Joe or Jane, like a big round up could be in the offing and they don't want their agents to hesitate if threatened. I mean the boy is just that about an 8 year old, not the 15 year old who is more prone to flipping out. And not to many pregnant women in the news I have heard of out packing pistols acting out offensively against people. Wild world coming in my opinion...

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Greg:
IMO Its already here! The D is getting way outa hand.... Its all over the news each and everyday! But its such a tragedy when an innocent child (babys) get caught in the crossfire!

Fortunately, I no longer live "IN" the city of Detroit. But the city is starting to move to our suburbs... In there lies the problem... Kinda like locust in the fields.... The city of detroit is used up.... So, they have moved on to the still fertile fields! (Suburbs)

Whats this world comeing to?

REVOLUTION!

Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Greg, I do think it's disturbing to see those kinds of targets. But in many areas, the 18 and under aged kids are the more dangerous ones out there packing a gun. Dave said it himself. Detroit is a good example of this. I'm sure other major cities are like that also.

If you don't live around the Detroit area, you don't see or hear what it's really like in that city. The tragic events we all occasionally hear about on CNN in other areas, happen every day in Detroit. Detroit police are more likely to run into a 10 year old playing with a gun, than a 35-40 year old. You never hear about all the tragedies and crime in Detroit on CNN or other national newscasts. Because people in other parts of the country just expect that stuff from Detroit. National newscasts didn't consider it news when a young mother stabbed her 8 year old daughter to death recently in Detroit. If it happened somewhere else, Nancy Grace would spend the next 3 years talking about it.

In some areas those new targets are more realistic to what LEO's are likely to see each day. It's disturbing that it's come to that. It's messed up. But some parts of the country are messed up. And most of the blame can be put on the economy. People do strange things when they're desperate.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's a piece of paper.. they don't need to be shooting images of women or people in general. It's pretty ridiculous IMO.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
It's a piece of paper.. they don't need to be shooting images of women or people in general. It's pretty ridiculous IMO.
Exactly, why not make silhouettes. And why must Homeland Security be the ones buying most of these not LEO?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Exactly, why not make silhouettes. And why must Homeland Security be the ones buying most of these not LEO?
Part of training is to identify the target. If they used silhouettes it would be impossible to distinguish the difference between the target and innocent bystanders.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about. Law enforcement has been using these type of targets for decades. This appears to be nothing more then someone using this to further their own personal goals and agenda. They only tell one side of the story and purposely sensationalize certain topics (such as one target being a pregnant woman) to put people in panic mode...the exact result they hoped for.