Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

NEW weapon targets used by Law Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default NEW weapon targets used by Law Enforcement

Came across this article. Anyone see anything wrong with this picture? Guess anyone is a threat now or what. Just seems wrong to me...

Prison Planet.com
February 20, 2013

Law Enforcement Targets, Inc., a provider of shooting targets to the Department of Homeland Security, has admitted that targets depicting pregnant women were “requested” by law enforcement agencies.

As you can hear in the YouTube clip above, Blaine Cooper enquired about the company’s “no hesitation” targets, which also feature children, elderly gun owners and mothers in playgrounds, and was told that the target showing a pregnant woman was a “requested law enforcement target for training.”

The representative refused to answer why police would be interested in training to shoot pregnant women, but went on to explain, “unfortunately our world is made up of people, pregnant or otherwise, that are gun owners not for the right reasons,” adding that the targets were to “train police officers”.

The woman refused to give her name, accusing Cooper of being “angry.” “Could you understand why I’m upset if the government is trying to make targets to kill citizens – I don’t feel that’s right,” he responded.

Cooper also makes reference to the DHS’ purchase of 2 billion bullets, “enough rounds to kill every citizen of the United States five times over.”

The representative also claims that the targets could be used for “don’t shoot” training, which is somewhat dubious given that they are called “no hesitation” targets and every single one of them is described as a “threat” target in the product description.

The shooting targets, intended to “help the transition for officers who are faced with these highly unusual targets for the first time,” include “pregnant woman threat,” “older man with shotgun,” “older man in home with shotgun,” “older woman with gun,” “young school aged girl,” “young mother on playground,” and “little boy with real gun.”

Our story yesterday about the targets caused outrage, crashing Law Enforcement Targets, Inc.’s website and leading the company to release a statement on Facebook inviting comment and criticism about the products.

LET Inc brags on its website that it is a full service provider of training targets for the DHS, the Justice Department and thousands of law enforcement agencies throughout the country. The company has has racked up $5.5 million worth of contracts with the federal government, with almost $2 million dollars coming from Homeland Security.

Another customer who called the company claims he was told that the targets were, “strictly for Department of Homeland Security and other law enforcement agencies.”

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

what is wrong with this country

Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM

I find Nothing wrong with it no matter what as a cop if somone is gonna shoot you. you need to be unafraid to shoot back. I'd rather be trained with such to be prepared and be ready to protect. plus these have always exsisted doesnt make it more likely a pregnant woman will get shot at all

Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO:

Thats just friggn rediculous!

Seriously Sick!

It makes it look like the revolution and doomsday preppers all in one?

Whats next?Zombies????

Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Well it presents law enforcement with a dilemma. It's a test of a cop's reaction. It makes them think about who they're shooting at. And presents a moral dilemma. Do they not shoot and risk being killed themself? And if they don't shoot, that person may end up killing someone else.

Or does the cop shoot and live with the knowledge he/she shot a child or a pregnant woman.

I'm sure some of our military members can shed some light on this. But I imagine military personelle go through the same test. In war, the enemy doesn't always play fair. There are instances where enemy forces strapped bombs to women and children and taking out US troops.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM

5 Year Member

I couldnt agree more Lou.... Kinda like the Japanese zeros back in WII.

But after a second look...the pregnant women looks like my sister in law!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I've heard vietnam did that.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I've heard vietnam did that.
Yes they did!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Well, you look at what and who they use in Afghanistan to kill Americans and their own: they use children and women. If a soldier (or LEO) hesitates for just one second in a moral dilemma of "I can't shoot a kid," you could end up getting your entire unit blown up and killed. You need to be mentally prepared to kill anyone who poses a threat like that in an instant. That's the reality, and although it's less likely to happen here, we aren't immune to it happening on in our own country either.

It is unsettling, though, and in the context of the article it makes it sound ridiculous. But sadly, it's not unheard of.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think officers need to be trained and prepared for anything. Im sure no cop wants to shoot a kid or a pregnant woman but would in a matter of life or death.

Quick Reply: NEW weapon targets used by Law Enforcement